2020 Trillium Outback Review - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #21

Name: Brian
Trailer: Trillium
Kentucky
If mine was a V6 I'd feel comfortable with the listed capacity, but it's the same 4cyl motor and tranny as the models rated at only 1500 lbs. I have a hard time believing adding a tranny cooler and whatever other small modifications they've made can more than double the towing capacity.

I also live in Colorado, so the mountain passes are of concern to me.
Grabow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabow View Post
but it's the same 4cyl motor and tranny as the models rated at only 1500 lbs.

Are you sure about that? It is 4cyl, but I think not the same motor.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #23

Kentucky
Yep, I'm pretty sure all 2019 Rav4 models have the same 2.5 liter 4cyl, 203 HP motor
Old 09-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #24

Kentucky
Except for the Hybrid of course
Old 09-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #25

Found this. 2013 is when they stopped offering the V6.

The 2013 RAV4 comes a with Toyota's 2.5-liter four cylinder engine that produces 176 horsepower and 172 foot lbs of torque. Unfortunately, the V6 engine has been discontinued as Toyota wanted some daylight between the RAV4 and the larger Highlander. The old 4-speed transmission has been jettisoned and replaced with a brand new 6-speed transmission designed to enhance fuel performance. The first and second gears are intended for around-town performance while the fifth and sixth gears are overdrives. The Dynamic Torque Control continuously monitors torque control through and electromagnet and can adjust the torque between the front and rear from anything between 100:00 to 50:50, which can help get you out of some hairy situations, if needed. Also, there is a new Sport Mode that changes the engine performance for a sportier and more dynamic drive.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
My 2018 Rav4 is the Trail Edition (4 cyl) which comes with a 3500 lb tow capacity. Although I have not yet towed our Escape 15' with the Rav4, we should be able to do so.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
2020 Trillium Outback Review

I picked up my built to order Trillium Outback in 2018 and was very happy with it, but was it delivered a lot later than promised. There were a few build issues that were repaired without fuss.

Joe and Reece are great guys and have bent over backwards whenever I needed something. I believe they really do care about building trailers that make people happy. They’re constantly busy with new builds, upgrades, and repairing other trailers, and it seems they struggle to make their promised delivery dates.

I think Island Claire’s advice is spot on: don’t get emotionally attached to promised dates, stay in touch regularly with Joe, be friendly and patient, and have faith that Joe and Reece will ultimately build you an awesome little trailer for a price that can’t be beat.

You can see my Trillium Outback here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...d.php?p=737479
Our options included double 6V batteries, solar panel and charge controller, 3-way convertible, front dinette (bunk bed/dinette/couch), Fantastic Fan, vent cover, custom gelcoat colour, custom cushion fabric, furnace, slightly bigger fridge, sink, fresh water tank, flush mount 2 burner stove, USB charging ports, 2 inch receiver for bike rack, upholstered storage holds, and custom flooring. If I could do anything different I’d ask for something to block the light from showing through the fibreglass hull.

Good Luck!
Leif
leifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #28

Kentucky
Leifs and Claire, thank you for the insight. Your experiences and advice are right in line with my feelings going into this. From the conversations I've had with him, I too believe Joe really cares about building trailers that make people happy.
My delivery date however is actually a hard date. I feel I've conveyed this to Joe, and he's assured me that it won't be a problem, but all of the feedback I'm getting from past customers of his says not to count on it.
We'll be traveling from Colorado to pick up our trailer, and have scheduled time off from work to make our maiden voyage directly after pick up. We had to schedule our time off 6 months in advance, so hopefully Joe delivers as promised, as we won't be able to reschedule.

Leifs, if you don't mind me asking, how far past your scheduled delivery date was your trailer actually ready and what build issues did you encounter after pick up?
Old 09-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #29

Kentucky
Hey Bill, believe me, if the info is out there about Trillium Outback, I've read it. I've read every review, complaint, and compliment that exists. It's part of the reason that I started this thread.

I'm well aware of the potential issues that may come up. I'm not so naive to believe that everything will go exactly as planned or as I've been told, but I also believe that Joe sincerely wants to make his customers happy, and I stand by everything I've said in this thread.

In the end, I know there are some risks associated with my decision, though I've done my best to mitigate them.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Leifs and Claire, thank you for the insight. Your experiences and advice are right in line with my feelings going into this. From the conversations I've had with him, I too believe Joe really cares about building trailers that make people happy.

My delivery date however is actually a hard date. I feel I've conveyed this to Joe, and he's assured me that it won't be a problem, but all of the feedback I'm getting from past customers of his says not to count on it.

We'll be traveling from Colorado to pick up our trailer, and have scheduled time off from work to make our maiden voyage directly after pick up. We had to schedule our time off 6 months in advance, so hopefully Joe delivers as promised, as we won't be able to reschedule.

Leifs, if you don't mind me asking, how far past your scheduled delivery date was your trailer actually ready and what build issues did you encounter after pick up?

Sure, I’ll message you.
leifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by leifs View Post
Sure, I’ll message you.

Is sending private messages on a topic in the spirit of this forum?
Old 09-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #32

Kentucky
In all fairness, the idea of this particular thread is to cover MY experience with Trillium Outback, so I don't think it's out of line for someone to PM me rather than sidetrack things here.

Keeping that in mind, for anyone interested, I'd like to reiterate that my experience with Joe has been nothing but positive thus far. I've been very happy with our level of communication, especially considering how far out my pick up/delivery date is. I'm quite sure he's busy getting trailers built and shipped out, but he always takes the time to answer any questions I might have. It also seems to me that he wants to make sure I get exactly what I'm looking for, and I appreciate that.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #33

Kentucky
I wanted to give a quick update on the progress of our trailer. We’ve settled on colors and options, and I just received our cushion fabric today.

We’re still waiting on the paperwork from Joe, but I expect to have that very shortly. According to Joe, we’re still on track for our March 1st pick up date.

Below is the list of options/customizations we decided on:

Awning
Storage cover
Front Dinette and Bed Combo
Entry door window with blind and valance
4 gallon water heater [upgraded to a DSI model]
Outside shower
Fantastic 3350 series fan
Dual 6 volt batteries
Dual lpg tanks
Electric brake package
170 watt solar package
Custom cabinets
Colour matched gravel guard protection including wheel wells
Custom Cabinet w/Porta potti
14" Spare tire and cover
Dolly wheel
Interior and exterior Led lighting
Deluxe appliance upgrade
HD cutting board
Add a flow kit for Propane
Colour matched wheels with chrome accents
White furnace grill and if possible white fridge front panel
Microwave
Custom coloured gel paint RAL 1005 Honey Yellow (entire shell, inside and out)
Carpet lined storage compartments
USB Charging Ports
Upgraded Windows (still waiting on confirmation from manufacturer)
Delete all decals

Here is a photo of the fabric sample and color swatch from the RAL color we chose.
Attached Thumbnails
ColorFabric2.JPG  
Old 11-23-2019, 05:02 PM   #34

Kentucky
The colors look a good bit different in person than the photo I posted.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:16 PM   #35

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Lost part of down payment to Trillium Outback
California
Checking in

I am hoping that everything is on track for you. Please update us on your trailer as it would be awesome to know that the Thoens have things together and are delivering trailers when they promise to.
gtinseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:22 AM   #36

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
no decals

So is your trailer going to be a Casper guy?

bob

Quote:
I wanted to give a quick update on the progress of our trailer. We’ve settled on colors and options, and I just received our cushion fabric today.

We’re still waiting on the paperwork from Joe, but I expect to have that very shortly. According to Joe, we’re still on track for our March 1st pick up date.

Below is the list of options/customizations we decided on:

Awning
Storage cover
Front Dinette and Bed Combo
Entry door window with blind and valance
4 gallon water heater [upgraded to a DSI model]
Outside shower
Fantastic 3350 series fan
Dual 6 volt batteries
Dual lpg tanks
Electric brake package
170 watt solar package
Custom cabinets
Colour matched gravel guard protection including wheel wells
Custom Cabinet w/Porta potti
14" Spare tire and cover
Dolly wheel
Interior and exterior Led lighting
Deluxe appliance upgrade
HD cutting board
Add a flow kit for Propane
Colour matched wheels with chrome accents
White furnace grill and if possible white fridge front panel
Microwave
Custom coloured gel paint RAL 1005 Honey Yellow (entire shell, inside and out)
Carpet lined storage compartments
USB Charging Ports
Upgraded Windows (still waiting on confirmation from manufacturer)
Delete all decals

Here is a photo of the fabric sample and color swatch from the RAL color we chose.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #37

Name: Mat
Trailer: shopping!
Royston
any update on the delivery of your trillium?
Mat in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #38

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
That Honey Yellow shell must be striking! Pics please
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:04 AM   #39

Name: Dana
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
update?

I was just about to place an order with Outback, when I started reading the google reviews. I decided to come here and see what I could find. This is exactly what I was hoping to find, but I really want to hear the end result of your experience!
RVnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:35 AM   #40

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnewbie View Post
I was just about to place an order with Outback, when I started reading the google reviews. I decided to come here and see what I could find. This is exactly what I was hoping to find, but I really want to hear the end result of your experience!
You might want to take a look at the new Armadillo Backpack model. Similar size and function as the Outback and seems to have an excellent reputation for build quality, customer service, and on-time delivery.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium