RC helicopters - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #1

Name: Norm I want to thank all the Kings horses and all the Kings men
Trailer: 73 Scamp 13'
Oregon
RC helicopters

I have only been flying them for the past year. Started out with the twin rotor (one over the top of the other, mostly for indoor flying) but have moved on to the single rotor micros. It took a little practice but both my son and I have gotten pretty good at flying outdoors. For less than $50 each they are a great way to unwind. Norm
Ngrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I got one for Christmas from my grandson. They are amazingly easy to fly inside and surprisingly tough, too.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
They sell them at Bianca's for as low as $15.
R/C Helicopters + Toys | Bianca Amor's Liquidation Supercentre
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #4

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I've just started reading about these. I'd like to build a good one for aerial video. This is something I plan to move up in priority. I have a very specific goal. I want to shoot aerial video of sailing lessons. I have a good camera for an on deck mount ill try first. I have no doubt I'll need an aerial platform to accomplish all my goals.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:52 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I have two but ended up buying the Phoenix software so that I could practice flying without augering my real ones. My big chopper is supposed to handle some minor wind but I swear that was not true in my case. I have the dual counter balancing blades but need to learn and fly true single blade with cyclic.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #6

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
rc helicopters

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
I have two but ended up buying the Phoenix software so that I could practice flying without augering my real ones. My big chopper is supposed to handle some minor wind but I swear that was not true in my case. I have the dual counter balancing blades but need to learn and fly true single blade with cyclic.
I have been flying radio control helis for 30 years as my hobby. Most of the ones mentioned here are entry level. For those wanting to do photography etc. a good website to start with and deals with all aspects of the hobby is runryder.com strictly helis and related subjets only on that site.

My eggcamper takes me all over the country to funflys and gatherings in the hobby.
Weldon
weldon freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #7

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I got two for christmas , one for my grandson and one for me. Good fun
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #8

Texas
I appreciate that info and will check it out. I have a 2meter sailplane but never got into helis as when I started they were all gas and expensive so I used to just watch them being flown. Its neat that you can travel all over to fly ins. I think the big one is in Florida but never went despite the fact of living in Orlando for 10 years.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 07-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #9

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
I got two for christmas , one for my grandson and one for me. Good fun
I couldnt agree with you more. I set some tray tables up in the living room and then do touch and goes with my Aeres MD 5000. Wish they had these when I was a kid (I'm in my second childhood now so its okay).
My first plane was back in the 50s that I built with balsa wood and a Baby Bee .049 engine. Wire line control. Went to the field and took off and one turn later I had kindling. That was the end of my flying until 50 years later
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 07-27-2013, 06:13 AM   #10

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17' Liberty Deluxe
Utah
Now here's an RC chopper!
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #11

Texas
When I hear the word Chopper I think way back.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 07-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #12

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
rc helis

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltenes View Post
Now here's an RC chopper!
Yes, the helis are a lot of fun. I am into the more serious scale versions that look like the real thing. Right now, unfortunately our hobby is taking some hits from proposed government regulations on video from the air. There are those that want to consider us flying drones and we a risk to security. The one in the photo posted is considered a multi-rotor and used a lot for video and photography.
Anyway I mix my hobby with my love of my camper. The eggcamper is my 4th. Had two Burros ( I like em), and Scamp and settled down with my eggcamper kit in 2007 due to it being similar to Burros. It is just the thing for what I do and travel in my hobby.
weldon freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #13

Oregon
I wanted something I could fly indoors in the winter months but something that would also operate in a little wind outdoors. Not wanting to spend a lot of money I got a couple of the V911 micro copters for less than $50 each. The are the the single rotor type, come with a four channel controller so they fly outdoors pretty well. As some mentioned earlier, the twin rotors don't do well outdoors. A little harder to get the hang of compared to the twin rotors but still not that bad. Every part on them is available on ebay but surprisingly after all the crashes I had at first, the spare parts that came with them were more than enough to keep them going. They are about 8 or 9 inches long and came with two smaller batteries that worked fine but I was able to buy some higher a/h batteries to extent the flying time. Been a lot of fun for very little money spent.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Indiana
I've been flying a V911 too. It is a rugged small helicopter. I fly mostly indoors and only in very calm conditions outside. I just ordered a different transmitter (Flysky 9X) so that I can program the throttle and rudder functions to make it easier to fly. Flying these little helis is addictive. I'm looking into a flight simulator and a collective pitch helicopter and maybe a quadcopter too. You can't have to many toys.
FlyboyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #15

Oregon
A better controller seems like a good idea. I assume you would no longer need to manually ad throttle when going forward. Adjusting the servo to have the maximum forward movement helps me fly in the wind a little better. anxious to see how your new controller works. Need to keep reminding myself. Focus on the Scamp, focus on the Scamp.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Indiana
Adjusting the throttle curve on the Flysky 9X will make it easier to maintain a constant altitude. The throttle control on the stock transmitter is pretty touchy and staying at the same altitude is difficult.
The tail rotor on the V911 helicopter is sensitive with the stock transmitter so I'll be able to program the 9X transmitter to decrease the tail rotor sensitivity. Most of what I have learned is found on the RCGROUPS site in the micro heli forum.
FlyboyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #17

Oregon
Lately I noticed on of my copters is getting hard to control the tail rotor. Not sure if it is the controller, the motor or the gyro. I suppose I should sync it up with the other controller (don't remember the term for that)
Old 07-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #18

Texas
I have the Spectrum DX5 controller and then after I started into Helis the guy told me I would need to get a 6 Channel for true cyclic control. Bummer as they arent cheap. For the flight sim software I got the Phoenix version and it has about 100 or so models to choose from. (dont remember the exact number of models). It plugs into your real controller. I like it because on the "real" models that are for sale it simulates the control surfaces and mimics a real flight and can be varied. Also you can fly online with or against others and there is a touch and go or as I call it touch and crash. Where you land and take off land and take off. I cant even count the number of Heli crashes I have had to date. Would be nice if my grandson were old enough for me to fly with.
If you Rest, You Rust