Quilts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2010, 04:12 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
My wife is a quilter, and this has drawn me into admiring this creative craft. We have attended the Sisters OR outdoor quilt show several times, and this year will bring along our fiberglass trailer. What a wonderful way to combine interests!

http://www.sistersoutdoorquiltshow.org/

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7020_sm2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	28154

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_vansnel...8336463/detail/

Brian
Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'm the lone non-quilter in our family, one sister is a sometimes quilter, and three sisters plus Mom are rabid quilters. You may run into them at Sisters! (I think only three are going this year- Mom and two sisters.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 1992 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Hello,
I have sewn apparel for years and several years ago I started quilting. I kept
dragging my feet because I knew what would happen and it did! I always have my
next dozen quilts filed in my brain.
I also have an embroidery machine, actually at the moment I have two. My DH thinks
I should take the smaller one with us and set up shop in our Casita (or maybe the picnic
table). I have embroidered our wheel cover as well as several small wall hanging in
RBANDB II. Way too much fun.
Martha
Martha Effinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Hello,
My DH thinks
I should take the smaller one with us and set up shop in our Casita (or maybe the picnic
table). I have embroidered our wheel cover as well as several small wall hanging in
RBANDB II. Way too much fun.
Martha
Martha:

My wife has a Singer Featherweight sewing machine which we have taken with us on two camping trips already this year. This allows her to work on her quilts in our little trailer at night and browse fabric stores during the day. What could be better than that!

Brian
Old 05-26-2010, 06:18 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita
I don't quilt, although I can see why people do, but the thing I love most about quilts is the "cozy, secure, happy "smells" and feel of those older quilts that Mom had and used to cover me up with. I'm sure that sounds nuts, but it's like that old blanket we had, as kids. It was just some cheap cotton thing with an American Indian type print on it and we all called it the "Indian blanket". I think I have it in an old Cedar Chest down stairs and it's so worn out and faded that most would throw it away. But, if I wanted to get all cozy and warm and fuzzy feeling, I would wrap up in it, or one of Mom's old quilts, and life was good. We kids used to fight over the "indian blanket"

Hey, maybe that would be a nice thing to do right now......God knows I could use some secure feelings.

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
My wife quilts.!!!!!!
There are quilts all over the house. She also quilts clothing, handbags, table runners and anything that'll go through her sewing machine. She has taken over the spare bedroom with sewing machine, ironing board, boxes of thread and STUFF. Her spare time is spent in the 'quilting room' while I sit, a shunned husband, and have to watch sports alone
Could be worse, Eh?, she might actually want to talk.
Tongue -in-cheek!
Actually I,m very proud of what she can accomplish with little bits of material.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #7

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Since I have way too many hobbies I also encourage my wife to quilt, which she does with gusto. Last time we went on a cross-country trailer pull I made sure she could use her portable sewing machine wherever we went, hookups or not.

Since our front table is stable, chair is comfortable, and the light is plentiful the next step was seeing how the machine would run on converter power from the batteries. It was pitiful, would not run worth squat. Went for a true sine wave inverter and the machine hums merrily along. Something to consider if you like to camp in the boonies along side the John Day river or similar places.

I went with her to the Sisters show a couple of times and my mind was properly boggled.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Sandy, in addition to knitting and machine embroidery, does quilting. Attached is a photo of a 4 foot by 10 foot quilted Church Sanctuary "Banner" which she made with the "help" of a few others who offered their help, but turned out didn't know how to quilt, nor had a sewing machine ;-(

She got plenty of "artistic" direction, but little else.

The banner is "Trees of the Bible", with Bible Book and passage for each tree type.

Enjoy,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Church_Banner_Quilt.jpg  
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
My wife has quilted for years, (her hobby now takes up three rooms in our house). Her latest masterpiece can be seen in the American Quilters Society Desk Calendar in October 4. We've been to many shows, but not the Three Sisters yet, she has talked about flying out to it next year, I guess it's a big one.

Name:	Small_File_Vga.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	29500

Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
I did my first ever quilt block this year as part of a group effort to raise funds for Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue. My block is the one at the top left of the finished quilt. The theme was Ridgebacks at the Beach.

If you want to get tickets for this one, send me a PM and I'll see that you get the info to enter the draw.

Name:	2010quilt_large.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	29504
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Neat one, Carol Ann! Your block totally captures the way dogs love to "find things" and play in the sand at the beach.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
My wife is a quilter, and this has drawn me into admiring this creative craft. We have attended the Sisters OR outdoor quilt show several times, and this year will bring along our fiberglass trailer. What a wonderful way to combine interests!

http://www.sistersoutdoorquiltshow.org/

Attachment 28154

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_vansnel...8336463/detail/

Brian
Gorgeous quilt, Brian! Thanks for sharing your wife's work with us!

Oop, and now I see the others pictured here - they're all great. I know how much work goes into them. I love it that some people are able to combine quilting with camping. (I've done a little knitting while out in the woods-but really prefer to paint... badly, I'm afraid!)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Here is an article how to put a hand crank on a featherweight

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachineshop...nk/fwcrank.html
Old 07-16-2010, 04:24 AM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Wow! These are some impressive specimens! I started quilting a few years back for a friend who was having her first baby. My sewing experience was limited to all they could teach us in 3 weeks way back in seventh grade. Nothing like jumping into it with both feet and a lead weight tied around my neck!

I'm not great, but I get my quilts finished, and I'm learning to move away from patterns and into my own designs. Super fun! But I love to see the artists at work. THEY are AMAZING!

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:22 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We just got back from the Jacksonville, Fl quilt show. Very impressive quilts, we were more impressed with the quality of the quilts there than at the big Nashville show.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
(I've done a little knitting while out in the woods-but really prefer to paint... badly, I'm afraid!)
Sandy both quilts and knits. She is a leader/teacher in our Church's knitting group. They are now busy knitting bandages 4 inches x 4 feet, made exclusively of pure cotton. They are for leprosy victims in Viet Nam.

Since they are made of pure cotton (string, essentially), they can be boiled to sterilize and re-use, and they are so stretchy and "open" they allow the air to circulate to help speed up healing.

The only drawback is how long it takes to make a single 4 foot bandage ;-(

The advantage is that after a very short time, you can almost knit them in your sleep. So, the knitters can sit around and talk about anything, while knitting.

Sandy has been bringing her bandage knitting on our Egg rallyes, and knits them around the campfires in good weather, and watching DVD's in the egg when the weather turns bad.

Mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler 1984
Here's a queen sized quilt that my wife did and a new single one just completed.
Attached Thumbnails
020 (800x534).jpg   014 (800x534).jpg  

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #18

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Just finished my 6th quilt this year. Four of them were large lap size, one was twin size and one was queen size. The last one was a Mickey Mouse quilt started on Monday afternoon before Christmas, finished Christmas Eve morning, and delivered that afternoon. That was cutting it a little close! I don't have another to start right now and I'm feeling a little ansy. Made it through today but not sure what I'll do about tomorrow!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #19

Trailer: 1983 Boler
machine quilting

Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
My wife quilts.!!!!!!
There are quilts all over the house. She also quilts clothing, handbags, table runners and anything that'll go through her sewing machine. She has taken over the spare bedroom with sewing machine, ironing board, boxes of thread and STUFF. Her spare time is spent in the 'quilting room' while I sit, a shunned husband, and have to watch sports alone

This sounds like my house! My husband is shunned too but he quite enjoys watching football or hockey or NASCAR while I quilt. I have a home business doing longarm machine quilting so my quilting really does take up a whole room. I should be working/quilting now but procrastinating on the computer.

tried to put links to photos but can't figure it out, sorry.
here's my blog address if you wanted to see photos:
http://melonpatchquilts.blogspot.com/
Kristyn M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #20

Name: Janne
Trailer: In the market
Oregon
I started quilting six years ago when I retired - always figured I wouldn't have time to do it until I wasn't working any more. I've lost count of how many I've made, along with table runners, various little bags, wall hangings, etc. I also have a room in my house that's for sewing only. Doesn't everybody??

Never thought about quilting on the road...
Janne Potter is offline   Reply With Quote