Vintage camping equipment, lanterns, stoves, accessories... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
At his age the GG might only be trotting. The TG?

Donna, have you googled for small appliance repair services? Just a thought. Tulsa still had a small appliance repair shop open up until (IIRC) 3 or 4 years ago. Somewhere in some bigger city I bet there still is such a shop, probably run by some TARP (trotting appliance repair person).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #22

Name: Orlen
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
Orlen, that is a neat story. Is the fount green? Heck with a little lovin' ot could still glow!
The fount is silver colored. I'm assuming it is nickel plated brass as noted in an article I read about Coleman lamps and lanterns.

What I would really like to find is one of the old gas fired wall lamps like I used to see in cabins in Maine and the Colorado mountains. It probably wouldn't be a good thing to actually use in the camper but would be neat hanging on the wall.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #23

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
The link to the identification and dating information disappeared from my post when it posted. here it is;
OldColemanParts.com | Lantern Identification

Watch out Orlen...I hear it's addicting! The fount on my 242 is so dirty I'm just hoping it's nickel under all the crud. At this point it looks like really dirty corroded brass. I have see those clean up to be nickel...F\fingers crossed. I' might tackle it today. We broke the lantern completely down yesterday.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #24

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
You have me looking closer at the lantern and it's stamped "Made in Canada 8 36. Would this then be a 242 B model?
James, according to my cheat sheet I made to carry with me the date would indicate that it is a 242A they were made in 35-36, but not sure since it is Canadian made. Does it have a model stamped on the base rest /collar? It look like a very nice lantern.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #25

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Looking at the end of your section on stoves there is information about lanterns by year and the 242A mentions made from 1935-6 and the pump handle lacks air hole and positive shut-off. This one has both. Maybe they tried their updates on us before introducing it south of the border. After all Ford and Mercury did it with their Meteor and Monarch cars. This one was my father-in-laws lantern and the other half won't part with it. I have replaced the globe with a reproduction. Otherwise it's very original and in perfect working condition. A drop of oil on the pump leather keeps it soft and pliable.
I went over it with a magnifying glass and found no other marks or stampings other than those that show in the photos.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #26

Name: Deb
Trailer: Scamp 13' & Scamp 16' layout 6
S. Florida
vintage Coleman equipment

Lizbeth,
Thanks for posting this topic and related web sites. I spent some amount of time cruising through the references. The info I read then prompted me to go dig out an old Coleman stove from our camping supplies.

It is a model "5402A picnic stove", a one-burner small unit that is fueled by a single small can of LP gas. Color: pink (!) I still have the original box. The listed dates on the cheat sheet show 1962-1964 which jives with the date my Dad purchased it at an Army-Navy store. I stopped using it in mid 90's because the gas canisters were hard to find. I believe it is still operable. Will try to fire it up this afternoon.

We first used the stove on a family camping trip in summer 1963. I can accurately pinpoint the date because we have a photo of my mother posed in front of the big surplus Army tent at the campsite. In the photo, Mom is quite pregnant with my brother who was born in Oct. 1963.

Liz, Thanks for the trip down memory lane !
Deb
Deb&Sam D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #27

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
This is my Canadian Coleman Pocket II, model 505 single burner stove. It's dated 1977 and came with a metal canister which in turn came in a vinyl case with a belt loop. I carried this stove on many a canoe trip and it's still in regular use with the trailer to perk our morning coffee.
Attached Thumbnails
coleman pocket II 003 (1024x683).jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote