Parking restrictions moving West - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 10:58 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydog View Post
I would not overnight in a rest stop in the USA.
I do it regularly. There are some very nice rest stops in the US and they seem perfectly safe.
Old 06-04-2022, 05:15 AM   #22

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Is it true that US citizens traveling through Canada to Alaska with RVs are required to stay in hotels/motels and not allowed to overnight in their RVs (because of covid)?
I easily found this via Google, hope it helps. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ions/isolation FWIW, I can remember using encyclopedias for strange random questions. The internet/Google, etc. makes it much easier though you have to be able to judge the quality of the source.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:23 PM   #23

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Wisconsin
My favorite camp ground

Well, this is my favorite camp ground.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2022, 05:10 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Though I’ve not stayed in either, the rest stops in Iowa
Are pretty quiet, regularly the local highway patrol officers pull though them and look things over. I’m noticing more Walmarts with signs prohibiting overnight stops.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-11-2022, 11:25 PM   #25

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
And this lawsuit is not going to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I think this is new. Some of the Walmart’s in Idaho now ban ALL RV parking.I did not see this two years ago when I was there. I like shopping at Walmart when on the road because it is easy to find things in the store.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/sisters-a...171500335.html
Old 08-12-2022, 07:00 AM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sadly, even a total RV parking ban would have been unlikely to prevent this horrible tragedy. The van in which the fire started was a self-converted minivan designed to “stealth camp” and evade such restrictions.

There is plenty of blame to go around in this situation. But a determination of even 5% responsibility means a significant payout for the deep pocket party’s insurer.

And yes, this could well accelerate the demise of free overnight parking.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:54 AM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
In 2022 alone we have traveled as far south as southern Florida and as far north as northern Minnesota with routes through Alabama and the Florida panhandle as well as through TN & GA

We didn't pay even once for "in transit" overnight parking.

We stayed at WalMarts and rest areas in places which were welcoming and comfortable to stay. Most WalMarts even have security cameras which lend some small level of comfort.
We found only one Walmart which prohibited overnight parking and it was in a town in TN which has had the prohibition for years. We simply don't stop at that town, to shop, eat, or buy fuel.
Of course we choose campgrounds at all destinations and we find that reservations are much harder to get than finding a spot to overnight.
It would be impossible for us to make reservations for "in transit" overnight stays even if we wanted to, since we stop on the road when tired, hungry, or in need of fuel (all things which can not be planned 11 months ahead.

Good news is that we have had no more trouble finding a place to overnight with our Scamp in 2022 than we did in 2004 when we brought it home from Backus.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:02 PM   #28

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Most rest stops on the West Coast discourage over night camping. It's for precisely what Flydog said, there's too many nut jobs out there. A lot of them convene on rest stops as the bathrooms are readily available. In WA, at least, a lot of bums, panhandlers, homeless, whatever you may wish to call them, are right there by the bathrooms, begging. But there are vandals and thieves, too, who cruise the rest stop and if it's late at night, and you're asleep in your camper, you might just come out to find your vehicle's windshields have been busted in, anything in it stolen, and worse, your catalytic converter's been cut out.
I've seen hookers washing up in rest stop restrooms, because a lot of truckers pull into the rest stops to sleep. As well, hookers seem to frequent overnight truck stops like Flying J and Pilot. A friend of mine who used to drive long haul had the words "No prostitutes" printed on both doors to the cab.

And then you have the homeless who aren't homeless, they live in their RV's and like to park in parking lots like Walmart. For MONTHS. Worse, they sometimes abandon the RV and if you think abandoned cars are a nuisance, just imagine what a state has to do to dispose an abandoned RV. Lots of unrecyclable stuff inside, at times have been used to manufacture meth, and lets imagine what a full black water tank smells like if it's not been emptied in months.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:32 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydog View Post
Too many nut jobs out there. Our country is not what it used to be.
Turn off your television.
Old 10-31-2022, 06:22 AM   #30

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Thank you.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:40 AM   #31

Name: Russell
Trailer: 2017 Escape19
Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I wish turning off the tv would suffice, unfortunately I would need to rip my eyes out too. Even if I disregard national or worldwide news, the changes that have occured even in my own community cannot and should not be ignored.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:57 AM   #32

Iowa
We have only stayed in one “overnight only style camping spot in the last ten years. It was the Cabelas store in Billings Montana. It was our destination that day because we just wanted to see what it would be like. It was ok and our safety was not a concern to me. Otherwise with research and planning we always seem to find good places to camp where the security of the sites is not a concern. I am always happy to see the local law enforcement drive through the CG and almost always tell them I appreciates their diligence and service.
My son works for a high tech company. I would estimate that just about every employee makes in excess of $80,000 a year in his building. This morning he sent me a message that someone had stolen his energy drink out of the community refrigerator.

There is, will be and always has been slime in our society since the pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock. Establish situational awareness,
deal with whatever comes up. know your rights. Respect your abilities and act accordingly. That’s my opinion which isn’t for everyone but has worked so far for me. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 10-31-2022, 11:24 AM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBRV View Post
I wish turning off the tv would suffice, unfortunately I would need to rip my eyes out too. Even if I disregard national or worldwide news, the changes that have occured even in my own community cannot and should not be ignored.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:22 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it may seek...

The news thrives on feeding your fears, so you will watch more news.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:25 AM   #35

Iowa
Paranoia

Buffalo Springfield
(Named after a steam roller)
Iowa Dave
Old 11-01-2022, 10:57 AM   #36

Name: Russell
Trailer: 2017 Escape19
Louisiana
Great tune, and I am happy to not be on the paranoia train and trust my own eyes and personal experiences.
Old 11-01-2022, 11:31 AM   #37

Tennessee
I'm a septuagenarian. I've never personally known anyone who has been a victim of violent crime. That includes a large extended family, coworkers, fellow enthusiasts in a variety of hobbies. All research shows I am not unique. Turn off your TV is excellent advice.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:47 PM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I'm a septuagenarian. I've never personally known anyone who has been a victim of violent crime. That includes a large extended family, coworkers, fellow enthusiasts in a variety of hobbies. All research shows I am not unique. Turn off your TV is excellent advice.
We are in the same age group...
(I was wondering about that)
Old 11-01-2022, 01:47 PM   #39

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
... I've never personally known anyone who has been a victim of violent crime. ... All research shows I am not unique.
You are indeed not unique.

Same here.

Media is built to get you scared so you'll "Tune in at 11:00" to learn what else you should be scared of.

Kind of like some of the stories in this thread unfortunately.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:39 PM   #40

Name: Cotton
Trailer: Casita ID
KY
Yep.
Closed Thread

Tags
vin