Please wear a helmet when biking - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #21
MC1
Senior Member
 
MC1's Avatar
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Posts: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
All the arguments are not going to change anyone's opinion or riding habits, so this is really a moot discussion.
I disagree. For years many of us non smokers have been working on telling smokers to stop, it is not good for your health. Most have listened to reason and stopped the habit but there are still some who still don't get it.
MC1 is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 07:41 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
It would seem to me that all the advocates of helmet wear are not going to convince non-wearers, and the non-wearers are not going to sway those who wish to wear with statistics that drivers get closer to bicyclists wearing helmets or that knowing one has a helmet on might lead to overconfidence. All the arguments are not going to change anyone's opinion or riding habits, so this is really a moot discussion.


Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
What's wrong with a good discussion.

We all know that some things which appear obvious, are not. Wearing a helmet sounds like the right thing to do, but thinking it is the right thing and being the right thing are not necessarily the same thing.

Nothing wrong with looking for facts to back up the obvious.
Huck is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 25,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I disagree. For years many of us non smokers have been working on telling smokers to stop, it is not good for your health. Most have listened to reason and stopped the habit but there are still some who still don't get it.
Smokers have chosen to stop not based on someone's opinion or telling them it's a bad/nasty habit. Smokers are choosing to stop based on scientific medical facts. If smoking wasn't a health hazard, it's doubtful anyone would quit no matter the smell or costs.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now  
Old 09-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #24
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Posts: 1,526
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I disagree. For years many of us non smokers have been working on telling smokers to stop, it is not good for your health. Most have listened to reason and stopped the habit but there are still some who still don't get it.

And what makes you think it is your personal anti-smoking crusade that has resulted in reduction in smoking. Perhaps it was rising tobacco taxes or laws restricting tobacco use in public places that have discouraged use. If what you say is correct there would be relatively few new smokers (the teen crowd) but that is simply not true. And from what I see, many but not most have stopped. Lots ignore the health consequences. It is an addiction, and a problem as in increasing obesity. I don't believe it has anything at all to do with "not getting it." But you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
How about it. Off topic, but any reformed smokers out there? Why did you quit?


Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
CPW is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #25
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Posts: 1,526
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
What's wrong with a good discussion.

We all know that some things which appear obvious, are not. Wearing a helmet sounds like the right thing to do, but thinking it is the right thing and being the right thing are not necessarily the same thing.

Nothing wrong with looking for facts to back up the obvious.

I have absolutely no problem with a good discussion. All I'm saying is that all the discussion in the world on this topic is unlikely to change anyone's riding habits or opinions. Hey, go to campgrounds where there is a rule that all children under 16 must wear a helmet if riding a bicycle. Ever see that rule being broken?


Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
CPW is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,892
The state we live in does not require motorcycle riders to wear helmets. I'm fine with that, because people should have a choice. But the ones I see buzzing along at 65 mph with no helmet... well, I figure they're trying to raise the average IQ in the gene pool! If there's a substantial risk at 15 or 20 mph, who do these guys going 65 think they are, Superman?
Mike Magee is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #27
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Posts: 1,526
Registry
Mike,
I would think that they are employees of Mother Nature, hired to be examples of natural selection at work!


Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
CPW is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,794
Registry
Obey these standards or you must be stupid, stupid, stupid....
Attached Thumbnails
image001.jpg  
floyd is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,494
Iq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The state we live in does not require motorcycle riders to wear helmets. I'm fine with that, because people should have a choice. But the ones I see buzzing along at 65 mph with no helmet... well, I figure they're trying to raise the average IQ in the gene pool! If there's a substantial risk at 15 or 20 mph, who do these guys going 65 think they are, Superman?
Mike,

Just a thought, I've read that the average IQ has been dropping for about 100 years.

I also live in a non-helmet state however if I road a motorcycle I would wear a helmet.

As to this topic, it's a good one because every one I know who rides a two wheeled vehicle eventual falls, bike or motorcycle.

When I read the stories on this site and talk to my 'rider' friends I think of my dad. He would say "Life is a series of choices, make good ones".

It's apparent to me that choosing a helmet is wise, but I would never suggest mandating it for someone else.
__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #30
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,181
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation This started out as a simple request...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Please wear a helmet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
What's wrong with a good discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Obey these standards or you must be stupid, stupid, stupid....
...but this "progression" has become a problem.
The detour into the smoking issue didn't help. The choice of emoticons didn't help either.
A line may not have been crossed yet, but the envelope has been pushed.

I am reporting this for moderator review.
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #31
Moderator
 
Pam Garlow's Avatar
 
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Posts: 3,380
Registry
We all have our views as to the safest way to live, and pursue our hobbies. And many have scientific studies and data to back up their views. But in the end, everyone is free to make their own choices.

I'm not sure that this thread is going anywhere productive at this point.
Time to cease fire and call a truce.
Pam Garlow is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #32
MC1
Senior Member
 
MC1's Avatar
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Posts: 2,000
It is a surprise to see the negative comments about wearing a helmet when cycling. I just assumed it was the thing to do.

I started the thread as a reminder to folks that safety is the benefit and it is highly recommended.

It appears there are folks out there that feel for a variety of reasons that it is not something they want to do. .....Good luck and safe pedaling to all.
MC1 is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,494
Reasonable

Personally I thought it was a reasonable discussion and with good intentions.

One of our members had a bad incident on a bike and recognized that a helmet was a good consideration when riding, sharing with us his life experience. He should be thanked for sharing what I'm sure was a trauma.

Obviously some did not agree. That's OK.

Floyd's cartoon was humor. No one should be upset by it. It's not too far off. I drive around Florida all the time and see ponds fenced in by the state. When I was a kid fencing ponds would have been ludicrous, who would have had money for such an activity.

I see no danger in this thread. It prompted little, if not no anger. People sharing their views about for the most part a rather common RV activity.
__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,794
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
...but this "progression" has become a problem.
The detour into the smoking issue didn't help. The choice of emoticons didn't help either.
A line may not have been crossed yet, but the envelope has been pushed.

I am reporting this for moderator review.
Well bless your heart... You and I agree.
My point was to object to those who were using ad hominem to begin with.

The cartoon and the comment were designed to do just that.
Look back in the comments and read where "Dumb" and "stupid" were used in earnest.

Perhaps I should have just gone to a moderator(You?) myself, but I really thought most would get the point made with a little levity.

Still I guess a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
I have a very intelligent friend who stopped using sarcasm many years ago because he complained that most people just don't get it, and besides, they think you're sarcastic if you just tell the plain truth anyway!

Please notice I have not taken a position on this thread on the subject of bicycle helmets.

BTW; You are a moderator, aren't you?
If so, your efforts are certainly appreciated.
floyd is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
sokhapkin's Avatar
 
Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
In looking at the stats, if you don't want to die in a bicycle accident:
  • Don't be male
  • Don't ride in an urban area
  • Don't ride after 4 pm
  • Don't drink and ride
Actually #4 should be #1.
__________________
Sergey
www.callwithus.com
sokhapkin is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #36
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Posts: 1,526
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Perhaps I should have just gone to a moderator(You?) myself, but I really thought most would get the point made with a little levity.

Floyd....I would vote for you to be the next moderator.


Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
CPW is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Gilda's Avatar
 
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Posts: 1,365
Registry
One more reminder. Not only wear a helmet but BUCKLE THE CHIN STRAP! A helmet does no good if it flies off your head.
__________________
The Gleeful Glamper
Gilda (Jill-da)
"Here we go again on another amazing adventure"
Gilda is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #38
MC1
Senior Member
 
MC1's Avatar
 
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Posts: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
One more reminder. Not only wear a helmet but BUCKLE THE CHIN STRAP! A helmet does no good if it flies off your head.
Gilda, as well...... bike helmets have a front and back. Too often we see them worn backwards
MC1 is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
dylanear's Avatar
 
Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Not a fair comparison, Floyd. In Einstein's time there was no such thing as a bicycle helmet. As a kid growing up in the. 50s, I never even saw a bicycle helmet. Who's to say what AE would have done if he were alive and riding a bicycle today?
Agreed, if Obama had gone out on a bike without a helmet?! Oh the uproar about him not setting a good example for kids. And would we want Biden as President because of a bad, unhelmeted bike accident on Obamas part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
That being said, I am 100% for freedom of choice, whether you are riding a bicycle, a motorcycle, rock climbing, or even walking down the road. Summing up, if it makes you happy and gives you a sense of security to wear a helmet, then do so, but stop preaching to those who choose not to. Let's allow individuals to be responsible if there are consequences for their choices, e.g., I will NEVER concede that McDonalds is responsible for someone getting burned by hot coffee because they were stupid (yes, stupid) enough to put the cup between their legs in a moving car. I do wear a bicycle helmet but that is because I choose to do so. And I will apologize in advance if my opinion offends someone, but we all have a right to choose what our opinions will be.
I agree a helmet is a very good idea, agree that it's a personal choice.

But the McDonalds coffee thing? It wasn't a moving car, she wasn't driving, she was trying to put the sugar and creme in the cup sitting in the passenger seat in the parking lot. She did not become a millionaire from that suit. The jury found that she did have some responsibilities for her own injuries from the spill she indeed caused and adjusted the settlement accordingly. McDonalds had received hundreds of complaints of their coffee being too hot, often causing injury and did nothing about it. She only sued after they refused to come close to paying her medical bills. They could have gotten off cheap. The whole thing has been widely misrepresented by pro-unregulated business, pro-tort reform groups to keep Corporations from being responsible for their practices in many different ways. You do realize the entire reason a corporation exists is to reduce their responsibilities/liabilities when there are debts or legal obligations. Sometimes that lower risk helps new ideas become reality, generates jobs and helps the economy. But left unchecked it let's small groups of people get away scot free for things no individual would get away with. If you read the facts of the case, it's not such a frivolous a suit and the damages awarded make a lot more sense. But, CPW, you've stated you would "NEVER" accept this viewpoint, so I don't expect you too.

https://www.caoc.org/index.cfm?pg=facts

Anyway, if I'm side tracking the conversation, sorry.

Take care your noggins!
dylanear is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #40
Administrator
 
Mary F's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Posts: 10,522
Registry
Okay, the points pertaining to this subject have been made. This thread is closed.
__________________
Mary F Fiberglass Rules!
________________________________
FGRV Forum Custom Search
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camping and Biking at Lake Coeur d'Alene lynneh Camping, Campout Reports 6 10-18-2008 10:43 PM
Tire Wear Alan P. Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 5 08-23-2008 10:14 PM
What Causes Inside Tread Wear? KevinDR Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 10 05-24-2008 08:21 PM
tire wear gregshannon Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 15 08-13-2007 01:29 PM

» Trailer Showcase

Scamp

doreen b

burro

Jody
» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.