1976 trillium no lights - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
You never answered my question about the furnace working and what if anything that has to do with this. If as you seem to imply it uses 12v power and is working on shorepower then it seems to me the converter is doing its job.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #22

Registry
p.s. To upload a picture from your own stash, go to "advanced" and click on the paper clip icon in the top row of the tool bar there. A box will open up allowing you to choose from your own files.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #23

Name: Jamie
Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland
76 trillium

I have an electric furnace which is not wired to 12 v power. I tried install a 30 a 12 v fusebreaker with no luck. Help
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #24

Registry
Do the lights work if you switch to battery power alone?
Old 10-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #25
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Oh, nothing serious really unless one considers the fact that they only work about half the time "serious"
He did a simple switchout, nothing involved but swapping the new lights in exactly the same positions and using original wiring that was very efficiently keeping the old lights lit. Trouble started the first time I was out with them, sometimes they came on fine and sometimes not. And sometimes they came on for a while THEN winked out. Completely unpredictable, and defiant of most attempts to identify the problem. At some point hubs dug deep into the trailer and announced he'd found the problem which IIRC he claims was a connection made at the factory some place near the fridge. OoooooKAY! Or so we thought lol the problems still there though perhaps a little less frequent. During my most recent 3k mile excursion a new theory developed, that being that screwing down REAL HARD on the ground connection at the battery would solve the problem and guess what? Sometimes it actually worked. I myself believe that to be solely due to divine intervention brought on by my muttered threats of murder against my poor husband for the dastardly act of taking my good old incandescents out to begin with

Greetings Pilgrim. Delighted to have you back. Just a shot in the dark, any chance hubby bought cheap leds like on eBay etc. Leds require biasing, that is, circuits to work. The simplest is a current limiting resistor. Problem is if the voltage rises from the designed 12 volts to say 14 volts the resistor will cook giving off nasty smells and such. The higher priced devices can handle the larger voltage variations. I buy my leds from these guys.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

What they sell ain't cheap but is top self . Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Greetings Pilgrim. Delighted to have you back. Just a shot in the dark, any chance hubby bought cheap leds like on eBay etc. Leds require biasing, that is, circuits to work. The simplest is a current limiting resistor. Problem is if the voltage rises from the designed 12 volts to say 14 volts the resistor will cook giving off nasty smells and such. The higher priced devices can handle the larger voltage variations. I buy my leds from these guys.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

What they sell ain't cheap but is top self . Raz
Hi Raz, lol @ "pilgrim".
He bought the lights for my birthday and after carefully researching themlike the engineer that he is. (His specialty since he retired from the real world seems to be solving problems that don't exist lol as he did in this case) I understood practically nothing of what you just told me, my takeaway from all this so far is that LED's are a lil too fussy for my taste. Lights is the only thing I use power for in the trailer and all I want from them is that they come on when I hit the switch. Which the old lights did for 40 years. Can they share a circuit with an incandescent btw? My porch light remains original and one of the times everything went out happened when I turned it on while an LED was lit too
Old 10-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
you can mix and match, they are all wired in parallel
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #28
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi Raz, lol @ "pilgrim".
He bought the lights for my birthday and after carefully researching themlike the engineer that he is. (His specialty since he retired from the real world seems to be solving problems that don't exist lol as he did in this case) I understood practically nothing of what you just told me, my takeaway from all this so far is that LED's are a lil too fussy for my taste. Lights is the only thing I use power for in the trailer and all I want from them is that they come on when I hit the switch. Which the old lights did for 40 years. Can they share a circuit with an incandescent btw? My porch light remains original and one of the times everything went out happened when I turned it on while an LED was lit too
Being one smart cookie I'm sure you realize leds are more efficient and thus extend battery life. If the issue occurs when not plugged in, I would suspect cheap leds. If it occurs when plugged in, then it's most likely the converter. While good power supplies were certainly available back in the 70's, they weren't installed in rv's. If all you use power for is lights, the incandescents will use about five times more power. Plan accordingly. Then again since hubby "caused" this dilemma perhaps he should upgrade the converter .
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #29

Registry
[QUOTE=Raz;721276 since hubby "caused" this dilemma perhaps he should upgrade the converter . [/QUOTE]
Or I could upgrade the husband, I get offers ALL the time
Meanwhile, the OP here evidently STILL has no lights and may in fact have given up on us. I didn't mean to hijack this thread with my own problems... when the time is right, hubs is around, and I can properly focus on this particular problem I'll start a new thread and hope you guys will weigh in. Thanks to all in the meantime
Old 10-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
its more like 20X more power with current LEDs. a 3W LED can put out as much light as a 60W light bulb.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, trillium