ukuleles... lots of em - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #21

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
About Ukuleles
chek it out - great website
It IS a great site, Pam. In fact, the same day I ordered my ukulele, I also ordered his Speak Ukulele 2 CD.

I have been picking songs and the high G reentrant (sp?) tuning was getting on my nerves, so I changed my ukulele to low G tuning, and now I am even wilder about it than ever. I can't believe how good it sounds!

On edit, I am strumming in the key of B flat now. That is a major challenge, but my hands are finally getting the hang of it!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #22

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Sharon, Melissa, you have me thinking that maybe a ukalele is for me too. I also (sort of) played (very badly) after taking guitar lessons. Just couldn't get my fingers to stretch enough either to get very good. smaller fret, might work. and prices are really great!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
I started playing when I was eight... went on to guitar cuz the uke wasn't a cool thing to play at that age but I'm back to the little wonder now for good. they're easy to play and transport and tons of fun around a campfire.
Scott, how about a Vid of you playing ,,, for inspiration?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #24

I'd love to see a video, too, Scott!

Pam, I used to play a guitar but never got very good at it. The ukulele is a lot easier. And I love the lower alto sound of the concert size.

If you want to read about all things ukulele, check out the Ukulele Underground forums. It's guaranteed to give you a case of UAS.... ukulele acquisition syndrome.

Ukulele Boards
Old 08-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
could happen but it'll take a lot of beer...
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Scott, how about a Vid of you playing ,,, for inspiration?
OK... this is the premier performance of the club

Old 10-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #27

What fun, Scott! Where are you in the lineup?

I was invited to a jam tonight. I had heard that some of the players were pretty good, so I left my ukulele home as I didn't want to be the only porch plinker among pros.

Turns out there were a few songs that I would have gotten lost in, but most of them I would have been fine on. So I'll definitely be taking my uke to the next one!
Old 10-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #28

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
This Forum Rocks!

I grew up in Canada through the '70's and '80's and was subject to Chalmers Doane's Ukelele program.

"director of music education for the city of Halifax, he created a comprehensive music program designed to produce students who were musically literate by the end of grade six." - "The use of the ukulele as an educational tool was one of the innovative aspects of the program that captured public attention, and which became the basis of a country-wide program."

By the end of grade six I could rock the Uke. Haven't done squat since, I tried to learn Guitar in my 30"s with little success. This summer I was camping with friends and one pulled out a uke. It made the night. I've been shopping for one since and it fits into my boler plans. Easier to play than a guitar too.

I've got some great links for reviews and mail order Ukuleles I'll post shortly.

Cheers,
mark
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #29

Registry
hey Marc, check out the Vancouver Ukulele circle. they have been kind enough to let us use their song book. great group!

I'm 2nd from the left in the video BTW
Old 10-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #30

Quote:
I'm 2nd from the left in the video BTW
Nice to meet you, Scott!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #31

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
woooohooooo "uke can save the world"

very cool to see ukeleliests here.
i have been playing since 1963. have quite a collection, as you can never own one uke.
i have 20's ukes, new ukes, banjo ukes, cigar box ukes. i also recently built my first mountain dulcimer and am having a great time learning on it.

for the lady wanting to try uke playing,,, hilo makes a nice little uke you can get for about $30.
Miejers stores sell a plastic uke based on the old macaffery islander that was molded from the martin M1 and they actual play and sound very nice.
you won't believe who taught me to play... in 1963 my father , broather and i went with Fred Bear on a trip to africa to bow hunt elephant.
Aurthur Godfrey went also and sitting next to a campfire in africa showed me some basics.....now is that cool for a 12 year old kid or what?
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #32

Wow, John. That's the coolest introduction to uke I've ever read!
Old 01-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #33

Registry
that's a very cool story John. I hope I get a chance to play around a campfire with you some day. I have a similar collection... favorite being a custom made Taropatch 8 string uke.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #34

Michigan
lol ever notice when you pull out a uke at a campground a crowd gathers?

you'd think i was actualy good with it.lol
Old 02-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #35

Registry
I think we both have them fooled John
Old 02-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #36

Michigan
nice thing about the uke for me, when i pull it out no one takes me serious,,,, which with my voice is a positive.<_<
Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #37

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
okay everybody---you have inspired me! i bought my husband a guitar for his 50th birthday almost 5 years ago, with hopes he would be able to entertain me around a campfire. he found he just couldn't get the finger action down because he found the neck too big. apparently, from what i found out, it's just a normal size. either way, no guitar playing has been happening around our fire!
i had given some thought to trying to teach myself to play....now---forget the darn guitar, i'm going to hunt me down a uke! with sharon, melissa and pam giving it a try, i think i'll be next!
my campfire thanks you....but my camping neighbours most likely won't!!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #38

Michigan
ok, heres two nice inexpensive ukes, the Hilo you can get for about $30
and one at miejers thats plastic , but a direct copy of martin guitars m1 uke . it plays and sounds pretty nice.

you can get some info on playing at EZfolk.com

and here is some insperation for you. but don't let jim intimidate you.he is a genious, we can just play for fun.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #39

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Wow! That was great. Inspirational in deed. Thx John.
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #40

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
Oh, Melissa, that would be so much fun!

I am having second thoughts about whether or not I ordered the right ukulele. I heard a Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert size being played on three different Youtube videos, and the sound is so much richer and warmer. Also, I do like the concert size for packing in the camper. And Mainland sets them up for you when you buy them, too. I might return the Lanikai.... not sure yet. Anyway, the Mainland is a lot more expensive.

I really want to get good at finger picking solos since it will be rare that I have anyone to play with (except you at rallies!).

I am so grateful that Scott started this thread. I had been looking at all kinds of portable instruments like mandolins and dulcimers, and they just didn't seem like "me." So I've been looking for the right thing to get me back into music, and it looks like the uke will be the one!
there is no wrong ukulele.