Advice please! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #1

Name: Ali
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
Advice please!

Hi! I am Ali from Woodstock, NY. My little family of three (me, my husband and 2-year-old daughter) are looking at trailers to tow behind our 2010 Toyota Tundra for occasional weekend camp trips. We just looked at the Riverside Retro 176S, which I know isn't a fiberglass trailer, but we LOVE the roomy layout and the look of the interior. It's priced at $20k at a local dealer which is right around what we want to spend. I am worried it's cheaply made and will degrade quickly. I am a huge fan of Oliver and Airstream but can't afford either. I understand the value and quality of fiberglass trailers and we like the look much more than stick trailers. So, I turn to you: what fiberglass trailer should I be looking up in that price range that is 18-23' long? We eventually will have another kid but are okay staying compact because we spend our camping days outside mostly. How can we maximize bang for our buck in the fiberglass world? Oh, and I would like to purchase ASAP so we can get camping!
Alitroxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
You are kinda missing an important point...
A twenty year old fiberglass trailer which has been well cared for is a BETTER investment than any new stickie.
It can also be owned for nearly nothing when purchase minus resale is considered.
Look for a ten year old version of the new stickie trailer you are considering and report back here as to its price and condition.
The Riverside is a beautiful trailer and of course if the following is true then you have no worries about it degrading or being cheaply made (I'd check the fine print) <www.warrantyforever.com>...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #3

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Alitroxell,

Welcome! As empty nesters, Laura and I are newbies and have only owned our used Casita 17' FD since November and have only been camping since late March for a total of 4 trips and 20 nights in the Casita. Despite researching RVs for a couple of years, be careful on any advice that I have!

With a 2nd child at some point in the future, a rig that sleeps four would be ideal.

How important is a bathroom? With 53 y/o bladders, Laura and I had to have a bathroom!!! We also had to have a dedicated bed. A place to sit in addition to the bed was a strong preference. Everything else was no big deal.

We love our Casita, but in my opinion they are ideal rigs for one or two people and a 3rd person in a pinch. Unless modified, I don't think they are a good choice for four.

Scamps offer a wide variety of floorplans that can include sleeping for four, particularly if you don't want a bathroom, but it can still be done with a bathroom.

The Escape 19' and 21' models would be wonderful for four, but you are looking at a 1.5 year waiting list for new and a near nonexistent supply used.

Speaking of used, I would recommend used. Find a solid used unit. You will save money, not take a depreciation hit, and can confirm your desire to camp without a major financial commitment.

Bigfoot 21' and 25' units would be super nice as well, but bigger means heavier, plus pricey. Do you have the tow capacity? Finding used is a challenge, but possible with patience.

I live less than two hours from the Oliver plant. AMAZING rigs. A possible retirement rig for Laura and I in 9 years. Impossible to find used. Very pricey. IMO, not great rigs for four.

After nearly 2 years of research, I have a strong bias for fiberglass. My brother just bought a stickie. Nice, but not fiberglass!!! The Riverside Retros are uber cool, but I would consider short and long-term durability as well as resale down the road.

In my humble opinion, I would recommend a used Scamp 16' that could sleep four or used Escape 19'.

Make sure that you have nice tow vehicle that can handle the weight of the trailer you select.

Happy Hunting and keep us posted!

Take care,

Dean

P.S. - I was born in Kingston, NY and lived in Phoenicia, NY for a couple of years. I think Phoenicia and Woodstock are only about 10 miles away. Beautiful area!
Old 06-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #4

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We love our boler

[QUOTE=floyd;593452]You are kinda missing an important point...
A twenty year old fiberglass trailer which has been well cared for is a BETTER investment than any new stickie.
It can also be owned for nearly nothing when purchase minus resale is considered.
Look for a ten year old version of the new stickie trailer you are considering and report back here as to its price and condition.
The Riverside is a beautiful trailer and of course if the following is true then you have no worries about it degrading or being cheaply made (I'd check the fine print) <www.warrantyforever.com>...
[/QUOT\

Well said
Old 06-18-2016, 10:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Everything Dean said
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I would add the Parkliner. While only 15, ' it has a queen bed, bath, and optional bunk beds. Note that all bunk beds have weight limits. So sooner or later the kids will out grow them.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You really need to take your time and actually walk through the campers B 4. u. Make up your mind. The Tundra should be able to pull anything you would want. I prefer a 5th wheel where the master bed is up top and there is a shower/toilet in the unit. I also like 4 wheels on the unit as it gives me more peace of mind when towing.

The price you say you can afford should put you in a most fine unit.

Here is a repo site. Should you see something you like, always lowball the offer and see if the bank will accept it. Never offer their asking price.

Www.kingrv.com
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Hi, your Tundra should be more than enough for most of the fiberglass rigs out there. We love our Casita 17 SD, which we pull with a 2002 Tundra, and while the SD will sleep three, if you forego the bathroom there's a bunk bed option that would allow you to sleep 4 or more. As others have mentioned, the Escape 19 or 21 would work, another option would be the Scamp fifth wheel model.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #9

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
From someone that has owned stickies and FG campers I can give the following advice. Stickies will have more room and convinces but FG trailers will hold their value and are a better investment. That being said: choose the trailer that best suits your families needs and enjoy your camping experiences. If you want a trailer that will hold a better resale value the go with a FG trailer. You can also choose a fifth wheel FG and would be fine with your vehicle. Good luck.