ukuleles... lots of em - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
ukuleles... lots of em

I started playing when I was eight... went on to guitar cuz the uke wasn't a cool thing to play at that age but I'm back to the little wonder now for good. they're easy to play and transport and tons of fun around a campfire.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Hey Scott, I've been looking for a small stringed instrument to learn to play esp around the campfire. I have tiny hands and guitars are too big and intimidating. I've always liked the ukulele. How would one go about getting started with something like this?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:11 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
Here's a few friends that hang around. The little 'Juke is about 90 years old but still lots of fun.
Attached Thumbnails
014 (683x1024).jpg   016 (683x1024).jpg  

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #4

Registry
there's tons on youtube.com Melissa. the Ukulele is the fastest growing stringed instrument in sales right now. check out your local music store and expect to spend $75 or more for a good starter. if there's a club in your area, join up... you'll find a bunch of super folks that just want to have fun and share. Uke player are the best people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hey Scott, I've been looking for a small stringed instrument to learn to play esp around the campfire. I have tiny hands and guitars are too big and intimidating. I've always liked the ukulele. How would one go about getting started with something like this?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #5

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
OK Group...just try to watch this one without saying "Aaahhh" !!

Cheers, P.
PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #6

Trailer: Aliner
Paul, I just forwarded that Youtube link to everyone in my contacts.

Amazing--and precious!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #7

Holy Cow! How do those kids spread their fingers that far and stretch their hands up to the top?!?! My Mom plays guitar and gave up years ago teaching me b/c my fingers couldnt stretch/reach for some of the cords and it's the same with my daughter. Our hands cramp too. Amazing!! Must be Gummy Hands, lol!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Just to keep this thread going, here's the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain doing the Theme From Shaft:

Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #9

Ok, I was just looking up Ukuleles and have no idea what would be good for a beginner. Any suggestions?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:15 AM   #10

I know you should NEVER buy an instrument over the net. But I've spent several hours reading reviews and couldn't resist.

So I just ordered a Lanikai LU-21T Tenor Ukulele. The reviews say that they are a decent quality beginner ukulele, and I think I'll like the larger size and deeper sound.

Years ago I (sort of) played the guitar. So this should be FUN!!!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:59 PM   #11

Melissa, this site lists many brands and has reviews for each of them. I looked for recommendations for beginner ukuleles.
Ukulele Brands | Ukulele Review

Mine should arrive May 3. I've continued reading reviews and for a decent quality beginner-intermediate guitar, it looks to me like the Lanikai LU series is the most highly recommended.

I got a great buy on Amazon. My tenor ukulele was under $100. The smaller ones are a lot less expensive, too.

Here is a video that shows the different sizes of ukuleles. You would probably be happy with the soprano or concert ones -- Lanikai LU 21 C or S. Check out the reviews on Amazon.

I am such a newbie and only know what I have discovered on the net. I was waiting to see if anyone else would answer you first.

on edit... changed the video link. This is the right one.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #12

Thanks Sharon! That really helps. Wouldnt it be fun if we're both camping with our Snoozys and playing our Ukes, LOL! At least you've got some music experience. The closest I've ever gotten to music is the radio, LOL.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #13

Oh, Melissa, that would be so much fun!

I am having second thoughts about whether or not I ordered the right ukulele. I heard a Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert size being played on three different Youtube videos, and the sound is so much richer and warmer. Also, I do like the concert size for packing in the camper. And Mainland sets them up for you when you buy them, too. I might return the Lanikai.... not sure yet. Anyway, the Mainland is a lot more expensive.

I really want to get good at finger picking solos since it will be rare that I have anyone to play with (except you at rallies!).

I am so grateful that Scott started this thread. I had been looking at all kinds of portable instruments like mandolins and dulcimers, and they just didn't seem like "me." So I've been looking for the right thing to get me back into music, and it looks like the uke will be the one!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #14

Hi Sharon, I am leaning towards the Kayla KA-S Soprano as my starter and should also be good for my daughter. Then later if I like a bigger Uke/different sound I'll go from there. KALA KA-S SOPRANO UKULELE PACKAGE w/ BAG and TUNER - eBay (item 330547530022 end time May-27-11 09:50:39 PDT)

Finger Picking, wow! You are advanced.

YES! Thank you Scott! I too have been looking for a small stringed Non-intimidating instrument to learn to play.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #15

Melissa, that uke gets a 5 star review at Amazon (24 reviewers). Looks like a great choice.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #16

Registry
I usually go by price when suggesting a starter uke. no less than $50 but $100 is better. a good brand would be Kala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Ok, I was just looking up Ukuleles and have no idea what would be good for a beginner. Any suggestions?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #17

Registry
they come in different sizes... starts with soprano, the concert, tenor and baritone. the Baritone is tuned like the top 4 strings on a guitar (DGBE)`.

the others are tuned as ukes... GCEA but the frets are larger as you get bigger in size so if you're like me and have bigger fingers, a concert or tenor may be a better pick.
hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
banjoleleme.jpg  
Old 06-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #18

I got my Mainland mahogany concert ukulele May 6 and am just crazy about it.

I also got Hal Leonard's Ukulele Method books 1 & 2 and am thrilled at how easy he makes it to learn.

I can strum in the keys of C, G, F and D, and am also playing the notes on the strings.... AND I am starting to put melodies together with chords by ear to get a very elemental finger picking effect.

I figure I'll be in Book 2 for a while. Then I'll move on to Learn to Play Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele by Mark Kailana Nelson. That looks like it's going to be a major challenge!

My ukulele has added a wonderful new dimension to my life.

Here's a picture of my baby.
Attached Thumbnails
mainland_uke_sm1.JPG  
Old 06-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #19

Registry
way to go Sharon! there's a great song list at Alligator Boogaloo presents UKULELE BOOGALOO!
lots of great tunes there and the chords are pictured on most.
I just picked up a used O'hana that I love... I'm well into double digits now. ukes everywhere.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #20

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
About Ukuleles
chek it out - great website
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote