Travelling with pets - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Our dog goes with because there would be no one at home to take care of her and she is my responsibility anyway. But, I do not plan on a replacement should anything happen to her. Our longest trips are 7-10 days so it is not terrible on any of us but she sure is happy to be off the leash and able to "run wild" when we get home. Her camping dilemma is: I get to be with my people 24/7, but I have to wear this damn leash pretty constantly. Hummm, people, leash, people, leash.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The one rule that most people ignore is the 6' or 8' leash rule. Most seem to use the retractable leash that extends to close to 30' in direct violation to the posted rules.
Yup - even I as a dog lover I wish they would outlaw the retractable leashes - drives me nuts trying to pass someone with a dog on one and the dog is pulling the person around with it and ends up wrapped around my ankles. That and little dogs that nip & bark at the end of one as you pass.

I honestly don't get what the owners are thinking or even how they are able to put up with it!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You might relate the stories that I heard about little dogs on those long leashes. In AZ, specifically, I heard that sometimes the coyote ate the dog. I am serious. The people were angry with park rangers and were trying to demand that they do something with the coyotes. There are coyotes everywhere that we have been.

The other issue is trying to protect your dog if a dog that is loose coming running your way. And, there are other varmints that could bite or attack your dog.

Of course, you can pretend that you didn't see the pile that little Pooey just made since he/she is so far away. Never fear though because if I spot it for you, I always carry extra poop bags and am generous in their distribution should the need arise.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
You might relate the stories that I heard about little dogs on those long leashes. In AZ, specifically, I heard that sometimes the coyote ate the dog. I am serious.
Heck that has happen right in the middle of Vancouver City proper - more than once! Coyote's in the city are not scared of people.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #25

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
I'm with Ziggy. My husband and I have no children but we have little dogs so we bought our camper so we could take them everywhere with us. Even pet friendly hotels frown on three dogs. Kids are just as capable of running loose, screaming through campgrounds at all hours, littering and wreaking havoc by bouncing Frisbees and balls off the neighbours' RV. If we had kids we would have to accommodate their needs and be mindful that they didn't disturb others, or leave a mess in their wake so we don't regard our dogs as any burden. There are plenty of places we can't take kids or dogs but then we would enjoy those places less without them so it is no great loss. Our dogs are rescues who spent years in cages for breeding so being able to let them bask in the great outdoors even on the end of a leash brings us a great deal of fulfillment. Dogs are not our whole life but they make our life whole.
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler 1984
Holly is a twelve year old JR that lives with us. Travels with us and camps with us. We use an expandable leash that gives her 10 feet of freedom unless there are other people or pets about. Then she is locked in on a two foot leash at full heel. On the camp site she has a tether that reaches about two feet outside the front canopy. In my pocket, most of the time, are from three to six doggy bags and you are free to have one if you forgot yours. Besides they are great for small items at the store or when collecting the mail. A screen door allows her to see out when in the trailer and provides great ventilation. At night she sleeps in a kennel inside the trailer and not on the bed.
How can you not want a pet that gives unconditional love and only expect to be fed and her evening doggy treats. Proper training as a puppy and constant refreshing through her lifetime can give both great fulfillment. Accepting a pet into your life is accepting a great responsibility but the returns come back a hundredfold.
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
California
I might add that our dog is usually a big hit with everyone (especially kids) in the campground. There aren't any bad dogs..... only bad dog owners. Responsible pet owners always insure their dogs are not being a nuisance to anyone, are well socialized with other dogs and always clean up after them. I have to agree that there is nothing more annoying than a constantly barking dog, except the seemingly endless drone of a generator : )
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #28

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
We are in the middle of a 12 day trip to Glacier National Park with our German Shepard, Gunner. We put the back 2 rows of seats down and a piece of fiber board covered with carpet for him to travel on. He loves to ride back there, and whenever we take a rest stop he is almost frantic to get back in the SUV. At the camp site, once he gets settled in, he is good as gold.
Yes, I love Gunner to death, but they do restrict you on activities you might want to do.
This is our 4th Shepard, but I think he will be the last dog we have. Now we need to get rid of, or let pass on, the old horse, the old cow, and the old cat. Shucks, that leaves us with still one young cat. Guess we better start leash training her.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:15 PM   #29

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
I've had far more problems with unruly children when camping rather than unruly dogs. Our little Yorkie Coco goes with us every time, and she adds alot of fun to the trip. She's not a barker though, and we do pick up after her.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Just to rile everybody up, I can't wait until Charly crosses the rainbow bridge. I'd like to visit the farm museum instead of sitting in the car with the dog. I'd like to enjoy a beer and a burger at a funky patio bar instead of taking the drive-thru lane at a fast food restaurant.
She may make the trip soon, being an 11-year-old beagle with arthritis and likely bladder cancer.
Sorry, gotta go. She's barking at the neighbour for some reason.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Just to rile everybody up, I can't wait until Charly crosses the rainbow bridge. I'd like to visit the farm museum instead of sitting in the car with the dog. I'd like to enjoy a beer and a burger at a funky patio bar instead of taking the drive-thru lane at a fast food restaurant.
She may make the trip soon, being an 11-year-old beagle with arthritis and likely bladder cancer.
That's just wrong Glenn.....lol
Old 06-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #32

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Way back in 2000 when I ordered my 13 Scamp the A/C was pretty much for Mitzi who was 14 at the time and then lived to be 18 1/2.

The A/C gets used infrequently now as Lily loves it outside under the awning inside her yard. I do kick the A/C on for her if it's a hot day and I'm leaving her in the trailer and then once and awhile if there are mosquitoes that drive both of us inside.

I've come to hate those retracable leashes as well. I know these peope who have no consideration for others with their dog aways out at the maximum length and annoying everyone. They think nothing of it and actually get huffy if you anything to them. Just rude.

We are on the last one now and I won't be getting another. I do carry regular leashes that I use as well. And yes, dogs learn and behave better if you use a short regular leash.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:09 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I didn't realize one needed an engineering degree to operate a retractable leash with one moving button........we love ours and we walk 3 small dogs at the same time without getting wound up! No rocket science involved.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:00 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Hey Charlie. Maybe you could explain for me, the purpose of a retractable leash. I don't get it. To me having a dog on a leash means having control of the dog, and the shorter the leash, the more control.
We have friends who use a retractable leash, and even though their dog is very well trained, when they let it run to the end of that leash, they are no longer in charge.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:07 AM   #35

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Well I can tell you that Bailey my 10 yr old miniature Dacshund and I are already planning our camping adventures - before we even have a camper. He is a veteran traveler with 13 plane flights (in the cabin), a cross country trek, and numerous regional jaunts. He is a good dog and fellow passengers are always amazed that he was on the flight unlike the crying baby in the rear of the plane. Frankly he is more important than many family members. He is loving and loves meeting new people. One of the characteristics that I love about him is that even though he is very loving and loyal to me he likes making new friends and senses when the individual may need a little more affection or attention. This past Christmas we visited friends that have recently adopted three siblings - it was our first time meeting the children. The middle child had been badly abused in a foster home and is more withdrawn. Bailey immediately sensed this and he and the child became inseparable with Bailey even sleeping with the child. He spent time with the other children and had fun but was more focused on his new buddy. The bottom line is that I want him to enjoy his life as much as I do mine. He gives me as much as I give him. PS: I do think that it's important for dogs to go to obedience class when they are young. It has made both of our lives easier.
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:11 AM   #36

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
We traveled for two-years with a very large white male cat named Lucky.

Buying a supply of cat food that he WOULD eat was a problem, as many small stores didn't carry the brand and flavor he wanted that week. Sometimes he wanted dry cat food...other times the food HAD to come in a can!

Lucky was agreeable to taking walks in a harness a with retractable lease...both blue, of course, to match his blue eyes!

When I say agreeable, I mean that he would take walks...but only in directions that I didn't want to go! Like around and under a neighbor's RV in the middle of the night! More than once I just knew I was about to be shot!

Lucky enjoyed sitting on a campsite table and watching people walk by. He really enjoyed people coming over to pet and admire him. It was a great way to meet fellow campers, and we met some good friends that way.

Lucky was a heck of a lot of trouble in many ways. But, even though he was a bit grumpy as he got older, we loved him...and cried when he died.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #37

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Every dog i ever had in my life and he crossed the rainbow. I said never never again and i guess i will say it again when my Ginger (9) leaves us. I don`t plan on getting another. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #38
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Hey Charlie. Maybe you could explain for me, the purpose of a retractable leash. I don't get it. To me having a dog on a leash means having control of the dog, and the shorter the leash, the more control.
We have friends who use a retractable leash, and even though their dog is very well trained, when they let it run to the end of that leash, they are no longer in charge.
I don't use a retractable until the dog is already very obedient in terms of sit/come/stay which lets me control the length played out (up to 12 ft.) The dogs get more exercise running back & forth on a longer leash to sniff everything they come across. When needed I shorten the length as required to avoid bothering others.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:16 AM   #39

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Travelling with pets

From post 25

"Our dogs are rescues who spent years in cages for breeding so being able to let them bask in the great outdoors even on the end of a leash brings us a great deal of fulfillment."

Cate. We have a Shitzu who is also a rescue dog. Are you and Dan coming to St. Malo for the rally?

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #40

Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Adrian, We hope to meet your dogs and hear their stories at the Rally at St Malo.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote