10 Things Every Fiberglass RV Owners Should Know. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #21

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
If your in question about something have somone you know look at it, double check the ball connection to make shure it is on right.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Jude. My tip is to tell you to have FUN. You can get all tangled up with modifications and interior themes and buying and fretting. As long as your trailer is safe to go down the road and it's clean (your dirt is cleaner than their dirt) you can always consider it a hardsided tent... just get out and enjoy it and make memories! It doesn't have to be perfect, just perfect for you.

Safe travels
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #23

Name: Judy
Trailer: 2000 16' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to highrez
I made very detailed step-by-step checklists. One for getting ready to tow, one for setting up at a campsite, one for leaving a campsite, and one arriving at home. As long as I carefully check the checklist everything goes very smoothly. If you would like a copy of my checklists I will be happy to send email it to you. Also, there are other checklists posted on the forums. You can start with a list and personalize it to make it work for you.

Judy
highrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #24

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
When I was hooking up after a large family campout, I had at least 10 people helping. 100 yards later the hitch popped up off the ball and there was a lot of excitement.

Also, when backing in you'll sometimes find helpful folk who want to guide you into your spot. Ignore them.

(Lesson: Check out your hook up yourself, even if that means you hurt someone’s feelings.)

Ron
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #25

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Often the latches are not secure by themselves on the very bumpy road. In addition to closing all doors, icebox/fridge, etc. make sure they are secured by anchoring to stationary anchors with bungee cords.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #26

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Arrival and departure (mostly especially dragging up and departing): Have a checklist for both. If you have a mate (wife, child, uncle or other) divide up the chores. One person is house captain; other (usually the driver) handles the outside chores. Have two checklists. It doesn't matter much if you follow the checklist while you're doing your chores. But it does matter to have the other guy check the checklist to check that you did them. So the driver checks out that the interior is secured, turned off, closed; the inside man checks that everything outside needing unhooking or hooking up is indeed just that. This doesn't mean asking your wife if she closed a vent, retracted the doorstep, or locked the door. It means personal, sensory confirmation. And don't try to do two things at once; don't get distracted; finish what you start. For a very good example that no one ever mentions, a tongue jack half retracted will stop your progress in 10 feet if you notice the screech. If you don't you'll just put off your ojt in coldsetting steel until you arrive home or the next checkpoint. Two pairs of eyes are better than one set but they have to be used.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
First- Thanks for this thread, Jude! And welcome to FGRV!
Second - Thanks everybody for the fine ideas.

I like the idea of checklists and each person checking the other persons job with the checklist (in hand). That should keep fellings from getting hurt.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
When hooking up, check it an extra time to make sure you did everything (socket is indeed all the way down on the ball, securing the tongue to the ball, attaching the wiring harness & chains). Failure to hook up properly is one of the most common errors.

The departure checklist is vital. Add to the list:
remove wheel chocks
close windows
raise or remove all support jacks
close roof vents

When backing up, for the first 100 times or so always have your partner get out and stand back there to look for obstacles and to guide you.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #29

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Welcome Ceilityme
You'll find lot of good suggestion on this site.
Be sure to first take you trailer manual and walk thru all the instructions, this helps to familurize you with your new (tent) FG
you'll enjoy your camping a lot more. Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #30

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi jude---i am back again! another hint i would add is for you to check out one of the rallies held all over the continent.....you'll meet many new friends with copious info to share .... plus you'll have a great time.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #31

Name: Jude
Trailer: 1973 Honey Boler...
Alberta
HighRez, from one Jude to a Judy, I would absolutely love to have a copy of your lists. I think it's a brilliant idea to not only have the lists, but assign people TO FOLLOW the lists. I'm not normally a list person, but in they can be lifesavers in certain circumstances. Thanks.
ceilityme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #32

Alberta
theresa, that is a great idea. I'm hoping my boler will be camping ready, not perfect... to be able to attend a local.
I'm really looking forward to meeting people that seem to suffer my affliction. ;-)
Old 03-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #33

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
When hooking up, check it an extra time to make sure you did everything (socket is indeed all the way down on the ball, securing the tongue to the ball, attaching the wiring harness & chains). Failure to hook up properly is one of the most common errors.

The departure checklist is vital. Add to the list:
remove wheel chocks
close windows
raise or remove all support jacks
close roof vents

When backing up, for the first 100 times or so always have your partner get out and stand back there to look for obstacles and to guide you.
As Norm posted earlier, even an experienced camper can have a disconnect. Now after hooking up he raises the trailer via the jack to where the tow vehicle starts to rise, this insures that the hook up is solid. Just something to remember.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #34

Alberta
cp, the day we bought the trailer, on a sunday 300 km from home, we realized that the hitch coupler was missing the pin. Yikes. So, we drove home, slowly, carefully, and just as we hit the city limits and fresh road construction, 10 k from the house, you guess it, she jumped.. Damn! Sparks flew, and the propane tank cut a nice peach sized hole in the front. Thank god, the one and only chain held. So, from day one of being an RV owner, I learned my lesson.
Since I'm doing the repair work, I'm really hoping I've learned my lesson the hard way and that there will be no repeats...
Old 03-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #35

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
play hard,eat hardy, sleep well, and if it ain't broke,,,,don't fix it.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #36

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren
...and if it ain't broke,,,,don't fix it.

Oh boy I wish we were better at this part. Dan and I always get ideas and dive in. We have so many irons in the fire right now. Had the Scamp for barely 2 weeks, have yet to camp, and we decided a front dinette was the way to go. We've already taken the power tools to the front bench, replaced the 12v outlet in the kitchen, replaced the 30 amp plug, and bought a new 7 wire plug. Also working on all LED lights, reinstalling the fresh water system (was removed by the previous owner), refurbishing the stove, changing the hand pump faucet, rewiring 12v system, and ordering a gray water tank this week. I bought dishes and storage containers from packing lists that others posted, and am working on how to organize stuff (which I'm sure will change with the first actual trip at the end of March)....sigh.
Newfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #37

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfang View Post
I bought dishes and storage containers from packing lists that others posted, and am working on how to organize stuff (which I'm sure will change with the first actual trip at the end of March)....sigh.
Sandy I dont think the only time you will change your storage will be after your first trip. After attending a fiberglass rally or seeing ideas for storage people post here I often end up changing my storage. With use and time I have also moved or totally removed more than a few items from my trailer. After using the trailer over 75 nights just last year I have to admit though that there are still a few items in it that could go without being greatly missed. Just cant get my head around not having matching place settings and wine glasses and water goblets and serving platters on hand to host a dinner party for 6 for the occasional impromptu dinner party.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool

Look on your trailer hitch. It should say the size of the ball it needs. Do not use a 1-7/8" ball if it requires a 2". It will work for awhile, but then you cross a railroad track or something similar and the hitch can jump right off the ball.

This happened to me. I had two different trailers needing the different size balls and forgot to change the ball. Luckily the safety chain held, but the tail gate of the Jeep got a few interesting dents. Also luckily I wasn't going too fast.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #39

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Hey Roger
Know whst you mean.
Good idea when your running two diff trailers w/diff balls is to have a slide out for car which you can install a 1 7/8 & a 2" flip style, also reminds you to check "what's up".
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #40

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Tip #92 (?) Get a Whistle
Give your outside navigator a really loud whistle to blow meaning "STOP". It's sometimes hard to always see someone giving hand signals, especially when they move out of view, but your ears work all the time...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote