Visiting Iowa and the day the music died. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2021, 12:15 AM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Visiting Iowa and the day the music died.

On February 3, 1959, American rock and roll musicians Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and "The Big Bopper" J. P. Richardson were killed in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa, together with pilot Roger Peterson. The site is just of I-35 in northern Iowa. I was there with a Jayco 5th wheel and F350, so I know my Scamp will fit. Last time I could not walk to the crash site but will this time. I will also take something to leave behind, maybe some 1959 coins?

Attached Thumbnails
music died.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:40 AM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Seems an odd place to want to visit more than once (if that....)
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
The road less traveled is filled with places that may not interest you, but to others they are worth a stop, or more than one.

Hemmingway's grave, Idaho https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...ingway-s-grave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150530_110926630.jpg  
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:20 AM   #4

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
I like traveling the back roads rather than super highways to find stuff like this. One of the most moving places I found by accident was because I took a wrong turn on a back road. My brother and I saw a huge boulder with an obelisk on it so we stopped to see what it was. A man had erected the obelisk and carved a memorial on the boulder to his brother who had died in the Civil War. Just an ordinary man paying tribute to his brother. It was very moving. I will have to see if I can rediscover it and get a picture since I didn't have a smartphone back then nor my camera with me.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:42 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
McIntosh Woods SP in Clear Lake Iowa is a great place to camp
The Surf ballroom , Buddy Holly Memorial, paddle wheel boat rides on clear lake and many other sites to see in the area
We will be making our annual pilgrimage to Iowa in May , God willing and they find some covid vaccine , always a good time
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:44 AM   #6

Tennessee
I'll confess to having visited the "World's Largest Ball of Twine" three (!!!) times. The first was an accident, the second because we liked traveling that route and stopped again as we passed by. The third was because friends could not believe we had stopped there twice so we went a little out of our way just to confound them.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2021-02-03 largest ball of string - Google Search.jpg  
Old 02-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
On February 3, 1959, American rock and roll musicians Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and "The Big Bopper" J. P. Richardson were killed in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa, together with pilot Roger Peterson. The site is just of I-35 in northern Iowa. I was there with a Jayco 5th wheel and F350, so I know my Scamp will fit. Last time I could not walk to the crash site but will this time. I will also take something to leave behind, maybe some 1959 coins?

Hi,

Visiting the location where "The Music Died" is on my bucket list of places to go. I'm a senior too so you'll have to tell us how difficult the walk is to the location. It was 62 years ago today that the three of them died and rock music was forever changed because of their pioneering efforts in the media.
DaveB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler
Registry
On my bucket list too.
The show went on as scheduled with other

musicians including Bobby Vee (Robert Thomas Veline).
J. Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:15 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Registry
easy walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB. View Post
Hi,
I'm a senior too so you'll have to tell us how difficult the walk is to the location. It was 62 years ago today that the three of them died and rock music was forever changed because of their pioneering efforts in the media.
I had joint pain at the time and did not do it, but it should be an easy walk.

This part of Iowa has no big hills.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:35 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Visiting ? ? ?

Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I have visited Edith Piaf's grave in Paris more than once, and Jim Morrison's near it. And Hi Jollys pyramid grave in Quartsite every time I am there. Maybe the graves have not changed but I have. And I discovered Pompey's grave on a gravel road in eastern Oregon on the road from Winnemucca to Idaho. The son of Sacajewa, he later lived with royalty in Europe and traveled to Africa, and information changes about him and his history. I've visited Mt Rushmore many times and the nearby Crazyhorse monument is changing each year I go there. You might not notice the changes ,but there have been big changes in the 65 years I have gone there . People still visit the " Field of Dreams" , and I visited Walton's Mountain when I drove back east ! Small things can be important to different people ! Be well, be safe . David in Fresno and Sonora .
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:40 PM   #11

Tennessee
I'd love to see the Hi Jolly pyramid! He was featured in a really good book I read recently, Inland by Tea Obreht. https://www.fantasticfiction.com/o/t...eht/inland.htm
Old 02-05-2021, 08:23 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
Quote:
I'd love to see the Hi Jolly pyramid! He was featured in a really good book I read recently, Inland by Tea Obreht. https://www.fantasticfiction.com/o/t...eht/inland.htm
In case you don't get there soon:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190120_162851234.jpg   IMG_20190120_162942715.jpg  

TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #13

Wisconsin
Registry
HI JOLLY

Quote:
There is a new video of it 2 minutes in at at
Old 02-05-2021, 08:26 PM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
A few years back I visited a desolate crossroads near Pampa, TX. It was the spot in the movie Castaway where Tom Hanks was lost, looking to deliver that last Fed Ex package.

I’ll probably go back sometime if I am anywhere near.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I have visited numerous out of the way sites all over America some with historic significance, some with botanic significance, and many just because they are interesting to me personally. Someone mentioned Edith Piaf. I like her music and was reading up on her and there was a nice photograph . It was taken by Carl Van Vechten a native of my home town. I had oversight for a city park named after him for many years. He portrait photographed many luminaries.
I have also walked to and photographed out of the way geodetic survey markers and obscure historic sites. Therefore I can very much understand the “Day the music died” quest, and as an unfailing proponent of unhurried, interesting and culturally enriching tourism in my home state I welcome everyone. From historic Effigy mounds of the woodland culture to one of the most fascinating museums, the Bily Brothers clock museum, in Spillville to more modern attractions. Don’t ’t overlook Iowa just because it won’t overheat your transmission. And if you want to repeat your vows or get hitched for the first time you can’t do much better than the Little Brown Church in the Vale at Nashua, Iowa. Let me know when you’re going to be at the Dutchman’s store in Cantril, I will buy your ice cream cone or bowl. 1 lb. cost me $.75.
Yes I ate it all before it melted.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
97438B99-755E-4FB1-9E86-4F85F3223DAD.jpg  
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:49 AM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Don't forget the future birth place of James T. Kirk.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:40 AM   #17

Iowa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverside,_Iowa
Been to Riverside to fish the English River several times. Just off I-380 on Highway 22. Highway 22 goes over to Kalona Iowa to the west a few scenic miles. Kalona has a considerable Amish population and has an Amish bulk grocery and great cheese curds at the creamery nearby. Lots of horses and buggies, electricity, not so much.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-06-2021, 12:11 PM   #18

Wisconsin
Registry
A picture for everything

[QUOTE=Iowa Dave;804539And if you want to repeat your vows or get hitched for the first time you can’t do much better than the Little Brown Church in the Vale at Nashua, Iowa.Iowa Dave[/QUOTE]
Been there/done that.
Attached Thumbnails
02 brownchurch.jpg  
Old 02-06-2021, 01:11 PM   #19

Iowa
They are doing some long needed renovations to the church at this time. Just saw a news story on it a couple week ago.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-06-2021, 02:01 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverside,_Iowa
Been to Riverside to fish the English River several times. Just off I-380 on Highway 22. Highway 22 goes over to Kalona Iowa to the west a few scenic miles. Kalona has a considerable Amish population and has an Amish bulk grocery and great cheese curds at the creamery nearby. Lots of horses and buggies, electricity, not so much.
Iowa Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------
One time I stopped at a gas station in Iowa while coming beck from Maine and the east coast . I was talking to a guy with a truck full of antiques, he said he was from Ottumwa, Iowa. .. I said, " so you must know Radar O'Reilly ! " He said Radar was his neighbor, and he had just driven by Radar's house and it looked like he was home. He said it with a straight face ! Sometimes truth is stranger than friction, or verse visa ! LOL David in Fresno and Sonora, hoping to get to Quartzsite in the next week or so !
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote