Staying Connected - While at Bullard's - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2008, 04:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
While at the Oregon Gathering, I will absolutely need to stay connected with the outside world. I know there's "Brewed Awakenings," or whatever it's called now in downtown Bandon for wireless. But, I'd rather be in the trailer enjoying my own coffee.

For those that have used air cards, etc. What "brand" did you use, did it get a strong single and was it dependable???

Thanks for the input everyone!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I used a Verozon card and had sometimes excellent signal.. other times.. not so much.

My blackberry last year was a nextel, and the email came through, but the phone and internet was nil.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I used a Sprint air card last year and got a pretty good and consistent signal. My Sprint phone also gets a good signal there. I don't know what I'm going to use this year.

Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Donna,
I am here right now using my Alltel EVDO aircard and it has been working just fine. Only getting 2 bars most of the time but has worked fine for several days now and has never dropped a signal once connected. Whatever aircard you decide on just be sure it has the latest PRL update in it. The PRL tells the card (and cell phones too) what roaming companies/towers that it can connect to (the ones that aircard company has roaming agreements with). If you go with Alltel the latest is 40036. Your best bet is probably to go with your current cell phone company. The ones I know work here are Verizon, Sprint and Alltel.
Gene
Gene L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I used a verizon card last year and the verizon people said they have updated their towers and it should be broadband service near Coos Bay this year. We will see.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #6

Thanks Gene. The company has loaned me an AT&T (Cingular) aircard, since it's paid for I thought I should at least try it. If it doesn't work, I'll make a trip to Coos Bay/North Bend and buy one of the other brands. The IT guy at work told me the AT&T card should work just fine in Bandon

So, I was hoping someone was using an AT&T aircard and could report their findings. Anyone?
Old 07-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #7

Have to go to Plan B, the slot for the aircard isn't working, for whatever reason (I know it's not the aircard, checked that out on another laptop). So, does anyone know if Brewed Awakening is still there in Bandon and offering free Wi-Fi (with coffee purchase), or maybe a different internet cafe?? I'm going to be in the grease if I can't connect somewhere, somehow.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Have to go to Plan B, the slot for the aircard isn't working, for whatever reason (I know it's not the aircard, checked that out on another laptop). So, does anyone know if Brewed Awakening is still there in Bandon and offering free Wi-Fi (with coffee purchase), or maybe a different internet cafe?? I'm going to be in the grease if I can't connect somewhere, somehow.
Donna, I'm not sure how much you need to be online while you are there but if it's just to check in, you can use my Sprint aircard.

Nancy
Old 07-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #9

Thanks for the offer Nancy. It's not the aircard, the one I have works... not on my PC.... it's the port. I've never used it and somehow it's that piece of hardware that's "broken."

Sigh.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the offer Nancy. It's not the aircard, the one I have works... not on my PC.... it's the port. I've never used it and somehow it's that piece of hardware that's "broken."

Sigh.
My aircard came with a little insert that some computers need. (Maybe yours needs that insert?) But you are welcome to use the computer, too. You can just put anything you need on a jump drive to upload or download.

Nancy

Tags
2008 oregon gathering