Your all time favorite vehicle??? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #41

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just for Donna, my first car was a '68 Ford Mustang 289 and auto. There have been a few favorites through the years but the all time favorite is my Lotus Elise.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-Nzf3g/i-vQJKpNn/A

This photo was taken about two weeks before the last shuttle flight. And Steve is not joking about being able to feel the stripes painted on the road when you cross over them.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:40 PM   #42

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My first car was a red '73 Chevy Vega. And no, I don't want it back. But I recall my dad saying that the motor mounts would take just about any GM engine that would fit in there. Lots of potential. The stock engine, though, was a piece of junk aluminum.

We had a '89 Plymouth Grand Voyager that I enjoyed greatly. It rode nice and the seat was comfy, and we took some nice family trips in it. But it sure needed a lot of repairs by today's standards; the fuel pump and alternator were like clockwork for breakdowns.

Nope, I wouldn't want to trade any of those other vehicles I've owned for the one I have right now. This Highlander has been the most reliable and best riding vehicle I've ever had.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #43

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
My Mini Cooper!!!!
The original style!
Could not pull our Scamp however...

BatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #44

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Your all time favorite vehicle???

I'll probably be laughed off the board for saying it, but the best vehicle I've ever owned was a 2000 Toyota Sienna. Comfortable, versatile, simple, economical, and rock-solid reliable. Spark plugs and timing belt at 100K, front brake pads at 160K, and the usual fluids, tires, and batteries- that's it in 12 years of ownership. Okay... It doesn't make the pulse race...

Worst vehicle? 1985 Ford Ranger. My first brand new vehicle. Burned a quart of oil every 900 miles from new. Ford said that was "within normal range." Sold it after 2 years, and I saw it often around town spewing blue smoke. Now that vehicle got my pulse racing!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Favorite car

One's first car always has to be near the top.

Mine was a 1959 Triumph Estate Wagon which I won through a local radio station, WOKY in Milwaukee. "Wow, it's the most to say the least."

The first car I bought also is near the top, a 1962 Studebaker Lark 2 door. One could wear a hat in that car there was so much headroom.

My 1970 Toyota Crown station wagon was a great family car.

Our 1977 Jeep Cherokee had a low gear that could pull stumps.

A little later was my 1981 Fiat Spyder. Once one got over the idiosyncracies of an Italian car...

Then there was the 1991 Plymouth Laser. If only the dealer hadn't ruined it...

My 2001 Volkswagen Golf was a well designed car ruined by being built in Brazil.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:03 PM   #46

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
My first certainly was not my favourite a 1967 Rover TC2000 was always repairing twice it stuck in gear first time was in reverse and my girlfriend (now wife of 40 years) and I backed to her home and got strange looks from her dad!

My second was the best one I consider I stole from my cousin with only 22000 miles for 2g in 1973, a 1969 Cutlass S 350, great car kept for 14 years it brought all three kids home from the hospital, few repairs and sold it for $500!

Thanks Wayne for starting this, interesting reading.
Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Our 1977 Jeep Cherokee had a low gear that could pull stumps.
Not sure what year my Jeep Cherokee Chief was. I do recall it was huge and got about six miles per gallon.
And, I did pull a stump with it. Tied a nylon anchor line around the hitch ball and then around the stump. For those who don't boat, nylon is used because it is elastic.
The stump finally came free and I watched it in the rear-view mirror as it fired through the air and hit the back window.
Luckily, it didn't break the window, but I had to cut the rope off the hitch and the stump, it was knotted so tight.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #48

Name: Bobby
Trailer: Trillium 4500, Casita f/d ,1987 boler voyageur,1988bigfoot5er
Ontario
I had lots of favs , but the one I want back now was my 68 t-bird. Room enough to get a good sleep across the backseat. Too bad the trunk rusted out and left ever thing in it deposited along the highway somewhere.
Bobby
Bobby Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:50 PM   #49

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Favorite vehicle

I always liked vans the best and my first one which was a 1962 VW van that I bought used in 1973 was my favorite.
Attached Thumbnails
File0001 (2).jpg  
Old 01-13-2015, 10:15 PM   #50

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Favourite vehicle?- I'd go back to my 1932 Model 'B' Ford coupe; last of the 4-bangers. It sure caught the public eye when I used it in the mid-50's. But, the 'missus' and I had more camping fun with the 1961 Ford Econoline window van; ... and, she still agrees with me on that choice. And then there was that neat AMC Spirit coupe .... hmmmm !!!
Thanks, MC1, for this memory jab.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:20 PM   #51

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
All these mini's bring back memories, had 2 Austin Americas and a mini as well as a 1966 Ford Cortina MK1 . Me and Lucas smoke go back a long ways. The best car I have owner is a lowly 1996 Hyundai Elantra wagon. The thing just would not die, sold it at 290k, have bought 2 more elantra's since.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:05 AM   #52

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Favorite cars

What a trip down Memory Lane! Don't we love our rides?

Donna, I also owned a 1967 Mustang Fastback, 289. It was an automatic, since I was only 18 & hadn't learned to drive a stick-shift yet. It was my baby, & I'm certain the only reason my (now ex-) husband married me was because of that car. (I worried about whether I'd be able to keep up with the payments -- $53 a month; sale price was $2,800 brand new. I had a big party when it was paid off.)

Gotta' say, though, that of all the vehicles I've owned, my present one is the absolute best. My 1995 Jeep is the most reliable rig I've ever had. It just turned over 240,000 miles & still has the original tranny & engine, & I've not touched either one. The only "recurring" mechanical fix has been 2 starters -- 1 every 100,000 miles. The 4x4 comes in handy, too, since I like to explore old logging roads around where I live (haven't gotten stuck yet!).

My Dad taught us kids to take care of our stuff. It's paid off with this vehicle; I've babied it since brand new & it's been uber-reliable. I've told my son I want to be buried in it.
Attached Thumbnails
67 Mustang Fastback.jpg   2011-09-21 14.28.57.jpg  

Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:51 AM   #53

Name: Felix47
Trailer: casita
California
First Car?

1951 MGTD.......250 dollars....black and I think it said it was made in Abington England....took another 250 to do an engine transplant from a TF. Everything was Whitworth sized.......had the thing in pieces on the garage floor for a long time until my mother had enough and I did the transplant....Long gone.....I guess they are museum pieces of early 20th century technology......I don't think it had synchro in 2, 3 or 4th......as I recall.......I am not sure if it had synchro in 1st, come to think of it.
Felix47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:54 AM   #54

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
I always liked vans the best and my first one which was a 1962 VW van that I bought used in 1973 was my favorite.
Sweet! Those old VW vans are worth more nowadays than my first new home.

I owned a 1981 Westfalia that I had a love/hate relationship with. Loved the freedom to jump in & take off for who-knows-where on a moment's notice. But, the previous owner hadn't taken care of it. When it got to the point where I made it back home on the back of a tow truck more often than not, I sold it. The fella' who bought it from me had the $$ to completely restore it, & it lives in Southern California now. I still miss it.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:07 AM   #55

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
...Me and Lucas smoke go back a long ways...
Ooh. Lucas jokes. The Lotus needed a balance resistor to run and they'd fail regularly. I could swap it out in about a minute on the side of the road. I never went anywhere without two spares. What fun is a trip if you're guaranteed to get there? My BSA has a positive ground. Those wacky Brits!

The three position light switch: Dim, Flicker and off. If Britian "rules the waves", why can't they make a car that'll cross a puddle? Etc.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:30 AM   #56

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
The Lucas motto: "Get Home Before Dark." and many more found here.

lucas electric jokes

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #57

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Shortly before I got married, I bought a new '71 Triumph GT6. I loved that car, but it was a typical electrical nightmare. I needed a more "responsible" car for my new bride, so I sold it just before it went out of warranty. This isn't mine, but looked just like it. Still miss that car... Tom
Attached Thumbnails
1971 Triumph GT6 MK3 sport coupe 4.jpg  
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:31 AM   #58
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
My Mini Cooper!!!!
The original style!
Could not pull our Scamp however...

BD.... luv your Cooper. I had two Mini's, a 67, and a 72. Just luved them. I had the pleasure of driving a couple 1275cc Cooper S's back in the day and would dream of owning one, but just a shade out of my price bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Ooh. Lucas jokes. Those wacky Brits!
, why can't they make a car that'll cross a puddle? Etc.
LOL, on the Mini's they placed the distributor right up front just behind the grill with no shield from the elements. Of course the rain and wet would get all over the distributor and the car would die, usually in the middle of a thunderstorm. What were those Brits thinking???
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #59

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Easy to answer since every car I've owned was practical and economical; not fun. Except for one; my 1965 Sunbeam Tiger, Mark I, British Racing Green, powered by a Ford 289. Its been a project sitting the garage for more than 30 years, but now is at a restoration shop being totally rebuilt. Photos will be posted when it's done. For those now aware of the Rootes story here is a Youtube link.

sunbeam tiger - Bing Videos
Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #60

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
In 1977, I bought a 1967 Dodge Monaco 500 2-dr with 383 cu-inch engine. Was a great ride but the gas consumption was very high. Sold it shortly thereafter and bought a low mileage Honda CVCC (1976). Loved that car but eventually sold it for a motorbike. These are not actual images of my cars, but very close in color and appearance.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote