1981 16' Scamp is our very first trailer. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #1

Name: Ken
Trailer: 1981 16' Scamp
Idaho
1981 16' Scamp is our very first trailer.

Hi, my wife and I bought our very first camp trailer in August from an elderly couple in Libby, Montana. Pretty much everything on it is original but I have made a few DIY improvements, like LED tail and running lights, and we had a Suburban furnace and new brakes installed.

The Scamp is the very basic model (layout 5 without a bathroom) http://www.scamptrailers.com/Showroo...loorPlans.aspx

This weekend I have been making some new cabinet doors to replace the old, ugly doors that came with it. The new doors are going to be significantly lighter than the original particle board doors and they will look better too.

I have discovered a few problems that need to be addressed but, so far, they don't seem to be too serious.

There are a couple of repairs to the roof that weren't done very well but they don't leak and they seem to be holding well. They are more cosmetic problems than they are functional problems but I would like to fix them.

The next problem is a little more vexing. The door has a big gap at the bottom which seems to be caused by the body sagging just below the lower hinge and forward of the door. There is a significant gap between the door and the fiberglass below the front couch. I've looked through several of the threads that talk about this issue but I haven't really seen a solution yet. I'd really like to get this taken care of to reduce or eliminate dust.

The refrigerator works great, but the way it is mounted is causing some problems. I think that body sag, or something, is causing the bottom of the fridge to pull into the cabinet so it's not flush. This could also be symptomatic of a bad or weakening floor.

We're on a budget but I hope to make other significant improvements in the future.

I have yet to decide how involved I really want to get with this project though. Ideally, I would like to remove the trailer from the frame to remove the rust, which doesn't seem to be too bad. I'm not sure how good the floor is under the ugly old, original carpet. That could play into my decision too.

Since the trailer doesn't have a shower I'd like to turn the storage closet into a bathroom.

I'd also like to install a solar panel at some point since I prefer remote camping over rv parks and I will be using it on my work field trips too.

I'll post some photos or video at some point in the near future so people can see what I'm talking about. Hopefully you good people can guide me through some of these issues.
IdahoScamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Ken, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Yes, posting pictures will help us help you. You'll find lots of kind, helpful people ready to give you tips.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #3

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Congratulations on your first trailer! Yes, you will need to do all kinds of projects if you are like us. I am only "slightly" obsessed with the trailer.
You already have a good list there.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote