Photography - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #81
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
[/QUOTE] A brave Bandon pebble was standing up to the blast of wind and sand.

Brian [QUOTE]

Hi Brian! I too was intrigued by the small rocks on the beach at Bandon, so I shot this:
Attached Thumbnails
grey_rocks1web.jpg  
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #82

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Wildflowers at Paradise, Mt. Rainier

The wildflowers at Mt. Rainier are in full bloom and breathtakingly gorgeous. We took my 89 yr. old Mom last Sunday, it was worth the crowds of people (I avoid places like that in peak season, but now is when the flowers show) to see the beauty!
Attached Images

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #83

Registry
OK......I over did it. It took a long time to learn the new way to post pics and I got carried away, but the photo opportunity at Paradise is so spectacular, wanted to be sure any photography buffs near by would get excited and go take advantage of the clear skies and wildflower color! I have more flower pictures here: Mom & Rainier

Penney

Old 08-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #84

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Penney:

Your pictures are really beautiful! Thanks for sharing them with us. You make Mt Rainier look like a park. Wonderful! A great test for your new camera!

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penney H. & Mike E. View Post
OK......I over did it. It took a long time to learn the new way to post pics and I got carried away, but the photo opportunity at Paradise is so spectacular, wanted to be sure any photography buffs near by would get excited and go take advantage of the clear skies and wildflower color! I have more flower pictures here: Mom & Rainier

Penney
Old 08-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #85

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Snell View Post
Penney:
You make Mt Rainier look like a park.

Brian
Thanks Brian.

Mt. Rainier is a park! A National Park - really a national treasure! It is so spectacular right now at Paradise ~ even the most landscaped garden/park could not compare ~ partially because the flowers go on forever.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #86
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
The photos look beautiful Penney! Thanks for sharing them.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #87

Name: Robert
Trailer: Airstream 23D International Serenity
Texas
Here are a couple from Glacier/Waterton...

Taken last month when on our 50th anniversary 'road trip!'...

Rb
Attached Thumbnails
Akamina Lake, Waterton Lakes National Park, Alberta, Canada.1.jpg   Goose Island, Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park.1.jpg  

Rob and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #88

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob and Linda View Post

Rb
*Nice Photos!* Are you using a some HD tricks in processing or was that as shot?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #89

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
*Nice Photos!* Are you using a some HD tricks in processing or was that as shot?
Thanks, Carol, for the kind compliments!

Yes, they have been pretty heavily juiced through both an HDR processor and GIMP... with no more talent than I have, I need all the "cheap tricks" I can muster!!

The rowboat shot was taken in your fair country... Waterton Lakes National Park... stunningly gorgeous place!

Thanks again...

Rob
Old 09-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #90

Texas
Speaking of HDR...

Here's a shot of one of the wheels of my car reflected in the wheel of a friend's car... this shot actually had very little HDR processing... sometimes, I just get lucky!

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Larry's Wheel - 1600.jpg  
Old 09-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #91

Registry
Rob the photos are good regardless of tricks used to achive the extra punch! The only reason I asked is I have been wanting to try a little HDR myself. :-) Can I ask which HDR processor you are using?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #92

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Rob the photos are good regardless of tricks used to achive the extra punch! The only reason I asked is I have been wanting to try a little HDR myself. :-) Can I ask which HDR processor you are using?
Good morning, Carol...

Although I joked around about using "cheap tricks," I am actually very impressed at the creative stuff that HDR processors provide... so much more than we could ever do in the darkroom!

I was a late "convert" to digital photography, having spent some fifty years as a serious hobbiest using Leica and Rolleiflex gear. My first digital camera was a little "point & shoot," pocket-size Casio which turned out to be pretty capable. Then a friend of mine introduced me to HDR and things haven't been the same with me since! I took a deep breath and bought a decent digital SLR and some good glass and started fiddling around with HDR right away... it's great fun and - as with most things - the more I fiddle with it, the more I learn and the better the results.

I am using the DPHDR processor... you can download a trial version here: http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/index.html . You will find that the trial version will do most of the stuff that the full version will, but it puts a "DPHDR" banner across the bottom of your photo (you can allow for that when you make your exposures). Photo Matix is also a very good processor (here: http://www.hdrsoft.com/ ) but many prefer the DPHDR if for no other reason than its excellent alignment capabilities.

Also, if you don't have Photoshop (and, like me, are unwillilng to pony up the big bucks for it!), GIMP is open source and provides probably 90% of what Photoshop does... lots of tutorials for GIMP on YouTube, too.

Go ahead, download the trial version and give it a try... nothing to loose!

All the best,

Rob

By the way... want to be inspired, look here: http://www.stuckincustoms.com/ This site also has a pretty good HDR tutorial.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #93

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob and Linda View Post

Rb

Wow! Beautiful! Makes me want to go there..........

Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #94

Texas
Even for "Snapshots"

Carol... Me again!

Here are a couple of shots to compare... one is just "as taken" and the other was processed by DPHDR... I didn't do a thing to it, I just opened it in the program, resized it and here 'tis.

So, here's my point: This is really just a "snapshot," nothing more, but even letting DPHDR have its way with just the one, single exposure makes (at least to me!) the photo much better... there is "shadow detail" that was not visible in the "original." Is it "better" or not? Well, every person can judge for themselves... certainly everything shouldn't be all jazzed up with HDR, but it's an excellent "darkroom" on my desk.

Best...

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_2961.1.jpg   Wyoming Morning Campsite.2.jpg  

Old 09-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #95

Registry
Rob thanks for the info. I took some photos this summer that I have a hunch might pop in HD and had taken a look at the site you recommended in the past. Will have to give it a go one of these days.

I do have the current Photoshop suite but to be honest I also have Lightroom 3 which I use for the vast majority of my photo's - only go over to Photoshop when I want to do some really serious playing around - with lots of cutting and text etc which is not to often. If you have not tried Lightroom you might find its a pretty good program for most of your day to day adjustments although you can get a wide range of plug ins free for it that give you some pretty cool results. Lightroom is way cheaper than Photoshop and it has a real good Library flagging and tagging system making it easy to pull up photos and it lets me keep everything in the original raw format. When you make adjustments to a photo it leaves the orignal file as shot and just adds an additional development file to it. There is a free trail version you can give it a try on.

Carol
Old 09-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #96

Texas
Every Once in a While...

It's simply spectacular! This from Santa Rosa State Park in New Mexico.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Rosa State Park - Sunset - 1600.jpg  
Old 10-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #97

Registry
Has anyone been taking pictures of the fall colours and other evidence of the change of seasons?

Here is my offering:
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0255 sm.jpg   IMGP0298 sm.jpg  

Old 10-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #98

Registry
Lovely Brian.....I'm impressed you found such a red leaf since your clime is same as ours. There seems to be a dearth of color this year due to the rainy September, leaving the Big Leaf Maples spotty brown instead of golden, the vine maples sort of shriveling up without turning red, and most natives just sort of dying off. I have photos from colorful past years on my photo site: Colors of Fall

My offering from this year is blueberry and loganberry leaves.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3237.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	31704

Name:	IMG_3232.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	31703

Penney

Old 10-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #99

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penney H. & Mike E. View Post
Lovely Brian.....I'm impressed you found such a red leaf since your clime is same as ours.

Penney
Penney:

I should have said that the two pictures were taken at Oregon. The leaf was at the Waterloo County Park where the NOG was held this past weekend, and the geese were near Monteith Riverpark in Albany OR. The complete set is here:

Around Waterloo OR - a set on Flickr

We also visited Stub Stewart State Park, Nehalem Bay State Park and Champoeg State Park in Oregon, and they too have fall colours:

Around Stub Stewart State Park, OR - a set on Flickr
Around Nehalem Bay State Park, OR - a set on Flickr
Around Champoeg State Park - a set on Flickr

I'm sorry that you and Mike were not able to come to the NOG in Waterloo. Despite the rain there was still a lot to see and do.

Brian
Old 10-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #100

Registry
Enjoyed all your beautiful pictures Brian.......took a peek at other sets. I had to chuckle, you & I photograph a lot of the same 'stuff' - Oregon coast, Lavender Festival, rose hips & teasels in the fall, tulips in the spring (I have pictures of the same red & yellow tulip variety), etc. etc. Guess its a regional thing!

We would have loved to been at the NOG, we camped in the newer county campground up the road in May. Unfortunately, my elderly (89) mom was criminally exploited by a plumbing co. for a HUGE amount of $ and it consumed us for weeks to get it back, which we did (I can be VERY assertive, but it is exhausting).

We still hope to head south (CA) early Nov. with the Escape for a birthday trip to warm weather. Will be able to photograph some very different flora and fauna, and warmer beaches!

One more fall pic, looks like summer but these Red Admiral butterflies show up mid-September to feed on asters.

Name:	IMG_2978.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	31715

Penney