Parking restrictions moving West - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat > Hobbies & Passions
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 12:29 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Parking restrictions moving West

I think this is new. Some of the Walmart’s in Idaho now ban ALL RV parking.
I did not see this two years ago when I was there. I like shopping at Walmart when on the road because it is easy to find things in the store.
Attached Thumbnails
no parking.jpg  
Old 06-02-2022, 12:53 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I did not see this two years ago when I was there. I like shopping at Walmart when on the road because it is easy to find things in the store.
Does that mean we can't even stop there to shop, if we are pulling a trailer? Is it just a certain area of their parking lot, or the whole place?
Old 06-02-2022, 01:22 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Before we call the tow truck, can we bring in the grammar police? It should read "at any time," not "at anytime."
Old 06-02-2022, 05:25 PM   #4

Name: Skip
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
I think some of the municipalities didn't like the free parking because it took revenue away from local RV parks. Also some trailer folks acted like trailer trash and treated the parking lot like an open dumpster. I saw this first hand at the WM not too far from us.
Old 06-02-2022, 05:39 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Well, numerous bad apples can spoil things for everyone to paraphrase and mix a metaphor
https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...DOQhobRLY,st:0
I’ve never stayed in any of these places, just haven’t ever needed to. I did stay in the Cabelas camping area in their designated area in Billings Montana though.
Nice enough.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-02-2022, 06:07 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Because of homeless and illegals living in RV's and trashing parking lots many cities and Walmart have made it illegal to park overnight in their parking lots. It took the parking away from good people that shopped and even picked up trash in the parking lots as we did sometimes. It is OK to park in the lots while shopping and the signs are done wrong. It should say overnight. We now find other lots to stop in at night and sleep. We stopped in a Flying J and there was 5 cars of homeless there. Some of them even built fires on the grass on the edge of the parking lots. We got there late evening and left early morning. Don't need to spend $40 or more to sleep only. That is why we use parking lots sometimes. It is not to live in them or use like a campground. But once we asked for our money back from a campground and opted to stay in a parking lot the second night we were in the area because the parking lot was much better than the campground that gave nice spots to long term staying customers and put us in an area they used to dump junk in and was very unlevel. It was also about 50 feet from the interstate. They had nice sites unused but wouldn't let overnighters use them.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:05 AM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Overnight parking

This is here in Williamsburg VA also.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:48 AM   #8

Name: DaveWI
Trailer: 2014 16‘ Scamp Deluxe
Wisconsin
My advice: flag down a cop or go to the PD and ask where there would be a good place to park. Most police appreciate someone asking. Tell them how long you plan to be there. Let them know that you don’t intend to use the spot as a campsite. Just saying….
Old 06-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWI View Post
My advice: flag down a cop or go to the PD and ask where there would be a good place to park. Most police appreciate someone asking. Tell them how long you plan to be there. Let them know that you don’t intend to use the spot as a campsite. Just saying….
Have you done this? And, how were you received?
Old 06-03-2022, 12:20 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Maybe this is just a Canada thing, but I have frequently slept in rest stops along the highway. We have some very nice rest stops. With picknick tables, out houses and all.

I planned to be able to be on the road in 10 minutes, if the local police objected. However, that has never happened.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:50 PM   #11

Arkansas
I would not overnight in a rest stop in the USA.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:57 PM   #12

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydog View Post
Why not?
Old 06-03-2022, 04:02 PM   #13

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
Why not?
Too many nut jobs out there. Our country is not what it used to be.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:58 PM   #14

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Maybe this is just a Canada thing....
Could be. It's pretty safe in Canada, apparently. Seems to regularly rank in the top 10 safest.
Old 06-03-2022, 05:27 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: In the Market
Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWI View Post

I flagged down a cop to ask directions one time. He freaked out and started yelling and cussing. Another time I was parked at the entrance to a hotel and a cop pulled up and demanded I move even though I was in the unloading/loading area with suitcases in hand. I was threatened with arrest and screamed at again by another psycho cop. I'd really advise you to not contact the police unless your life was in actual danger and you needed EMS. Categorizing most police off of one interaction is just like generalizing the safety of a third world country based off a quick vacation there. Oh yeah Mexico was so safe nothing happened to us. But I heard the bar go shot up the day after we left and 4 tourists were shot. Oh well. It was so cheap! The Riviera Maya is so beautiful. Lovely people.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:29 PM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Could be. It's pretty safe in Canada, apparently. Seems to regularly rank in the top 10 safest.
Is it true that US citizens traveling through Canada to Alaska with RVs are required to stay in hotels/motels and not allowed to overnight in their RVs (because of covid)?
Old 06-03-2022, 09:39 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Is it true that US citizens traveling through Canada to Alaska with RVs are required to stay in hotels/motels and not allowed to overnight in their RVs (because of covid)?
If I wanted to know the rules, I would look up Canada Border Services Agency.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html
Old 06-03-2022, 10:16 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I think you are misreading that sign.
Likely refers to large Motorhomes not RV trailers.
It also says no trucks,Likely refers to semis and large straight trucks... I am sure nearly half the vehicles in the lot on any given day are trucks!
Old 06-03-2022, 10:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydog View Post
Thanks for leaving my spot open!
Old 06-03-2022, 10:54 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Have you done this? And, how were you received?
I did it in Kanab, Utah. One night late, I asked a cop where I could park till morning. He was very friendly and directed me to the Wendy's parking lot. Plenty of room and others were there too.

We just got back from almost a month, and 5,300 miles, to the Oliver Rally at Lake Guntersville, AL. We spent a week at McFarland Park in Florence, AL, paid for those nights, but everywhere else on the entire trip, we stayed for free in legitimate places with zero hassle. Never a Walmart. This is the third time we have done this same trip and we've done it the same way every time. Except on the first trip, where we stayed one night at a Walmart in Houston because it was near a tire store we had to visit 1st thing in the morning.

Tags
vin