2006 Egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #1

Name: Esther
Trailer: Eggcamper
Ontario
2006 Egg

Hi, I’m Esther,

We just bought an egg and I’m wondering what the heck I did. I know nothing about them, but saw it and fell in love.
I need a mentor! I live in Canada, is there anyone out there who can answer my questions?
1. Can I learn to drive around with it?
2. What’s the best way to learn?
3. Do I replace the carpet?

That’s it for now. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought “what have I done?”

Help!
Attached Thumbnails
9AEC5F56-C709-47E9-B79D-F4471BC16D96.jpg   C75FBA50-AFCB-47DB-A18D-3B15712A1AB7.jpg  

2B0226BB-1FAB-4E66-A758-96F410312938.jpg   DB64EA8C-BDCC-4137-94E7-1996D2ACA3F9.jpg  

Bernus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 11:23 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Absolutely you can learn!
I don't know about best, but the CAA offers an in person course for members and non-members. There are also many online training schools, youtube videos, etc. If you have a parking lot available, have a friend with towing experience drive you to the lot and walk you through basic steps including hitching, de-hitching, backing up, parking, etc. As far as the actual systems in a trailer, the CAA course covers that or someone who owns can show you. It really isn't that difficult.
That depends, do you like the carpet? Is it glued down or loose? I don't know if Eggcampers would be the same but my boler's floor is gel-coated fiberglass.

And welcome to the Egg family!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 11:27 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
My mom did this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernus View Post
Hi, I’m Esther,

We just bought an egg and I’m wondering what the heck I did. I know nothing about them, but saw it and fell in love.
I need a mentor! I live in Canada, is there anyone out there who can answer my questions?

That’s it for now. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought “what have I done?”

Help!
She went to the local RV dealer in Yuma AZ and bought an RV. Woke up the next day with an RV in her driveway and panicked. Ended up claiming buyer's remorse and got a refund.

6 months later my wife and I (mostly my wife) scouted around San Diego and found a smoking deal for a dealer demo Dolphin which mom purchased. She owned it for 13 years and thoroughly enjoyed it, traveling back and forth across the country all by herself.

I'm sure you will do the same. Just know that a million other people have managed to tow an RV and you can too.

As for learning to drive, take it to a big very empty mall parking lot and drive it around in circles. Back it up. Then try backing it into a parking spot (no one around to watch). When you jack knife it, straighten it out and try again. Very slowly!

Take it home and sit in it dreaming about all the places you'll go and the fun you'll have. Read the manuals.

Rinse and repeat.
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 12:00 PM   #4

Ontario
Thank you! I have kids who live 15 hours drive away - I hope I can learn to get there in the egg.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:01 PM   #5

Ontario
Thanks!
Old 08-17-2021, 02:40 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernus View Post
Thanks!
Esther, First off, very nice trailer. I totally understand why you fell in love with it. Pretty much the same thing happened to me. You even have A/C, nice!

I bought mine to take my family from Calgary to Manitoulin Island. A three day drive, if you aren’t in a hurry:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ver-60777.html

That trip was sort of a bust, but I still love my trailer. Rest stops are your friend. We would drive till neither my wife, nor I could drive any more. Then we would pull into a rest stop with a bathroom, (minimum requirement) and put the 5 kids and ourselves to bed, (four kids in the trailer, one kid, my wife and myself in the van). The idea was that if the police took exception to our presence, we could be mobile in ten minutes. That never happened. There are some very nice rest stops in Ontario. In time you will know the best ones on the 15 hr. drive between you and your kids.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Great find. You'll get there, in respect to towing g and backing.
Have a grand time. And, congrats.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote