78 scamp tire replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2019, 09:24 PM   #1

Name: Denise
Trailer: SCAMP
Tennessee
Question 78 scamp tire replacement

Hi All! I'm new to camper world. Just purchased a mostly renovated 78 13' SCAMP. I bought new tires (with wheels) but can't get the old tire out from under the wheel well. Any suggestions as to what we're doing wrong?131596[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0343.jpg  
Denise O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
tire clearance

If you are jacking on the frame and the axle travel is not allowing the tire to clear, it may be time to replace the axle.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:41 PM   #3

Tennessee
SCAMP TIRE CLEARNCE

Kenneth,

Thanks for the reply. What is "jacking on the frame". I assume the "axle travel" is what the wheel slides onto. Is it safe to pull for a short distance (maybe 30 miles) before replacement?
Old 09-23-2019, 11:08 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Scamp tire change

If you jack on the frame the wheel should drop down in the opening when you jack it up. If not, the axle is old, and the arm is seized and should be replaced. Towing should be safe, but it may shake things around a bit in the RV.
Attached Thumbnails
27 jack here.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:34 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Ut oh... could be a worn out axle that is no longer moving up and down as it should. Torsion axle has a lifespan of maybe 20 years, or 25 if very lucky and well treated. So with a 1978 camper, even if the axle was replaced once, it might be due again. And if it was never replaced then there is little doubt its shot.

You might want to put the lug nuts back on and tow it to a good utility trailer shop for evaluation.

Some but not all of this info pertains to you. good to read it:
Torsion Axle - everything you want to know - Boler.ca
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:31 AM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Ut oh... could be a worn out axle that is no longer moving up and down as it should. Torsion axle has a lifespan of maybe 20 years, or 25 if very lucky and well treated. So with a 1978 camper, even if the axle was replaced once, it might be due again. And if it was never replaced then there is little doubt its shot.

You might want to put the lug nuts back on and tow it to a good utility trailer shop for evaluation.

Some but not all of this info pertains to you. good to read it:
Torsion Axle - everything you want to know - Boler.ca
Thank you. This is helpful.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:33 AM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
If you jack on the frame the wheel should drop down in the opening when you jack it up. If not, the axle is old, and the arm is seized and should be replaced. Towing should be safe, but it may shake things around a bit in the RV.
Thank you. Looks like I’ll be taking her into the shop.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:34 AM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Any idea what I should expect to pay for an axle replacement?
Old 09-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise O. View Post
Any idea what I should expect to pay for an axle replacement?
A lot less if you take it to Scamp Headquarters in Backus, MN. But more if its welded on instead of bolted.. look underneath and find out.

If you search this forum alone you will find lots of info including costs. But I suggest calling Scamp and asking for their price, and use that as a low baseline when shopping locally. Also utilize Scamp for advice on which one to buy and what specs it needs, and to advise your local shop.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:17 AM   #10

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I'd suggest you not rest your legs UNDER the camper when taking a wheel off! Campers DO fall off jacks!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
78 scamp tire replacement

My Scamp 13 has plenty of “axle travel” and it’s only ten years old. The wheel is very difficult to get into the wheel well, especially on the curbside. It’s just a tight fit due to the contouring of the shell.

Scamp recently changed to a higher clearance axle- zero degrees versus the old 22.5 degrees up angle. Curious if that helps.

Agree- no body parts under the trailer unless it’s properly supported on jack stands. I store mine raised on jack stands when not in use, per Scamp’s recommendation.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #12

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
My Scamp 13 has plenty of “axle travel” and it’s only ten years old. ..
Yes, OP should try to find out how old the axle is. Maybe the prior owner can help, and if you live a really really good life and have lots of luck.. the label might even be on it (but thats not likely if its old).
Old 09-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Just curious if you jacked it up by placing the jack under the axle, or under the frame. Scamps should never have the jack placed under the axle, it can damage the axle. If the jack is under the frame, as it should be, the axle should drop down a bit as you jack it up, giving more room to pull the tire.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:58 PM   #14

North Carolina
Please see this post.

Sounds like Scamp was a good resource for dealing with a worn out axle. A worn out axle might or might not be an issue for you but if it is then good to know that Scamp was a help for that owner.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #15

Name: Patricia
Trailer: ECO & Casita
California
Registry
Axle replacement issues

A couple of other things to consider:

1. While the shop is looking at your axle for replacement, have them check your frame thoroughly. The older ones are prone to cracking towards the front. You want to get these safety issues checked and repaired, BEFORE you start customizing the interior.

2. Double check your insurance coverage. I found out the hard way, that even though I had coverage on my 13’ 74 ECO, my insurance company did not offer roadside assistance of any kind. I had to buy a separate roadside assistance policy from another company. My insurer said that it was refusing coverage because of its age. Know your coverage, before you need to use it.

3. If you need to have any electrical work done, discuss where you are going to place the components before you let the shop start. Also consider what options you may decide to add down the road. I didn’t, and wound up with the roadside bed compartment full of a maintenance free battery, and the new convertor. There went my main option for useable storage. It also limited my options to adding a portable solar panel in the future. A smaller locking storage box installed up front is a nice option for holding your hoses, chocks, outdoor carpet and other things you use outside.
Pat Stipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp