13' trailer in Utah? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #1

Name: Ashley
Trailer: 1986 Uhaul CT
Utah
13' trailer in Utah?

I have found a recent love (obsession?? ) for the 13' fiberglass trailers, especially the Scamp and all others of the same shape/design. I have been glued to my computer the last week or so, and have had no luck locating one for sale nearby. I am very seriously considering making a road trip to purchase one someday soon.

Before I do that, I wanted to check if there was anyone close by who had one and wouldn't mind meeting up so my husband and I could see them in person before traveling 10+ hrs. We live in Utah County (about an hour south of Salt Lake) and would be willing to travel to you.

Also, is there a time of year that is better to purchase one of these? Do people usually list them for sale more in the summer? Or is that when they hold on to them for one last season of use before selling them in the fall... Sorry for all of the questions!

Thank you for your help! This forum seems like a great resource and I look forward to (hopefully sooner than later) joining the actual OWNERS club
Tuanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #2

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Ashley,
Welcome! I'm in Grand Junction CO. and if you are heading this way I would love to show you my UHaul. Hope there is another FGRV owner closer to you so you don't have to take such a long drive. You would be welcome anytime.
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Welcome aboard, Ashley.

Best of luck to you in finding your dream trailer. The 13 footers are definitely the cutest of all the moulded fiberglass trailers.

There are many bought and sold. You may have to travel a bit, but if you wait it out, you will find one. This is pretty much the best time of year to buy, as the deals are better, but there are less of them on the market. Spring and fall see more activity, especially around here, where folks have either bought something else and need to sell, or at the end of summer when they just don't want to store it if they plan to now sell it anyway.

BTW, and way off topic, I am wearing a shirt right now I bought in Orem a few months ago.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Ashley, Welcome, glad you joined us.

I have seen some cute lil glass being sold in the Utah area, but it's been awhile. Winter isn't usually a big selling time, fall tends to be becauase people realize they don't want pay storage fees for something they aren't gonna be using. But that doesn't mean one won't pop up for sale during the winter. Spring is pretty good time too. If you find something for sale in the Northern CO area, I would be willing to go and check it out for you and give you my opinion before you drive out here. Might know of someone in the Denver area who could do the same for you. Just Pm me if you come up with something you wanted checked out.

Just a lil FYI, a week or so isn't a long time to be searching. There are many people who search years for their perfect trailer. So hang in there. I will tell you, Utah and CO aren't hot beds of small molded fiberglass travel trailers. UT and CO are out door mecca's and people tend to have big rv's or mega travel trailers, etc. So the search is a little harder, but not impossible. So keep your eye out on craigslist, the forum for sale and referral forums. Also if your on FB, join the molded fiberglass groups and watch for something to come up. Good Luck in your search. It really can be frustrating, but fun as well.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Smile Welcome!

Good luck with your trailer search. Enjoy the pursuit - the wait will be worth it!

You can use sites like SearchTempest Online Classifieds Search - All the Classifieds. One Search. to do regional Craigslist searches.

Regards,

Matt
Old 01-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Keep an eye on KSL.org. Scamps seem to pop up on there regularly. I'd be happy to show you my 16', but it's based in CA. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #7

Utah
Wow, thank you everyone for your help and generous offers! I'll keep those in mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Just a lil FYI, a week or so isn't a long time to be searching. There are many people who search years for their perfect trailer. So hang in there.
Yeah, I gathered that based on some of the reading I had done. I'm enjoying the search already, but I think I'm driving my husband crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
BTW, and way off topic, I am wearing a shirt right now I bought in Orem a few months ago.
Nice! Hope you enjoyed your travels through the area.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Ashley, to FiberglassRV!

I'd also suggest keeping an eye out on: http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/ use the pull-downs at the top to filter by brand.

Best of luck in your egg hunt
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Ashley, Welcome and happy hunting to you! I understand that Scamp has a list of owners throughout the US who are willing to give tours of their rigs. Try calling the Scamp factory and asking if there is an owner in your area.

Here's the Scamp website. Scamp Travel Trailers: Small Lightweight Campers, Easily Towable
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
[QUOTE=Tuanis;354056]

Yeah, I gathered that based on some of the reading I had done. I'm enjoying the search already, but I think I'm driving my husband crazy

QUOTE]

Your just keeping him on his toes!

Casita also has a program where they will hook you up with owners in your area to look at their trailers, in hopes you will purchase a new one. But many owners are very nice and will gladly give you a tour.
Gives you a chance to see the quality of their product and layouts. Though, a 13ft'ers don't have a lot of layout options they do have different finish options etc.

And don't be afraid to knock on doors if you see a glass trailer sitting in a feild, driveway, back yard. You just never know when someone will say, I have been thinking about selling! Again, Good luck and enjoy the search!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #11

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuanis View Post

And don't be afraid to knock on doors if you see a glass trailer sitting in a feild, driveway, back yard. You just never know when someone will say, I have been thinking about selling! Again, Good luck and enjoy the search!
That's what I'm kind of hoping will happen. But to be honest, I don't think I've ever even seen one in person.. My family goes tent camping a lot, and I'm pretty sure it would have caught my eye if there was one in the campground, but I can't recall. I've been keeping my eyes peeled recently though!

I'll have to give both of those companies a call next week to see who's in the area. Thanks for the recommendations!