Wood Carving, all kinds - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Wood Carving, all kinds

One my hobbies is Wood Carving. Anne is also an avid carver.
For the past several years I've carved a Christmas pin for our 4 daughters, and a Christmas ornament for our 4 grand children. This year the oldest grand child will graduate to adult status and get a carved pin instead of an ornament. So now I get to carve 6 Christmas pins, and 4 Ornaments. Yup, the math is correct, Anne gets one of each.

Anne like to carve villages in cotton wood bark.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #2

Name: Linda
Texas
I am sure that you do lovely work. Perhaps you could post some of your ornaments and pins.
Linda B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:13 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Hi Byron,

Wonder if we will meet one day. I have the woodcarving tools... but haven't quite got the knack of doing it yet. I tried it... but for some reason I wanted to see the result too quickly. So, I got myself a small lathe and have been making pens and pencils... as well as toothpick holders, pill holders and even letter openers. I make unique stuff... like pens out of Iowa corncobs, Arizona cactus pens, Texas bluebonet flower pens to name a few. Even got some "money pens"... made out of shredded US currency.

Pen man
Joe Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #4

Registry
Pictures of Carvings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda B View Post
I am sure that you do lovely work. Perhaps you could post some of your ornaments and pins.
I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. This moving from one house to another takes a lot out of ya.
For lack anything better show you here's one of my sites with some carvings. http://home.earthlink.net/~a.b.carving/

Someday I'll add a bunch more.

Byron
Old 08-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lacey View Post
Hi Byron,

Wonder if we will meet one day. I have the woodcarving tools... but haven't quite got the knack of doing it yet. I tried it... but for some reason I wanted to see the result too quickly. So, I got myself a small lathe and have been making pens and pencils... as well as toothpick holders, pill holders and even letter openers. I make unique stuff... like pens out of Iowa corncobs, Arizona cactus pens, Texas bluebonet flower pens to name a few. Even got some "money pens"... made out of shredded US currency.

Pen man

That's cool. I had an old sloppy lathe for a few years, turning was difficult at best so I didn't do a lot. About a year ago I gave to my son-in-law and bought a Jet Midi. Haven't had the time yet to really play with it. It's not even set up to use at the moment. Hopefully I'll be able to make some Christmas presents with it this year.

Byron
Old 08-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
That's cool. I had an old sloppy lathe for a few years, turning was difficult at best so I didn't do a lot. About a year ago I gave to my son-in-law and bought a Jet Midi. Haven't had the time yet to really play with it. It's not even set up to use at the moment. Hopefully I'll be able to make some Christmas presents with it this year.

Byron
I have the Jet vari-speed. Started changing the belt (speed) but have settled down on the medium belt pulley ... I can vary the speed from 1100-2500 with that setting....seems to work fine for me.

Checked out your woodcarving site...enjoyed viewing how you have progressed from the initial chips to the works you produce today.

Pen man
Old 08-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
I had an old sloppy lathe for a few years, turning was difficult at best so I didn't do a lot.

Byron
Byron
A "Sloppy Lathe".... I have one of those sitting in the back of the garage if you ever want another.
Thanks for showing your carvings.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #8

I to ha Jet vari-speed and I try my hand with Pens and after a few I just set it a side
Emmitt G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #9

Hi Emmitt.... read your post.... am a bit confused. You tried it and set it aside.<?> Does that mean you are comfortable it will do what you want..... but you have other stuff you need to do now..... Or that you tried it and are not ready to actually do any work on the lathe at this time.

I had a Pen Wizard. Tried it... didn't really get comfortable with it. Laid it aside for about 3 months and finally sold it.

Pen man
Old 08-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #10

hay...Joe, Oh I made a few pen's and found out the it was just not what I wanted to do.
Emmitt G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #11

Hi Emmitt, I have a similar situation. I don't have any desire to make bowls.... so I don't really know what else I can make on this lathe.<sigh>...I've run out of folks I can give pens to....and it starts to get costly buying the blanks and hardware<grin>

Pen man
Old 09-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #12

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Hubby has been interested in wood carving for years but has no idea how to get started. Are there groups for this sort of thing? "Carve-ins" were mentioned. How do you find one? Can you really learn from a book? Is there a "getting started" kit with basic tools, videos etc? I'm thinking I may have just come up with his Christmas present, lol.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #13

Hi Melissa. Hopefully others will jump in and tell you a LOT more than I can. I thought I would like to do wood carving. Jumped into it and bought a lot of tools, got some books and was able to join a great local club. However, I am still learning. Barnes and Nobles (or any good book store) will have wood carving magazines. I picked up WoodCarving Illustrated (How-to-Magazine-for-Carvers) Woodcarving Illustrated - How To Magazine for Carvers that will at least point you in the right direction. Another source is MHCrafters.com - Professional Wod Carving Tools at Discount Prices

That should, at least give your husband an idea of why type of wood carving might interest him. It is an extensive field to explore. BTW...a LOT of women are excellent carvers... I think some of them started out because they were tired of peeling potatoes (only kidding, only kidding)<grin>

Pen man
Old 09-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #14

Thanks, Joe. Good info! Do I just go online to try and find a local wood carving group? LOL, that's why I taught myself to knit, so I didnt have to peel taters any more
Old 09-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #15

Yes, the Internet has become the major communication path to social ice-breaking conversations<grin>. Explore a local carving club.... if possible. Check out the RV resorts and RV communities. In other words, places where the community has clubs.

Sunflower RV Resort (Surprise, AZ) enjoys a huge "winter visitor" population. Over 33 different clubs and activities are available when the 'winter visitors' arrive. That is where I found the wood carving club. That club is also associated with 4 other nearby RV resort woodcarver clubs that weekly trade as being a "host" to the other clubs. The result is more than 100 woodcarvers and a wide variety of woodcarving skill levels and interests... it ain't just whittlin' <grin>. Relief carving, power tool carving, chip carving are just a few categories. You can also go to Michaels or other craft place and find basic woodcarving kits.... And... what about your local Boy Scout organization? They probably have someone who knows about woodcarving and can provide someone with knowledge about "easy" books... or a local person who teaches or will show the basics.

Pen man
Old 09-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #16

Great Suggestions, thanks! I tried contacting our local club through the email addy provided online but my email came back "undeliverable". I'll have to explore some of the other options you gave me.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #17

Regarding "contacting" others.... we tend to use the Internet so frequently we forget to use that old fashion device.... telephone.... especially if it's local call<grin>

We lived in Florida for several years, both Miami area (80's) and Pensacola (90's). Went back later with our work (a travel job). Totally disappointed with Miami area... decided to give up on visiting Florida in the future. However, we were extremely happy to have been fortunate to live in Florida when we had the opportunity.... Lots of good memories.

Pen Man
Old 09-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #18

Registry
A couple more suggestions for finding a local carving group.
Join the woodcarvers mail list at Woodcarver Info Page
Ask about clubs or groups in your area on the mail list.
Go to your local "Woodcraft" store if you have one and ask about local groups.

Other ideas to help get started, Get a book or two by Tom Wolfe, his books are generally step by step for the beginner.

Tools, the only tool needed to start with is a bench knife, Butz is good one. Get a glove that's cut resistant to wear on your non-knife had and get a thumb protector. There's lots of on line carving supply stores.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #19

Awesome, THANKS! I never know what to get him for Christmas (he never has an answer when I ask) so he usually ends up with a gift card or shirts so I'm excited to be able to get him something fun!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #20

Registry
Great. That's how I got started. I mentioned that it might be something I could do. Next birthday a couple knives, a couple blocks of bass wood and a book. The rest is history.
PS Anne carves as much or more than I do now.