New V6 Canyon/GMC Colorado Tow Review - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat > Hobbies & Passions
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-13-2015, 06:36 AM   #1
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
New V6 Canyon/GMC Colorado Tow Review

It's no secret that many forum members here are using some sort of pick up truck to tow their trailers.

This morning on another forum there was a very good towing review that I thought would be of interest to some folks here.

I was impressed with the capabilities of the new mid sized GM trucks and the overview of the safety issue about the weak GM hitch.

Hope this article helps with anyone looking to buy one of these new trucks.

New Canyon & Colorado - Airstream Forums
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Certainly an interesting Personal Opinion piece about a truck that, basically, had almost the same towing specifications in the 2003 model.

In that he claimed that the hitch mount was damaged it would have helped if he had mentioned the total weight and hitch weight of the 34' trailer he was towing that caused that damage in such a short time. IMHO: If a new vehicle is unable to support it's specifications the answer is to communicate with the manufacturer, not to start doing ones own modifications.

And, as far as the ratings being to high, most truck owners don't use them to tow travel trailers, but many use them to tow work & equipment trailers, where weight capacity is of interest and frontal area is a lesser concern.

But that said, it was a positive review for those of us in the FGRV sector who would not be towing at or over the maximum limit of that truck anyway.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #3

For those interested in the current 2015 Canyon/Colorado, and want something more in-depth, I found this series useful. You will have to scroll to the bottom of the page to find the first installment in the series.
2015 GMC Canyon long-term review Archives » AutoGuide.com News
Again, it is an opinion piece, but it reflects more information about the truck itself than a 40 miles test tow might impart.

BTW: any frame/hitch damage caused while towing within mfg's specifications, would be covered by mfg's warrantee for at least the first two years.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Certainly an interesting Personal Opinion piece about a truck that, basically, had almost the same towing specifications in the 2003 model.

But that said, it was a positive review for those of us in the FGRV sector who would not be towing at or over the maximum limit of that truck anyway.
Like virtually all reviews it's a 'Personal Opinion', however from a recognized experienced professional.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I am very interested in this truck. I want to downsize from my Silverado 2500HD once my fifth wheel is sold. I like the compact dimensions of the Colorado/Canyon.

Besides the new Oliver, I also have a Yamaha jet boat that tips the scales around 5200 lbs. I was thinking the Colorado/Canyon with a 7000 lbs tow rating would be a good match for both trailer and boat.

I'd really rather not wait for the diesel version. Diesels are good for big towing, but the noise and pricey fuel are still downsides.

I found this piece enlightening:

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #6

My comments were based on what was written, not who wrote it.

The writer seems to be suggesting that the hitch area is not designed to meet the manufacturers specifications.

According to a listing posted on another Airstream forum:
http://www.airstream.com/wp-content/...me-Weights.pdf
The "Dry Weight" of a 30' Airstream Classic is 6382 lbs with a tongue weight of 880 lbs, suggesting that the trailer in the test, unless it was completely empty and dry, could have been over the design towing weight specifications for the TV.

Sometimes more questions are left unanswered than are answered.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #7

South Carolina
There is no telling what his real weights were, as well as any craziness imposed with his WD setup. There are lots of threads on that forum where people have actually damaged their trailers with the weight distributing hitch set up too rigid.

I suspect he was way over 7000 lbs, as well as beyond the spec for the tongue weight.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #8
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
There is no telling what his real weights were, as well as any craziness imposed with his WD setup. There are lots of threads on that forum where people have actually damaged their trailers with the weight distributing hitch set up too rigid.

I suspect he was way over 7000 lbs, as well as beyond the spec for the tongue weight.
Generally speaking from what I have seen/read the author tests trailers empty as he is an RV dealer. He also uses and recommends the "Easy Lift" brand of WDH that is the most gentle brand of WDH's on the market.

One would also suspect that any component or factory option on a vehicle has headroom built into it's spec. Also note GM has a record of building weak factory receivers. The forum chatter grapevine is full of accounts of bending, breaking GM receivers.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #9

South Carolina
Interesting.

I've never heard of broken GM receivers before. I'd like to see someone try to bend the one on my Silverado - it's a Class V rated at over 17000 lbs!

Sometimes dealers will sell you a bigger WDH than you really need. They come in various weight classifications. So if you have an 800 lb tongue weight, and expect it to be 1000 loaded, you should buy the 1000 lb bars. You may be tempted to buy the 1200 lbs bars thinking you'd have headroom just in case. What you end up doing is having unnecessarily stiff bars and thus put too much stress on the trailer tongue and frame. You'd actually be better off erring on the size of picking bars too small - especially with lightweight trailers like FRP's and Airstreams.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Weight rating of bars

Quote:
Interesting.

I've never heard of broken GM receivers before. I'd like to see someone try to bend the one on my Silverado - it's a Class V rated at over 17000 lbs!

Sometimes dealers will sell you a bigger WDH than you really need. They come in various weight classifications. So if you have an 800 lb tongue weight, and expect it to be 1000 loaded, you should buy the 1000 lb bars. You may be tempted to buy the 1200 lbs bars thinking you'd have headroom just in case. What you end up doing is having unnecessarily stiff bars and thus put too much stress on the trailer tongue and frame. You'd actually be better off erring on the size of picking bars too small - especially with lightweight trailers like FRP's and Airstreams.
When we bought our Casita , we purchased. the factory WDH option. The hitch came with the 600 lb bars. When the bars were stolen a year later , the local RV place tried to sell me 1000 lb bars , telling me " Size doesn't matter."
I called the WDH manufacturer and was told the exact opposite and for the reasons mentioned by Ron . I purchased new 600 lb bars from the tmanufacturer.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Also note GM has a record of building weak factory receivers. The forum chatter grapevine is full of accounts of bending, breaking GM receivers.
Hummm, have a family that has been pulling for years large/heavy boats such as Off Shore Pursuits and Grady Whites with GM Trucks and have never heard any of them mention a bent receiver in all the years they have been doing it and all the GM trucks they have collectively owned.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #12

Weak GM Reveivers?????

Quote:
(clip) "Also note GM has a record of building weak factory receivers. The forum chatter grapevine is full of accounts of bending, breaking GM receivers.
"

I have used GM products for towing since my 1972 Blazer/Airstream combination I have never heard that allegation either

I thinks that specific supporting examples are in order before making that statement.

Anecdotal reports, especially from a part of town that may see manufacturer's specifications as "suggestive", may have some value, but not without complete details.

I looked on the huge S-10 forum I belong to and didn't find a single mention of a factory installed hitch failing.

If this is a real problem it is something that should be brought to the attention of the NHTSA and General Motors. I am forwarding this entire thread and the original link to GM's Safety Reporting Hotline for comment.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #13
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Interesting.

I've never heard of broken GM receivers before.
There are many reports Ron... Here is just one that came up on a 2 second Google search.... Not a pretty sight.

GM Hitch Failure Can Happen to You
Attached Thumbnails
GM Hitch -on-Truck-1024x768.jpg  
Old 03-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If you go to the Ford, Chevrolet ,Dodge , Ram forums ,there are hundreds of posts concerning factory installed hitch failures on all brands .All of the truck manufacturers require a WDH to achieve full towing capacity. The majority of the hitch problems seem to stem from not using a WDH as directed . The necessary information about towing is in the owners manual ,the problem is getting people to read and follow the manual IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #15

Interesting article that, as the "victim" points out, underscores the need to inspect, inspect and inspect your equipment.

He has a 2007 vehicle and a 2011 trailer and is towing at near the maximum capacity. And, although he said that he had the trailer weighed several times, he did not share those numbers.

Then he took it on a 1500(?) mile trip and acknowledged that it was towing poorly but did not really inspect the situation until he got back home where he found that the receiver had separated from the hitch mount (not the vehicle frame)

Even the most casual observer can see that the problem wasn't the design or strength of the hitch, but in the condition it had been allowed to get into over at least 5 some years of use. There was visual evidence or rust all over the hitch and that should have served as a warning to not use it, especially at maximum rated load. The welds that broke were badly rusted and weakened and that damage was also very apparent.

That said, this could have been any MFG's hitch, there is nothing about it that makes it uniquely a GM problem. Plus the allegation made in the link described a NEW hitch that bent and distorted, not one that had rusty welds fail.

Here's what the owner really said in taking the blame for this failure upon themselves: (emphasis added)

"We are not advocating going out and changing hitches, nor are we saying GM factory hitches are a risk. What we are saying is pay attention and look after your equipment. Safety is something we should not take for granted. Yes when we look at the pictures, we still get chills down our spine thinking, if it was just a few moments earlier…."

BTW: What is the picture of the S-10 and the teardrop all about, neither one is a part of the story.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
There are many reports Ron... Here is just one that came up on a 2 second Google search.... Not a pretty sight.

GM Hitch Failure Can Happen to You
Hummm I see a hitch that at the time of failure was 4 years old with lots of rust on it.... not said what was pulled with it prior. Also not said where the poster is located but funny enough Hidden Hitch replaced a 4 year old hitch that I had installed on my Subaru Outback after it developed heavy rust & I was no longer confident in its structural integrity - neither was the hitch shop that originally installed it. The rust was thought to be due to heavy exposure to road salt as I do travel in the mountains a lot in winter months.

Always best to inspect your hitch for heavy rust etc prior to using each year as all makes/brands are subject to failure depending on use and weather exposure.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #17

Add to that, the 2011 "Spree" can be up to 34' long and weigh over 6700 lbs dry & empty. As always, missing information leaves "The rest of the story" for another day
Here's a link to typical Spree sizes and weights: 2011 Spree Price, 2011 Spree Values & 2011 Spree Specs | NADAguides
And here's a link to the web site for current models:
K-Z Recreational Vehicles: Spree® Travel Trailers
If the exact model is known, there is an archive for 2011 here:
K-Z Recreational Vehicles: Brochure Archive

But Kudos to the O.P. for accepting responsibility for the failure and not just blaming it on the mfg.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #18
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
I am very interested in this truck. I like the compact dimensions of the Colorado/Canyon.
Ron, I find the size impressive too. I never did understand the value of bulk and weight of a basic full size pick up considering their capabilities.*

This new Canyon is a reasonable size and comes with very good abilities as the link in post #1 demonstrates. It would make for a great TV for most glass egg folks who want a nice pick up.

*Note..... The new aluminum Ford F150 lost 600+ lbs and the tow rating went up.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #19

Yep, I hear that Ford is replacing the all steel King Ranch special version with the new aluminum "Brewski Can" version.... LOL

Old 03-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Ron, I find the size impressive too. I never did understand the value of bulk and weight of a basic full size pick up considering their capabilities.*

This new Canyon is a reasonable size and comes with very good abilities as the link in post #1 demonstrates. It would make for a great TV for most glass egg folks who want a nice pick up.
I was pretty disappointed when GM was slow in introducing the new Canyon when I was in the market for a midsize truck... only had two chooses of trucks in midsize at the time with the tow cap I wanted. Was not able to wait for GM to introduce the new Canyon so opted to buy a lightly used truck of another brand in the meantime. When the time comes to replace current truck the GM lot will be my first stop for a test drive, although I have to admit I am pretty happy with the current Nissan truck I have. As someone who drives a lot in a big city a midsize truck is pretty well the only way to go if you every want to find a parking spot.