Does anyone have a solar panel I can borrow? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Does anyone have a solar panel I can borrow and use as a workshop/forum demo unit on Friday and Saturday? Fredrick, can I borrow one of your Amorphous Deposition panels from Harbor Freight? Steve & Jeanne, can I borrow your crystalline panel (polycrystalline if I remember right)?

Please PM me . . .

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Fredrick, can I borrow one of your Amorphous Deposition panels from Harbor Freight?
I'll bring them.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar_1.jpg   Solar_11.jpg  

Solar_12.jpg  
Old 07-13-2009, 12:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Thank you Steve & Frederick, who will let me borrow their solar panels!
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
This subject reminds me of my first solar panel. It was about 8" x 14" or so and was called a "battery maintainer" and worked like a charm. I was at Death Valley one time, set up the small panel, aimed at the sun and before I knew it a lady from across the road at a camp with a very large RV came over and wondered that in the world that thing was that I just set up? When I told her she just sort of shook her head and walked back to their camp. Guess she really didn't understand the contraption. It had small clamps on the end of the wires to clamp directly to the battery. This must have been about twenty years ago when I had my first Scamp. Marg
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg View Post
........ This must have been about twenty years ago when I had my first Scamp. Marg
Ironically, every UHaul came with its own photon interceptor when they were built in the mid 80's. Musta cost an arm and a leg back then.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg View Post
I was at Death Valley one time, set up the small panel, aimed at the sun and before I knew it a lady from across the road at a camp with a very large RV came over and wondered that in the world that thing was that I just set up? When I told her she just sort of shook her head and walked back to their camp. Guess she really didn't understand the contraption. Marg
Marg, I had a similar situation a few years back at one of my fav camping spots in Washington but the end result was more positive. I also have a small 15 watt panel I put out on my rock guard that on a sunny day will recharge my battery well and its all I need every couple of days for my power usage. A fellow with a big bus rv who was using a generator for his power needs came over and started to ask me what it was and how it worked. The following year I returned to that campground and he was again there. The first thing he did was invite me over to see the most elaboration (and no doubt expensive) solar system I had ever seen at the time that he had installed on the roof of his RV. He told me he was so glad he no longer needed to pack the generator and extra gas cans.

Luv Death Valley but it is still unfortunately over run with generators IMHO... with many of them on timers that start up at 7AM and shut off at 8PM everyday - even when no one is there to use the power! gurrrrr
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2009 oregon gathering, solar, solar panel