Windows 10 Released today - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat > Hobbies & Passions
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2015, 06:38 AM   #1
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Windows 10 Released today

Wow, what a pleasant surprise. As one who had a 30 year career at "HAL" I have used every Windows version since the 1st launch.
Like many folks I didn't care much for Windows 8 but today Microsoft came up with the fix. Not only does it seem to address most of the annoyances of 8 it looks like 10 can be down loaded for free. I'm looking forward to upgrading our puters and checking it out further.

Here is a short vid of the new version 10.... Windows 10 review | The Verge
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I hear that they are including a new WDH with the full edition of Windows-10 to distribute more of the keyboard touch weight between the fingers and the elbow and reduce weight on the tush as well.....

A keyboard set-up "Pro" has already posted that this change will allow you to exceed the Windows-10 maximum rating of 575 input strokes per minute to up to 935 SPM, but that is only valid in Canada where metric strokes are used.

(LOLOLOL in case you didn't guess!)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #3
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I hear that they are including a new WDH with the full edition of Windows-10 to distribute more of the keyboard touch weight between the fingers and the elbow and reduce weight on the tush as well.....
....and will be sure to get the OK my Lawyer before installing it on my keybd.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Wayne, you are a brave, brave man to install a new Windows edition on your computer as soon as it becomes available. I plan on wimping out for a few months until all the bugs and unwanted features have been dealt with. Is it true that Solitaire now has advertisements?
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
MC1

Ontario
You made a good point Terry. I'm going to wait a bit and watch the vibes on the net, and then if the grape vine reactions are good I will try it on my BH's newish windows 8 laptop. Since she bought it she never liked it and I keep fining her using her old Android tablet.
So will use her laptop as a test to see how it works out. Then if all looks good and I like it I may upgrade my windows 7 desktop.

I'm interested to hear about anyone on the forum here who has downloaded 10 and is using it.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
There is a time limit to how long upgrade of both windows 7 & 8 to 10 will be free not sure how long but... You know what they say: Service pack 3 then it's for me.

Will be a tension between not wanting to be an early adopter beta tester and wanting the free upgrade. From all reports it performs decent on older machines that were just barely capable of running windows 7. So at least this is not the must upgrade hardware at great expense so that it will run that some upgrades have been.

Anyone ever try to run windows 95 on a 386 computer works if you have the ram but paint dries faster than it boots.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

Anyone ever try to run windows 95 on a 386 computer works if you have the ram but paint dries faster than it boots.
Ever try to play a football game on a PC jr? It took about 20 sec's for the ball to go 30' through the air. That jr was a $3,500 joke even back in the 80's when introduced. I was glad when mine was was stolen.

Thnxs for the thoughts Roger. I may try the upgrade sooner than later.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
My 386, the first PC I ever bought, had the latest and greatest Windows 3.1.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #9

Michigan
My favorite was a game called scorched earth, 2D outline and blobs of colored shapes. Old DOS game. You had different artillery you could play as, you could buy upgrades such as special shells or fuel for portable models. Fun to play and the computer would play any guns not taken by a player, think there were 6 different "player" cannons.

Each player used arrow keys to "aim" his artillery piece to destroy other pieces, the "terrain" looked like the price chart of the stock market and you could remove some by hitting it. Making the other cannon fall off the side of a mountain was worth points & money.

The shell traveling through the air and resulting explosion was drawn on the screen based on the speed at which the computer counted. Count to 100 move the shell, count to 100 move the shell. Same for expanding the explosion graphic. Count to 100 draw the red and orange patches bigger.

Here is where it got funny. Playing this on ANY Pentium you would play your cannon, yes the shot and explosion happened in a split second rather than taking a bit of time but not too bad BUT when the computer got it's turn to fire all the cannons without human players..... Woosh, boom, done. What? Whole board just changed in less than a second as all 4 or 5 remaining cannon went off and scored!?! Computer could just count too darn fast and the game was unplayable.

I kept a 386 running for about an extra 3 years just to play that game.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Wait & See

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
Wayne, you are a brave, brave man to install a new Windows edition on your computer as soon as it becomes available. I plan on wimping out for a few months until all the bugs and unwanted features have been dealt with. Is it true that Solitaire now has advertisements?

I agree, and the Computer "Pro's" down here also seem to be saying the same thing. Wait about 90 more daze before becoming an extended Beta tester and also to let the hackers find the flaws so MS can patch them first as well.

Win-7 Rules
Win-8 SOX

PC User since DOS 2.0, and a veteran of the battles between the non-compatible "DOS Compatible" computers.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I am one who does not mind Windows 8. Some definite niceties compared to 7, BUT definitely could use some fine tuning. I will be giving 10 a go on my ultrabook right away.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:12 AM   #12
MC1

Ontario
Sounds good Jim. Interested to hear what you have to say about it.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:28 AM   #13

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am one who does not mind Windows 8. Some definite niceties compared to 7, BUT definitely could use some fine tuning. I will be giving 10 a go on my ultrabook right away.
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #14
MC1

Ontario
Looks like we will have a year to take advantage of the free upgrade.

"Microsoft’s Windows 10 is out Wednesday. That means the clock is now ticking for current users of Windows 7 and up, who will have one year from today to take advantage of Microsoft’s free upgrade offer."
Old 07-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #15

Name: Beth
Trailer: eventually
Ontario
Can anyone confirm if they did or did not do away with the auto update that couldn't be delayed or gotten around.

For those who are travelling and using limited or slow wifi services, an auto update could make for a very testy experience.
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
Can anyone confirm if they did or did not do away with the auto update that couldn't be delayed or gotten around.

For those who are travelling and using limited or slow wifi services, an auto update could make for a very testy experience.
If you scroll down on this article, it will give you a way to stop automatic updates. Originally, Microsoft was going to make them mandatory but they came to their senses.

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 | WIRED
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Go into the Control Panel and set the updates to where YOU choose to install them. That way, you can download and install them when you're near WIFI. I would NOT go long without installing updates. You also need to make sure you keep an updated Anti-Virus software. I use the freebies and they work fine. (Avast)

I have a "spare" Win 8 notebook I'm downloading Win 10 to. We've already received a notice from our major software provider (Exact JobBoss) to NOT upgrade to WIN 10 yet because they're not guaranteeing "compatibility". Oh boy...here we go!

Win 7 is the best system they've ever had. Less blue screens by far over the infamous XP. We use the "PRO" version on all software because of networking.

History... anybody remember WOLFENSTEIN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost There View Post

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:23 PM   #18

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I moved to linux about 10 years ago and will never return to windows on my computers. But I'm upgrading spare windows 7 netbook to w10 now to see what w10 is. Only 2 hours passed, but the update is at 51% already :-)
Old 07-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #19

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I was going to do the same, Jim, but about an hour ago my trusty ole Toshiba crashed so it looks like I'm gonna wait a while.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #20

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

A keyboard set-up "Pro" has already posted that this change will allow you to exceed the Windows-10 maximum rating of 575 input strokes per minute to up to 935 SPM, but that is only valid in Canada where metric strokes are used.

(LOLOLOL in case you didn't guess!)

LP

Tags
windows