Rock music history in Iowa - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2023, 11:50 AM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Rock music history in Iowa

If you like to stop at unusual historic sites, the “The Day The Music Died” (3 FEB 1959) crash site is just off I-35 in northern Iowa. This marker is out at the road side and the crash site is a short walk away.

https://clearlakeiowa.com/the-day-the-music-died-tour/
Attached Thumbnails
MUSIC DIED.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:50 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Again? How many visits is this for you now? Inspiring me to attempt one more pilgrimage to "World's Largest Ball of Twine."
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:09 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Twice now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Again? How many visits is this for you now? Inspiring me to attempt one more pilgrimage to "World's Largest Ball of Twine."
I posted this because it is the anniversary, and easy side trip and we have new members all the time. The glasses were not there the first time that I was there. I try to get back to Iowa and South Dakota every year. It's fun to look back at the old pictures and see the changes, especially the 40 year old pictures of the Louis and Clark rest area overlooking the Missouri at Chamberlain, SD.

There are four largest balls of twine listed on the internet,( largest sisal by an individual, largest sisal by a community, largest by weight and largest nylon) I've been to none and two are in my home state.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:38 PM   #4

Tennessee
Yep. This one is Cawker City KS. I posted a pic in your most recent previous thread.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:52 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I remember the headline. I’ve been there and to the surf ballroom. Some good state park and county park camping in NW Iowa.
Full orchestration , nice saxophone work. Inch and a quarter maple floor, leather soled shoes. What else could a couple high school kids want?
Iowa Dave
https://www.google.com/search?q=budd...id:QjFRHIhSvwc
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:28 AM   #6

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Richie and the Big Bopper were not even supposed to be on that plane.....Tommy Allsup and Waylon Jennings gave up their seats on that plane and took a bus. WOW!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:17 PM   #7

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
Richie and the Big Bopper were not even supposed to be on that plane.....Tommy Allsup and Waylon Jennings gave up their seats on that plane and took a bus. WOW!
Imagine the 'Outlaw' movement without Waylon.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:18 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
If you go to Clear Lake there is a very nice State Park with good camping near the Lake. It is called McIntosh Woods. You can visit the Surf ballroom and museum. They have a website There’s a lovely excursion boat (Lady of the Lake) that will take you on a nice evening cruise around the lake for $16. The trip out into the country to the crash site is not very far. Sobering.

If you’re into architecture, it’s not too far to Mason City where there are 6 buildings including a hotel. designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (prairie style architecture). Also in Iowa Cedar Rock State Park near Quasqueton Iowa. Wright designs though out the house all the way down to the silverware and China.

Mason city is also the home of the Music Man , 76 trombones and all that noise.

Take the road less traveled to Iowa. Huge sweet rolls for breakfast, big pork tenderloins. fine breweries, and great ice cream shops. (Also many small town pharmacies for calming your stomach down after a day of cuisine that borders on gluttony.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:49 AM   #9

Tennessee
That's interesting, thanks! https://visitmasoncityiowa.com/place...tectural-tour/
Old 03-13-2023, 03:38 PM   #10

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler American
Iowa
My wife and I just bought a ‘72 Boler American just a few minutes from Mason City. Eastern Iowa also has the waterfall trail to check out, also Iowa has the Freedom Rock tour. Not sure of the count, but there are only a small handful of counties in Iowa that don’t have a Freedom Rock. I’ll see if I can find the link to both
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 08:19 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
I played 76 trombones on the stage of Packard Music Hall in Warren Ohio in 1968 or 9. There were 76 of us. Cool stuff. I used to be a recording contractor for the Rock Hall in Cleveland, they have a portion of the plane’s hull that crashed on display (or did 20 years ago). Iowa has an excellent blues duo: Joe and Vicky price, they are friends with my film parter in Solon Iowa. Worth hearing.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote