The Long, Long Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2019, 10:53 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
The Long, Long Trailer

For all that have not watched the movie of the same name, it’s that time of the year when it gets run over and over on satellite and cable. I no longer pay for either, so I am reading the book. Written 1951, it is still a great introduction to the joys and tribulations of the RV life and is even better than the movie. (and the book is free on line)
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #2

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
Thanks Kenneth - I just rented the movie on Amazon Prime for $3.00 and really enjoyed it. It was suggested as a must-do activity
Maybe I'll do the book next. I loved her rock collection - that would be me!
Old 02-06-2020, 06:09 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have two copies of the movie, and I have watched it several times over a few decades now. If you "love Lucy", it a must to see although I wouldn't advise watching it the night before you climb the mountains with your trailer!

Here's a trivia game related to the movie: https://www.funtrivia.com/en/Movies/...-The-9417.html

And some more info: Facts about "The Long, Long Trailer" : Classic Movie Hub (CMH)

I haven't read the book, so maybe I better put that on my bucket list!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Watch for the tow vehicle switch. Someone way smarter than I am pointed it out to me. And catch that helper wheel on the tow bar rig.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:41 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yes there is a wheeled dolly between the tow vehicle and the trailer. Interesting solution to tongue weight limitations.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:25 PM   #6

Iowa
Bill
The movie starts out with a Mercury towing the trailer. This was actual filming back in the day.
When they get in the mountains (Sierra Madres) and there’s a wider view of the Tow vehicle you’ll see they switched over to a nearly identical Lincoln which was available with a larger engine. They needed the horsepower to pull the hill. You can read up on it,
And while you’re at it read up on the Desert races where they ran those big Lincolns and won!
Iowa Dave
Old 02-06-2020, 07:30 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
And while you’re at it read up on the Desert races where they ran those big Lincolns and won!
Iowa Dave

And listen to this while you read up.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:34 AM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And listen to this while you read up.
Hey thanks for that. I never knew what the guys in that group looked like.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:47 AM   #9

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Deja Vu! Their version of Hot Rod Lincoln is one of my all-time favorite songs! Back when it came out, I especially enjoyed being in the place the album's title suggested. My son now has the original vinyl.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #10

Iowa
An elderly lady who had lived in the little unincorporated town of Irving, Iowa passed away last week. She and her husband had a welding. equipment repair and junk yard in Irving. From the farm ground we own, the road to State Highway 21 ran past their place. We drove it often. For many years we coveted a V-12 Lincoln engine that sat exposed out in front of their shop. Don’t know what ever happened to it but I always think about it when I hear the Hot Rod Lincoln recording. “And that Model A body makes it look like a pup”.
Have a great day
Iowa Dave
Old 01-11-2021, 04:26 PM   #11

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
How about the song that originally started the Hot Rod song craze and to which Hot Rod Lincoln was written as a response.

Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:12 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
How about the song that originally started the Hot Rod song craze and to which Hot Rod Lincoln was written as a response.

I had an album of hot rod songs and those two were on it. I thought of this song the other day after hearing "Hotrod Lincoln" but didn't know how to search it. Thanks!
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:19 AM   #13

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Terry and I watched the Long Long Trailer last night. We've had many of the same arguments All the way through the movie we kept saying, "Yup!" "Yup!" "Yup!" "Yup!" "Yup!" "Yup!".

In 45 minutes we leave for our winter camping in Texas/Arizona. I wonder how far we get before our first, needless disagreement?

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:29 AM   #14

Iowa
Lots of songs about trains, pickup trucks, semi-trailer-tractor combos-cars- a few about airplanes and harkening back to the days of bicycles and horses, transportation is woven into our song cultures. But for my money, there isn’t much good music being written today. Rita always comments about a song being performed by today’s entertainers “could you whistle that song?” In most cases the answer is no. It’s a pretty good litmus test. I’m glad my folks taught me to appreciate good music, and my collection is in pretty nice shape.(Vinyl). Sun is up, looks like a good start to the day. Have fun today and if you drink later on in the day savor your time without regrets. https://www.google.com/search?source...ile-gws-wiz-hp
Iowa Dave
Old 01-12-2021, 08:31 PM   #15

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Commander Cody's Down to Seeds and Stems Again is a great tune as is Mama Hated Diesels.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:44 PM   #16

Iowa
I just love some of the truck driving titles. Especially the more obscure.
Diesel smoke and dangerous curves, jack knife, tombstone every mile. Little pink Mack. Give me forty acres, ( which I sing when a rookie is trying to back his trailer in) etc. and for trains Lonnie Donegan and Rock Island Line.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-12-2021, 11:23 PM   #17

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
This is one of my favorite trucking songs. Used to be played on Dr Demento when I listened to a transistor radio:

Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:10 PM   #18

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Here is some more trailer themed music: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post475831

Enjoy!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:11 PM   #19

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Bill Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
This is one of my favorite trucking songs. Used to be played on Dr Demento when I listened to a transistor radio:
William Fries (C.W.McCall) is from the same town as Albert the bull; Audubon, Iowa.

It’s them chromium-plated fully illuminated genuine accessory shift knobs that will get you!!

Attached Thumbnails
12albert.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:52 PM   #20

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
William Fries (C.W.McCall) is from the same town as Albert the bull; Audubon, Iowa.

It’s them chromium-plated fully illuminated genuine accessory shift knobs that will get you!!

It’s been years since I was in Audubon and saw Big Albert. We lived in Council Bluffs for several years after I got out of school (70 through 78) and remember well the Old Home Bread commercials featuring McCall and the “Fill her up and keep on trucking cafe.” Then about 40+ Years later we pulled the 19 Escape over Wolf Creek Pass and down through the town of Pagosa Springs. Using the shiftable transmission, liberal trailer braking and judicious Highlander braking there was no chicken tragedy like C.W. experienced. He was quite a sensation back then rivaling Iowa’s Donna Reed, Andy Williams and Art Farmer but somewhat below Iowa’s favorite son from Winterset Iowa, Marion Morrison. John Wayne.
Incidentally, if you want to visit the John Wayne Birthplace Museum you can stay right in town at City campground which is very nice. Winterset Iowa is the county seat of an Iowa county that had a small part in a somewhat successful motion picture. The Bridges of Madison County.
Iowa Dave

Tags
scamp