2021 Scamp 16 ordered - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp shopping
Wisconsin
2021 Scamp 16 ordered

I wanted to ask Scamp owners what add ons they like , wish they had and never use. I ordered a 16 #6 layout heater and A/C , roof Fan , 3.7 frig. (makes ice cubes). For a spring 2021 pick up. I have time to modify the order but would like to poll users of Scamps for opinions.

Thanks

Chris
Washburn Wi
CBUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Those who live in the south would not trade AC for a furnace. Those who live in the north would not trade a furnace for AC.
Choice would also impact resale.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:08 AM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
BOTH the heat and air conditioning

[QUOTE=CBUL;783595]I wanted to ask Scamp owners what add ons they like , wish they had and never use. I ordered a 16 #6 layout heater and A/C , roof Fan , 3.7 frig. (makes ice cubes). /QUOTE]
In Wisconsin you will use BOTH the heat and air conditioning. I also use the heat strip to take the chill off when I have full a hook up, but it is no substitute for the furnace. Note that you are in a small space with both and they will be loud so I also carry a small electric space heater.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:51 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We had a 16 dlx, side dinette, front bath.
we added the overhead cabinets all around.
For the two of us, we kept the bed up in the rear, Made a pair of slide out trays for "stuff" to fit under the bed. It had the furnace, but a small electric heater gave us all the heat needed, as long as we had shore power.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:05 PM   #5

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
I wish I had got the water heater that runs on both electric or propane. I stay in a lot of state parks with electric and it is a lot easier to flick a switch than to go out side and light it. I would only need hot water once a day after a cool night, why leave it run all day. Also with what I know now, I would have the trailer set up for AC but not install it. Tape the hole up for shipping and I'll install a 7500 BTU unit instead.
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:09 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have gas only water heater in my Escape. I do not have to go outside to light it. I just switch it on for half an hour in the morning, or before a shower. Rest of the time it is off and water stays hot.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:26 AM   #7

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Chris,

A few years ago, my wife and I had a Scamp13 with the 54" bed. My sister and brother-in-law had a Scamp16 Layout 6 with the 44" bed. Although many folks make the 44" bed work (and some even say they prefer it), my sister and brother-in-law really liked our larger bed space. My brother-in-law also said that in the side dinette, he felt like he was sitting bolt upright and he preferred the slight recline of our sofa/bunks for relaxing indoors.

When my wife and I moved up to a Scamp16, we got the Deluxe (in order to again have the 54" bed) and the Layout A with the free swap of front sofa/bunks in place of the usual front dinette (so that we could sleep a couple grandkids).

The usual downside to the front sofa is a potential necessity to convert the rear bed to the dinette mode for indoor dining in hot/humid/rainy weather. We resolved that with a Lagun Table that swings out in front of the sofa for an occasional indoor meal (We usually prefer eating outdoors at a picnic table or inside our CLAM screen room.)

The side bathroom in a Scamp 16 (Layout 4 or Layout A) is not as large as the front bathroom. Since we are only medium-frame people and we don't spend much time in the side bathroom, it works for us (... larger people might find it too small for comfort?)

We did get the combo water heater (electric + gas). We did not get the furnace (we use a small ceramic space heater) and we did not get the noisy and expensive top-mounted AC (although we don't often need AC, when we really do need it, we use a 5000 BTU Frigidaire window unit mounted in in the rear window ... after we arrive). Mounting the AC, after we arrive somewhere, is not as convenient as flipping the switch on a top-mounted AC but the window unit is quieter and cheaper than the top-mounted AC units.

People have different camping styles and different wants/needs. Our trailer might not be suitable for some folks but it works OK for us. (We worked with Wayne Pitlick at Scamp to create our Scamp16D-A configuration.)

Pix of our Scamp16D-A can be found in the following folder:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...EVhNVo1VHQ0WFU

Best of luck with all of your decisions!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #8

Name: Jim
Minnesota
Chris,
I have a 16ft SD totally loaded that I've owned for 15 years and it is my first RV. My wife and I have been all over the U.S. and Canada with it, in all kinds of weather. We have not boondocked during the winter, but certainly could (as in we have the equipment and the know-how). The only thing I would not get is the furnace. In my unit it is excessively noisey and will drain the battery in no time if I'm not connected to shore power. I have run it only twice and then for just a few minutes. I intend to remove and sell it if I can. We use a small electric space heater when hooked up, or a Mr. Heater Buddy Jr. if not. Both are adequate for us.
Scamper881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:04 AM   #9

Name: RLS
Yooper U P Michigan
Recommend gettting the extra fresh water tank.Ours is a loaded delux 16 it has every option but the strip heater. We live in the upper peninsula MI and have never missed having it.
Scamp16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have the 13' Scamp but the accessories etc are basically the same.

Here's what we added and love and would NOT be without:
We added the screen door, awning, bathroom WITH sink, rear cabinets, roof mount a/c with heat strip (dont use the heat strip that much...use small portable heater), water heater, 12v interior added plug at the bulkhead at the front door (you have the same with layout 16), electric brakes (yes, the were optional on our 13'...think they're std on your 16), linoleum- NO CARPET in an RV period!!, 3-way fridge- ours doesnt have the freezer and probably couldnt run on 12v if it did, louver windows (NO sliders...not sure the louvers are availble anymore)

What we DIDNT get but NEEDED:
GET THE LARGE BED 54"!!! the 43" is WAY too small for a couple but wasnt available on my 13' at the time!!, pull handle to get up in the Scamp (I added my own), 120v exterior plug, electric hot plate (we removed the propane stove top...hate that in the Scamp but we're not boondockers either, , digital thermostat for a/c (I added my own) they may offer it now, NON SEE-THROUGH CURTAINS! We had to add "Roclun" liners to ours. That's a joke! HOPEFULLY Scamp has changed that.

I removed our propane gas tank and use 90% electric. I still have it in case I go off grid which is RARELY. I'd like to have the dual WH with propane electric. I added a "HOTTROD" to mine for electric. That's why I can now remove my propane- fridge, wh, cooking plate- all AC.

This is our liking...as you will notice, there will be TONS of opinions. That's what makes RVing fun. Arrange it to suit yourself.
darral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBUL View Post
I wanted to ask Scamp owners what add ons they like , wish they had and never use. I ordered a 16 #6 layout heater and A/C , roof Fan , 3.7 frig. (makes ice cubes). For a spring 2021 pick up. I have time to modify the order but would like to poll users of Scamps for opinions.

Thanks

Chris
Washburn Wi
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #11

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
Must have's and never use

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBUL View Post
I wanted to ask Scamp owners what add ons they like , wish they had and never use...
I've only had my 2019 Scamp Layout 6 for one year this month. I personally would have left the heater out because a simple portable heater is quieter and is plenty for chilly times here and I've camped on days at 32F. And the lights for both exterior and at the hitch is handy at night!

I would also have added a small door immediately to the left as you step into the camper on the section with the microwave (must have) as there is a great deal of space wasted behind it and there is aa two-plug outlet is inside there with only one thing plugged in!

Judi in NC
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:38 PM   #12

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I haven't ordered a Scamp new (would love to someday), but I would plan on buying without the black hose container mounted on the front of the trailer.

Second feature is I would buy with a 2 inch receiver on the back bumper.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #13

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
I find that the Mr Big Propane heater is great, can be used indoors and can alleviate the furnace. A clothes closet is very nice and wish I had one lol. Hindsight always better. I have the 19 foot 5th wheel Scamp and Love it.

Yank
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Which options depends on what you plan to use the camper for.. especially on grid vs Off grid.

But I will say this... just remember that everything you add on means more maintenance, and even a simple camping trailer requires a fair amount of maintenance already.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:04 PM   #15

Name: George
Trailer: Scamp 13 '
OH
AC YES

I have a 13' and ordered the AC and for a year regretted it....until this past week. I was in Wisc and Minn and without the AC I am not sure I would have been able to sleep in the heat. It is too much unit for the space, but has been well worth it.

I have both the gas and electric water heater, I think just gas would be fine.

I have the heater and it was a lifesaver on my first trip to Vermont. I see that others suggest a space heater, but with floor space at a premium, I am really glad I got the factory installed heater.

With the 13 came with a freezer! But it did give me an excuse to purchase a Yeti cooler.
Doc Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny in Ohio View Post
I wish I had got the water heater that runs on both electric or propane. I stay in a lot of state parks with electric and it is a lot easier to flick a switch than to go out side and light it. I would only need hot water once a day after a cool night, why leave it run all day. Also with what I know now, I would have the trailer set up for AC but not install it. Tape the hole up for shipping and I'll install a 7500 BTU unit instead.
I have a pilot lit propane only water heater.Once lit and brought to temperature, the pilot maintains the heat and the water heater almost never cycles unless water is used for a shower.
The propane use is so low when water is not used that the water heater is effectively pretty much "on-demand". We run ours full time for weeks at a time while on a site.
Fact is, with the propane shut off I have showered 24 hours after leaving the campsite and had plenty of hot water.
I originally wanted an electric/propane water heater, but Scamp didn't offer one when I bought (2004). Now I really prefer my pilot light even over piezoelectric ignition. The difference even from shore power is really negligible unless you live full time in the trailer, we seldom go more than 5-6 weeks at a time.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:10 AM   #17

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Many new campers never plan to boondock. But what they do not appreciate is the amount of dry camping they might do. Common dry camping for me are several state and national parks, forest service campgrounds and so on. I will also overnight on the way to my destination at Walmarts, truck stops, whatever, and do the same on the way home.

Another thing some overlook is they focus more on the weather where they live, instead of the weather they are going to be camping.

Boondocking? I've never done it. Dry camping? Probably about 75% of my camping.

BTW, as a senior, the half off camping at any national park is an outstanding value.

Strange on the furnace comment. Its a must for me and I do not remember it using up the battery very quickly.

On narrow beds, one "trick" is to lay in opposite directions. Your feet next to their head, your head next to their feet. Its not the answer to everything, but it helps. Of course, the big bed helps more.

On options you will find someone hates option #1, someone else LOVES option #1. Weekend campers have much different needs than week long or even month long campers. Camping in the SE USA is so different than the western USA. NE USA is so different than the PNW. Canada has huge variety. Me, I live in the SE, but camp in the western USA. And so it goes...
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #18

Name: Dana
California
RE:2021 Scamp 16 ordered

I have a 201816 ft layout 6. I ended up getting mine off Scamp's cancellation list. It came with the 3.7 ft fridge, which I had not planned on getting, it is a must. The AC I have only used twice, since I boondock mostly. However, the two times I have had hookups during hot weather I was SO grateful. I got the Fiamma and it was a waste a money of me. I camp in areas that get windy suddenly and it does not handle wind well. I had it out twice when the wind caught it and now it is a bit wonky. I prefer to use a durable easy up, which can be moved around depending on the camping area. I do not have a bathroom window, and so wish I did. I do not have a sink in the bathroom and so wish I did. I leave the back dinette down as a bed. If they are putting in outside hatches to access the storage under there, I wish I had that also. Have to have a heater in winter for this SoCal scamper. And if they have an electronic tounge lift...I am getting one this month and having it installed. 2 years of cranking is getting annoying.
andor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #19

Name: Bill
Trailer: shopping
MN
We have a 2015 16ft Scamp layout #6.
Dislikes:
My dear SO was adamant that we had to get the bathroom- she has only used the shower once. It uses up so much of the fresh water that you have to haul the trailer to the dump station every other day to refill. The only time you can use the shower is when you are hooked up to city water & sewer - all those places have shower blocks.
The 2" receiver for bike racks. Our experience, the bikes on the rack swayed so much that it set the trailer swaying too. We have to put the bikes inside the scamp or on the tow vehicle.
Standard bed to narrow. We checked the length, that was OK, but not enough shoulder width to sleep side by side. She has the bed, I use the side dinette.
Toilet, that's why we don't use a tent anymore.
Nice to have the furnace and AC. Used them both in here in Minnesota.
Gas & electric water heater and fridge. Saves the propane.
Dual propane tanks.
DrBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #20

Name: Dana
California
I have my 2018 scamp at Burning Man 2018. No hookups, out in the middle of a dry lake bed. I used my shower twice, military style. I was grateful to have it. I use it at other shorter events, but again I do it sparingly. I do a lot of BLM dry camping.
andor61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp