Star Gazers? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
I'm not even an amatuer star gazer, however, I do like to get out in the Ouchita National Forest in Arkansas. I have some night vision binoculars that let me see WAYYY more than I can naturally see.
It cool!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #22

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
In 1994, nine of us made a trip into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. One night we laid on the beach of our campsite on Seagull Lake, looked up at the stars...no binoculars...and saw satellites moving across the sky. I was amazed that I could see them.
Then I went back to my small-town home, laid on the dark side of the house with my then 8-year-old son, and showed him the satellites moving across the sky. I think he was pretty impressed.
We've also dragged out air mattresses and sleeping bags to try and watch meteor showers. Ended up falling asleep and waking up cold. But it's fun. Good memories.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #23

Name: Darron
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Glad to see some other stargazers here. I'm active in the Austin Astronomical Society and have helped with the public viewing nights at the McDonald Observatory visitor center. One reason I want a trailer is to have a place to sleep after I am finished observing. Here's a photo of my telescope. Mine is the small one on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
STS_1_small.jpg  
Doc Sarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 5th Wheel
Oklahoma
Nice.

Hope you find a FG trailer that will fit your astronomy needs.

After I purchased my Scamp, I decided that I would down size all my equipment

and I'm in the process of doing that now.

My Dad goes with me to all the star parties and this year he wants to add the Texas

Star Party. If you find my Scamp stop by and visit, you are welcome to tour my

"bus".
John Cotrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #25

Texas
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to TSP this year. I'd love to, but I have classes and all the other headaches that come with being a college student. As for fitting my astronomy gear, I have a Ford F150 Supercrew. I can carry everything I need in the truck and use the camper for sleeping and cooking.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 5th Wheel
Oklahoma
I will try and post pictures of the Texas Star Party as soon as I get back home!

Hopefully I will get to tour several FG trailers while I'm there.
John Cotrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis View Post
Mine is the small one on the right.
Small.... ya right. I thought that my binoculars were big.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #28

Texas
David, my telescope is an 8-inch Dobsonian. The dome on the left in the photo houses a 16-inch telescope. The domes on the mountain in the background house 72-inch and 107-inch telescopes. I have used the 16-inch telescope, and in my younger days had the opportunity to observe through the 72-inch telescope. The 72-inch telescope gave me a bad case of aperture fever, but I got better.

John, Did you meet any of the people from the Austin Astronomical Society at Okie-Tex? Several of our club members trek up there every year. I'd love to make it, but will have to wait until I finish my degree as Okie-Tex happens in the middle of the semester.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
If you're going to Ft Davis you might as well drop down south to Marfa, Tx and see the Marfa lights, Aliens and UFO lights, so they say.
OHHH!! Yes yes yes! UFOS! There will be Aliens coming for you!! Hint hint! Hahhaa.
Mark and Tara is offline   Reply With Quote