1986 UHAUL axle bearings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #1

Name: harold
Trailer: uhaul
Idaho
1986 UHAUL axle bearings

I have a 1986 uhaul 13 ft. and I would like to know if the axle bearings are serviceable... Some one told me they are a sealed unit??? Thanks
katie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #2

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Harold,
I'm no expert, but the folks on the U-Haul Facebook site say pretty emphatically that they are NOT serviceable. But apparently also give very long life just the same. There is information on that site on alternative hubs that can be substituted, should yours go bad... or if you wanted a spare along on a long trip??
Definitely worth joining both here and "over there". Different format between the two sites, for sure, but lots of help to be had from both.
Gary
Old 08-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
They are sealed units, not serviceable. Only thing you can do is jack up a wheel, (don't jack on the axle) and check for any play, roughness, or noise, when turning the wheel. Should be none of that. There has been only one known bearing failure in the whole Facebook group, and that failure may have been caused by some kind of abnormal damage. All kinds of good info in the files section of the Facebook group, and info from the members.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Oh, yeah those sealed bearings just keep on rolling!!
Just check them like Bob says. Thanks to my UH, I have yet to get any bearing grease under my nails.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie123 View Post
I have a 1986 uhaul 13 ft. and I would like to know if the axle bearings are serviceable... Some one told me they are a sealed unit??? Thanks
In case you aren't following all the threads, your hubs are supposedly Chevrolet Citation rear hubs Circa 1980, In case you ever need to replace one. Of course take your old one to the parts store with you to verify what I have said.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:41 AM   #6

Name: ron
Trailer: uhaul clone
Illinois
I HAVE A SET OF HUBS IF YOUR INTERESTED
rrod48@gmail.com
rrod48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, uhaul