05 crv towing information! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2018, 06:20 PM   #21

Name: Shannon
Trailer: In the market
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post

As to the hitch, there is one ready made that will bolt right in. That was a relatively easy installation. You can get them from Uhaul. Nicely made and very strong. Absolutely no modification needed it fits right into the holes in the car. They will install it but it is not a difficult job for DIY. I ordered one from Etrailer and when I opened the box it had the Uhaul label on it. Price is reasonable from Uhaul.

So I have purchased the tow hitch from etrailer but am a bit confused as to what to do about the proper fitting ball mount and kit. I have yet to buy a trailer to pull but have found some very promising options, either an older 13’ scamp or a similar older trails west camper (I’m loving the idea of having a pop up!) should I simply purchase one that has multiple size ball mounts? I know the older scamps have a 1 7/8” ball so wouldnt want to go with a 2” obviously. Does anyone have a specific part off etrailer that they would recommend? The tow package I ordered is the Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" - # 75690
Shboes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shboes View Post
So I have purchased the tow hitch from etrailer but am a bit confused as to what to do about the proper fitting ball mount and kit. I have yet to buy a trailer to pull but have found some very promising options, either an older 13’ scamp or a similar older trails west camper (I’m loving the idea of having a pop up!) should I simply purchase one that has multiple size ball mounts? I know the older scamps have a 1 7/8” ball so wouldnt want to go with a 2” obviously. Does anyone have a specific part off etrailer that they would recommend? The tow package I ordered is the Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" - # 75690
Wait until you find the trailer and get whichever you need for it a a local auto parts or even Wal-Mart. The hitch itself my have to go up or down to tow level. If you installed a receiver hitch, then finding the right hitch and ball is easy.

We use a hitch that rises a little on our CRV to make the utility tow level. I would not tow the Campster behind our 2012 CRV because it's weight exceeds the listed capacity. That's not say you can't find a Campster that will work. Ours has gained weight over the last 48 years. You just need to be careful about advertised weight versus real weight with supplies.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:58 PM   #23

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Re: heat. Someone awhile back was trying to do this at Mammoth? Or somewhere near there. Anyway, keeping warm was an issue. Google search something like mammoth or bishop and trailer and heat and see if it comes up.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:50 PM   #24

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
Wait until you find the trailer and get whichever you need for it a a local auto parts or even Wal-Mart. The hitch itself my have to go up or down to tow level. If you installed a receiver hitch, then finding the right hitch and ball is easy.

We use a hitch that rises a little on our CRV to make the utility tow level. I would not tow the Campster behind our 2012 CRV because it's weight exceeds the listed capacity. That's not say you can't find a Campster that will work. Ours has gained weight over the last 48 years. You just need to be careful about advertised weight versus real weight with supplies.
If you want to have a lightweight Campster put all of those 3/4" thick plywood cabinets, partitions and boards from under the mattress into the dumpster and build some lightweight cabinetry. The weight of 3/4" plywood is about 70 lbs for a 4' x 8' sheet.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:06 PM   #25

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shboes View Post
I have been considering installing a small wood pellet stove as my heat source for efficiency purposes. However there are options up in the air for storing my food on warm days. In the winter nights can get down to single digits but remain around freezing during the day. I am considering a simple cooler with ice for when the temperatures rise as ice is accessible at a gas station down the road from where I’m planning on parking in November-April
Pellet stoves are too heavy for a tiny trailer and that fuel is bulky and heavy too.

You are better off with a direct vent propane or diesel heater.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote