Wood Turning? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
I got hooked on wood turning about 3-4 years ago. I still have a lot to learn, but just making the chips fly is always fun. I have a small lathe that I sometimes bring along on trailer rallyes, either to turn new bowls or "finish" some that need final turning or fine sanding and finishing. Here are a few.

Sandy is a quilter and has recently finished a wall hanging banner for our Church. It depicts the "Trees of the Bible". I'll have to provide the photo later, as I seem to have had a computer glitch transferring from IPhone to Windows 7 computer to Windows 2000 computer.

Attached Thumbnails
Wood_turning_006.JPG   Wood_turning_044.JPG  

Wood_turning_005.JPG   Wood_turning_002.JPG  

Wood_turning_017.JPG   Wood_turning_003.JPG  

Wood_turning_042.JPG  
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #2

Here is Sandy's Quilted Church Banner, as promised.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Church_Banner_1.jpg  
Old 05-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (B17STD)
Mike some very nice work. I've started to collect a bit wood turning, I'm amazed at what you guys can do. If you ever get a chance take a class with Mike Hosaluk don't pass it up. He is a local guy, and super nice.
Daryl R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I got hooked on wood turning about 3-4 years ago. I still have a lot to learn, but just making the chips fly is always fun. I have a small lathe that I sometimes bring along on trailer rallyes, either to turn new bowls or "finish" some that need final turning or fine sanding and finishing. Here are a few.

Sandy is a quilter and has recently finished a wall hanging banner for our Church. It depicts the "Trees of the Bible". I'll have to provide the photo later, as I seem to have had a computer glitch transferring from IPhone to Windows 7 computer to Windows 2000 computer.
Hi Mike,

Beautiful work, thanks for posting .
Leehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 13 ft Scamp
Hi Mike,

Very nice work ! I have a wood lathe that I fooled around with many years ago. I just recently went to the John C Campbell Folk School in North Carolina and took a week-long class in woodturning, and I'm hooked. I plan to set up a small year-round workshop in my garage (I live in Michigan). At the end of the class we were given several recommendations for lathes and turning equipment. Two of the smaller lathes that were recommended were the Delta 46-460 Midi Lathe, and the Jet 1220VS lathe. I'm curious if you've heard of these, and what you are currently using. You obviously know what you're doing.

Larry
Larry Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:06 AM   #6

Larry,

Welcome to the hobby that "lets the chips fall where they may"!

I have a Jet 16" swing by 42" length electronic variable speed reversible lathe as my primary lathe. I also have a Jet 10" swing by 24" length variable speed non-reversible midi lathe which I frequently take with me on camping trips.

Not too long ago I videotaped a two-hour demo on multi-axis turning, done by a super turner, who owns multiple lathes and does some amazing stuff. He did the demo on the Delta midi lathe and spoke very highly of it as he used it. I considered the Delta, but at my age, even hauling around the Jet 1024 is a handful, and the Delta is substantially heavier.

For the same reason of weight limits, I decided against the Jet 1220 because it was too heavy. And I really didn't need the 12" capacity, since I already had the 16" Jet for work at home.

I started with a hand-me-down from my Dad. It was a Craftsman 6"(?), with a stamped steel bed. No cast iron. Eventually traded for a cast iron 12" x 36" Jet 5-speed. That's the one I got started with in the Woodturning club.

I am still a beginner, but I enjoy the challeng.

I encourage you to search out the nearest woodturning club and start asking questions.

Cheers,

Mike

PS: I am working on a new "winged bowl" out of teak, which I will take to the Oregon Gathering if I can get it done by then (we are traveling to So Calif to visit my 95-year-old Mom for several days, which will make it nip and tuck to get the bowl done in time.) I'll post a photo of it here when I get it done.

The "bowl" is only about 5" in dia., but the wings are 12" long and only about 1/8 " thick.

If you check my first post....the first photo shows 3 different winged bowls, the front one is a teak winged bowl that was turned from a 3/4" thick piece of teak.

Mike

Old 09-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #7

Monkey Puzzle turned wood bowl.

I finally managed to finish my first monkey-puzzle wood bowl. Here are the views of the top, the bottom, a side shot in sunshine and another side shot taken indoors with available light, with my Iphone.

The raw, dry wood is pale light tan, with darker "eyes" before finishing the piece. There was nothing but walnut oil used to finish the pieces. The deep, rich colors were not stained or colored in any way....they just "POP" out when the walnut oli is applied.

Enjoy!

Mike

PS: The bowl is about 9 inches across.
Attached Thumbnails
Bowl Top IMG_0526.jpg   Bowl Bottom IMG_0531.jpg  

Cropped Mikes monkeypuzzle_4.jpg   Cropped IMG_0529.jpg  

Old 09-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
That is absolutely beautiful Mike... just like all your other turned bowls
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Very very nice! Keep posting photos of your work.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #10

Name: Roger
Trailer: 1979 Trillium Jubilee
New York
Very nice work. I do some turning meself, but so far it's been limited to pens and a couple of bottle stoppers. I'm still a newbie for the most part.
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #11

Turned wood Christmas Tree Balls

i bought a new tool! I am now able to create hollowed wood Christmas Tree Balls. Each wood ball is hollowed out to a wall thickness of 1/8" to 1/16" through a 7/8" hole in the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
All Xmas Balls on table.JPG   3 Xmas Balls.JPG  

2 Xmas Balls.JPG   Spalted Maple Xmas Ball.JPG  

Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 AM   #12

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Very Beautifal work! I love the grain and patterns to the wood. I have a friend who works with black walnut and some of his pieces are just amazing to look at.

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #13

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Beautiful and Great work! Hallowed things are hard to do glad you got the good tools to do it with.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote