1979 Beachcomber, Sydney, Nova Scotia - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Beachcomber
Nova Scotia
1979 Beachcomber, Sydney, Nova Scotia

New owner of a 1979 Beachcomber RV located in Sydney, NS. Fibreglass is generally in good shape; however, just finished installing a new floor. Other improvements include new wall board, cushions and ceiling.
Attached Images

CapeBreton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:21 AM   #2

Name: Chris
Nova Scotia
Registry
Excellent. We live down by New Glasgow and slowly are refinishing ours too!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
rambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #3

Nova Scotia
Hi

Nice to hear that there is another one not far away. Based on researching the internet, the Beachcomber seems to be fairly rare....definitely a lot more Boler types out there. I bought mine just outside Antigonish last month and the owner indicated it was originally from the New Glasgow area. Unfortunately, it needed a bit more work than I originally anticipated....the biggest issue being the floor which was a challenge to get out and put back in. I was successful in keeping most of the console with the furnace, refrigerator and sink intact. Just put the front and back benches in last night and basically have some vinyl flooring, finishing and ceiling left. It should be ready for camping by mid month. It looks like you did a complete reno on yours. Have you needed to source parts? Although it still works, mine could use a new hinge but they definitely don't look like anything I have ever seen before.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #4

Nova Scotia
Registry
Finding parts is a challenge. The most luck I've had is to use the online parts warehouses. And best of all, there's very few of them in Canada. I just google rv parts Canada and search their sites. eBay... Amazon... And even sometimes kijij. I've bought parts from everywhere. And, I've always had to make something fit. For door hinges try vintagetrailersupply.com I don't know what their shipping is like, but I have seen hinges on their sites.

Our trailer had basically rotted from the inside so doing a complete rebuild was a must. I've been working on it for three years now. Slowly doing different parts every year. This year is the year for paint. I can't wait to actually make it look new again.

Sounds like you've got to experience tearing the floor out of the trailer like most of us here have.

If there's any questions you have, feel free to ask, there's a few of us who have been through the same thing.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #5

Nova Scotia
Thanks for the information. I will definitely try the website you referenced. I look forward to seeing yours after you paint it. I am also trying to decide whether to paint or try to match the original strips. That will likely be a year away. Appreciate your offer to provide advice...I am sure I will have more questions!
Old 06-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #6

Nova Scotia
Registry
Actually, since it looks like you've still got the original decals on your trailer, would you mind taking a picture of the beachcomber decal on the front and sending it to me? I'm trying to make a copy of it, but the previous owner of my trailer painted it with house paint? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1467222076.310680.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	96855

Old 06-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #7

Nova Scotia
The previous owner also painted over the original decal on mine; however, they may have kept the letters more original than yours. I will take a picture this evening of what is left and send it to you tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #8

Name: JIM
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1975
Nova Scotia
Beachcomber

Hi guys, Read your posts and I have to jump in. I also have a Beachcomber 15ft. 1979 that I have just bought this month and live in Liverpool Nova Scotia. I,m in the middle of renovating a 1975 Trillium. When I finish it I will move on to the Beachcomber. Are you guys going up to Fox Mountain on July 15th to July 17th. weekend get together? I plan to attend with a tent as my trailers are not ready yet. Hope to get ideas from other vintage trailers. I believe there will be over 100 coming. Jim
sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #9

Nova Scotia
Registry
I was hoping to go but it looks like the trailer will be getting painted that week. If I get it back I may try to go but most likely not. I will have to play it by ear. Glad to hear there's a few beachcombers in NS.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #10

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeBreton View Post
The previous owner also painted over the original decal on mine; however, they may have kept the letters more original than yours. I will take a picture this evening of what is left and send it to you tomorrow.

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing it.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #11

Nova Scotia
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1467243073.284195.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	96885
The font is not quite right, but it's getting close.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:06 AM   #12

Nova Scotia
Beachcomber Decals

Attached are some of the Beachcomber logos that were painted over by the previous owner. The decal itself is still present but is just painted over.

Quote:
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2016, 07:10 AM   #13

Nova Scotia
Sounds like a fun event but not sure if mine will be ready by then. It would be neat to eventually see all three of these together someday!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:25 AM   #14

Name: Anne-Marie
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer View Post
Hi guys, Read your posts and I have to jump in. I also have a Beachcomber 15ft. 1979 that I have just bought this month and live in Liverpool Nova Scotia. I,m in the middle of renovating a 1975 Trillium. Are you guys going up to Fox Mountain on July 15th to July 17th. weekend get together? I plan to attend with a tent as my trailers are not ready yet. Hope to get ideas from other vintage trailers. I believe there will be over 100 coming. Jim
Interesting...my husband and I will be in NS on our motorcycles that weekend. We have a 77 Trillium 1300 we are just starting to do some work on and would like to see what others have done to their vintage trailers. Where is this Fox Mountain gathering you speak of? Maybe it would work into our itinerary, if non trailering folks are welcome to drop by and look.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #15

Ontario
The Beachcomber looks like a roomy, cute little trailer. Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:53 AM   #16

Nova Scotia
thanks!
Old 06-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #17

Name: JIM
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1975
Nova Scotia
Fox Mountain

Get together is at Fox Mountain Campground in Aylesford N.S. July 15th to July 17th. I have a Trillium and a Beachcomber under renovations and not ready for the road yet. I,m going with a tent and will bring pictures of my two. I believe over 100 units coming. Jim.
sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #18

Ontario
Thanks for the Fox Mt rally info Jim. I found their website too. Not sure if it will fit into our trip but will keep it in mind. I really would like to drop in and look at everyone's beauties! My Trillium is tripworthy but we will be on motorcycles and may be up in Cape Breton by that time...we shall see!
Old 07-04-2016, 05:50 AM   #19

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Attached are some of the Beachcomber logos that were painted over by the previous owner. The decal itself is still present but is just painted over.

Thanks. When I get a chance I'll show you what I've got.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #20

Nova Scotia
Interior almost complete

Interior almost complete....just need to reinstall the closet door.
Quote:
New owner of a 1979 Beachcomber RV located in Sydney, NS. Fibreglass is generally in good shape; however, just finished installing a new floor. Other improvements include new wall board, cushions and ceiling.
Attached Images

Tags
beachcomber