Native Orchids - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #1

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Native Orchids

Like to photograph and draw them
Ladies Tresses, different Slippers, Corral Roots, Rattlesnake Plantains and more
Anyone else?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Anyone else?
No, but I would love to see some of your photos and drawings of them.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Orchids

Yes, I have spent some time photographing and recording the species. Wisconsin and Minnesota are full of bogs, a good place to find them. Photography in a bog is not an easy task, low light, wet ground and in some cases hard to see plants can make it a challenge.

For me, drawing is best left to others, I would be interested in seeing some of your work.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Your topic on wild orchids got me to thinking...Are there wild orchids in California, where I live? My Google search shows 32 species of orchids in this state Native Orchids of California. Who knew? I certainly didn't. My husband is an avid orchid grower, mostly cymbidiums and cattleyas. I remember seeing wild orchids in the cloud forest of Costa Rica. The blossoms were tiny, only 1/2 - 1" across. It was a thrill to find them! I can only imagine the thrill you have when spotting your local flora! I'm looking forward to photos.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #5

Ontario
Registry
Orcids

Some pictures from this summer

Cypripedium (slippers)think they # 47 types
First is a Yellow Ladies Slipper grows in our back yard next to the house
like it damp but will grow around beaches and along road sides
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1214.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	52751

Second is Rams Head found near where we parked the trailer found along paths and sandy areas

Name:	20100625_44.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	52752

Third is Stripped Corral Root they also are found in Spotted type
All corral roots have no roots but corral like members in the ground they like dry pine needle beds this one is not a slipper

Name:	20100625_61.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	52753

Have many more photos Orchidaceae come in three classes as you Paul would know would like to see some of yours
We have 57 types in Canada and 52 grow within an hours drive of our home
They do not bloom all in early spring some found as late as Sept.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #6

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
Yes, I have spent some time photographing and recording the species. Wisconsin and Minnesota are full of bogs, a good place to find them. Photography in a bog is not an easy task, low light, wet ground and in some cases hard to see plants can make it a challenge.

For me, drawing is best left to others, I would be interested in seeing some of your work.
While with my Uncle one year we stopped to have lunch on the edge of a floating bog Spam cut 1/4" thick on bread (fancy meal). While making our sandwiches he noticed a little green orchid 3 to 3 1/2" in height grass colour with 1/16" flowers on the top 3/4" of the stem. What a find we could have looked for a lifetime for it and never had the thrill of seeing this type. You will have other fun stories in your adventures

foot note: looked like a blade of grass from standing height! even the flowers were grass green.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #7

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Not to many orchids, I really got hooked on fungi while spending a year in Western North Carolina. All of the fungi in these pics occurred within a 1 mile area.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1122327...sAndAFewOthers
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #8

Ontario
Registry
The local orchids can take as much as 17 years to go from seed to plant. Slippers have a larger seed and some types this has been collected and planted. Best to purchase seed. Got White slipper seed at a seed exchange one year.
Others are fine dust like seed and all are protected plants never pick or dig them up. People have thought they moved them successfully but they do not come up every year these plants can live 9 plus years so you can not knowingly dig up several if left you can go back to known locations to enjoy them year after year. Something to share with trusted Friends and family. Minute changes to the location can spell doom for a location so we tread lightly
P.S. got Purple fringed orchid this year; will have to go walk the dogs they are crossing their legs
Old 11-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #9

Ontario
Registry
Cat Futrell great shots! thanks for sharing the link.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #10

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Thanks Borden,

Great info on the native orchids. There are a number of the natives here in Florida but I haven't had a chance to get out with my camera here. While in NC, I did see several. One being a lady slipper. They are becoming far and few between. People dig them thinking they will grow in their garden only to find that they have very specific needs. I read that the NC lady slippers need a mold that grows in just the right combination of compost to survive. It is a shame that they are being harvested only to die.
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #11

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
Thanks Borden,

Great info on the native orchids. There are a number of the natives here in Florida but I haven't had a chance to get out with my camera here. While in NC, I did see several. One being a lady slipper. They are becoming far and few between. People dig them thinking they will grow in their garden only to find that they have very specific needs. I read that the NC lady slippers need a mold that grows in just the right combination of compost to survive. It is a shame that they are being harvested only to die.
So true and example is Coral Roots use a specific type of fungus/mold that tries to eat seed covering this allows the plant to germinate than it eats the fungus/mold for food the rest of its life giving and taking in a symbiotic relationship (often referred to patristic).
We do not give out actual locations of finds to just anyone only those we trust
The one on left is Showy Ladies slipper it is a large orchid can be 14" tall and right side is Ladies tesses 6" tall Ladies tresses have more than on type
Attached Thumbnails
Dsc00690.jpg   DSC06652.jpg  

Old 11-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #12

Ontario
Registry
Digging them up is a problem for all that care, that is why seed was mentioned but success is rare as they need specific soil e.g. wind blown shore sand edges, swamp, floating bog, dry sandy, dunes, rocky, acidic or alkaline, ground covers e.g. pine needle beds for Rattle Snake Plantains, mold, fungus and lighting. Each has a unique requirement. We want them around for our grandchildren to enjoy.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #13

Ontario
Registry
This is another type of Laddies Tresses
it has a blunt top flowers a at 90 degress apart and stands only 4" tall
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06666.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #14

Ontario
Registry
P.S. do not know why this site is turning them side ways but enjoy have many many more to show in future hope other will add to the images
Old 11-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #15

Ontario
Registry
Just one last today this one is only 4" tall
Did I mention the Rams Head orchid shown prior the flower is 1/2" size flower also the Ladies Tresses flowers are about 3/16" is size. The Showy had a 1 1/2" wide slipper part they can be 6" plus with petals, The largest I have seen is a purple orchid found in the Mar Area 7" wide flower yet the smallest one was only 1/16" including all peddles.

All pictures taken with a Sony Alpha and Sigma 105mm Macro
Attached Thumbnails
Orichid summer.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Those are some beautiful orchid photos Borden. Many of mine are still on slide film, back in the days of Kodachrome 32. Great colors but hard to work with and even harder to handle in the digital age.

Here are several from my collection. The first is a Calypso or Fairy Slipper, this is my favorite. The second is a Northern Green Orchis and grows in wet bogs, this plant is only about three inches high and a challenge to photograph. The third is a Small Round Leaved Orchis, it is really a spiral of flowers but this is photographed with a macro lens. The final orchid is a Moccasin Flower or sometimes called the Pink Lady Slipper.

I believe most of these were photographed in or around Lake Itasca State Park in Minnesota. Minnesota has designated areas that are regulated and open by permit only. One particular bog was were several came from.
Attached Thumbnails
scan0004.jpg   scan0003.jpg  

IMG_2871b.jpg   IMG_2862.jpg  

Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #17

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
Those are some beautiful orchid photos Borden. Many of mine are still on slide film, back in the days of Kodachrome 32. Great colors but hard to work with and even harder to handle in the digital age.

Here are several from my collection. The first is a Calypso or Fairy Slipper, this is my favorite. The second is a Northern Green Orchis and grows in wet bogs, this plant is only about three inches high and a challenge to photograph. The third is a Small Round Leaved Orchis, it is really a spiral of flowers but this is photographed with a macro lens. The final orchid is a Moccasin Flower or sometimes called the Pink Lady Slipper.

I believe most of these were photographed in or around Lake Itasca State Park in Minnesota. Minnesota has designated areas that are regulated and open by permit only. One particular bog was were several came from.
Great shots Paul remember first time I got to see Calypso amazing how it blends in the background. Small round leaf is a rare find in our area; well done. One of my favourite finds was a large patch of Hookers orchids the way the sun hit it just did not translate on film; not as rare as the Small Round Leaf
We have a Canon Slide and Negative scanner; it is scanner in lid and base both scans from both top and bottom gets all the detail (wife got it for me) Used Cannon cameras in the film days with a Canon macro
The Northern Green wow grate timing
Old 11-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #18

Ontario
Registry
This one could go unnoticed no macro with me but still worth the shot, orchid is growing on rock moss but little to no soil
Attached Thumbnails
Green.jpg   Green one.jpg  

Green two.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #19

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Beautiful shots! They are such amazing plants.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #20

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
lovely pictures of beautiful flowers.
i highly recomend not moving them. enjoy them where they are.
plus many plants are very protected and its a crime to pick, or dig them.
one way to locate more is to volunteer with your local stewardship program. usually run by your natural resources or state game department.
these programs seak volunteers to help eradicate invasive speci, and promote reclimation of natural areas to their original state.
spemd a day each month working with them and you will learn alot about the natural plants in your area and where to find different types.
plus you meet great folks , get some exercise, and actually do more to make our planet healthy then most people even know.