Am I too old ..... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #41

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I googled it, looks like it's "Sisters on the Fly"

They actually have a counter part group thats called "Men with Flys" the name appeared on a number of trailers at a recent Vintage trailer rally in Washington. They have an interesting Initiation ceremony as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #42

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Solo-sometimes!

Mr. Jon,

I love your statement!

"I just finished a 138 day, 16,000 mile solo trip around the country and enjoyed every minute of it."

Glad to see there is another hardy soul that moves forward even without the other half. Just pulling out of my driveway is a thrill
and it gets better from there! Thanks Indeed!
Old 09-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #43

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Pat, I am also a female who travels a fair bit on her own and I can tell you that there is nothing to worry about in that regard - you will find just about ever where you go if you have a problem someone will be more than happy to help you out. As far as learning to tow goes if your starting from scratch I dont think you will find that it makes much difference to you if you are pulling a 13' trailer vs a 16' - both are pretty easy tows and pretty well the same as far a hitch up & set up goes.

I would suggest if possible you get out and see as many small fiberglass trailers as you can and decide what you think you must have in order to be comfortable in the trailer on your own - especially in bad weather should you get caught out. For me a bathroom was a must as I didn't want to be walking around a campground late at night when on my own. Learning to dump out holding tanks and keeping them clean is actually a lot simpler than some might lead you to believe. Once you decide what you really must have in/on the trailer to be comfortable you will then have a better idea as to what trailer make/size fits your needs and a good idea as to how much towing power your new tow vehicle will need.

On this forum there is a list of trailers with Real World Weights - most weighed in at trailer meets with peoples belongings in them. You will see the weights are usually a lot more than what the manufactures dry weights are. Would be a shame to go out and buy a new vehicle only to discover it cant handle the weight of the trailer you really want to have.

The best place to see a lot of different trailers would be a Fiberglass trailer meet up. I dont know where you are in Arizona but there is a map of the rally's for 2012 located here. The pins in red have already taken place. There is a fairly small meet near Parker in December that is a bit of a mixed trailer meet up - vintage trailers, tincan, teardrops and fiberglass - unfortunately there were only a few fiberglass trailers when I attended it last year.

The Fiberglass Trailer rally map for 2013 which so far only has the ones that have dates formally announced can be found here. The big Fiberglass trailer meet at Quartzsite Arizona is Feb 8-9 2013. Which if you can wait and are anywhere near would be well worth your time to check out.

Have fun with it!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #44

Trailer: Boler 1984
My mom's 102 and still going. At 72, I guess that I still have another 30 years of camping left.
PS I'm looking for a sports car, too.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #45

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Wink Age is just a number

In a few weeks I will be heading south for four(4) months. I will farm out the house plants, disconnect the 'phone etc. and walk out of my apt. in this senior's complex, locking the door as I go.
There is some concern amongst my family but my grandchildren said, "Go for it!!"
If I don't like it, I will head for home.
If I run out of money, I will head for home.
If I adapt, I will wave as we pass each other, on the road.......
Scouter Dave
Old 09-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #46

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
No matter your age, you're only too old if you THINK you are. My wife's sister was "old" at 40.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #47

Name: PAT
Trailer: BROWSING FIBERGLASS TRAILERS
Arizona
Any suggestions as to a tow vehicle?

Hi Don, Wow that was quite a journey--I'm impressed.

So back to a tow vehicle. I am leaning towards an SUV a couple of years old, although I do like the Ford F-150 pickups and also Ranger pickups. Haven't the foggest as to what I should look at first--just know I don't want a brand new vehicle. They cost too much!
scrazyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #48

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
I pull with a small SUV. It is great to have the closed storage in the back area of the SUV to take the weight out of the burro. A truck with a shell would offer the same advantage.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #49

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
we have had both a ford escape, and a jeep liberty. both are about the same , i can tell you they both rode well, towed nice, and were 4 wheel drive which can be comforting to us northerners ,,,don't suppose you get much snow down there,,though sand drifts might be about the same.
But,,,if you do go north,, in winter, it might be something you would appreciate.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #50

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
I tow with a Ford Escape. A 13' Trillium for 7 years with a 2003 Ford Escape. Last year I got a 4500 Trillium and this year a 2012 Ford Escape. I guess you can go 4-wheel drive but even though I live in the'Great White North', I never found I needed 4-wheel drive and I worried it would only be one more system that could break down.

And, btw, I have towed all over Canada and quite abit of the USA.....alone.

The last couple years I've carried a cell phone (bc my DD gave me one for Christmas) and I have roadside service with CAA for both the Escape and Trill.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #51

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This was posted by a friend on Facebook... I thought it fit this thread pretty well
Attached Thumbnails
Today.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #52

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi pat---you have received some excellent advice from your new friends here on this forum.
i know you will find something that is right for you....and when you do, GET OUT THERE AND JUST GO!

i wish i was able to do what you are doing, but at 55, i am not quite done with working. but----i sure am making good use of my trailer until i can!!!

good luck with your search. it's half the fun!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #53

Name: Peggy
Trailer: Looking at Casitas
Tennessee
Wow! Pat, you have gotten great replies. I am a new member and am starting to look - leaning toward a Casita. I'll also have to get a new tow vehicle. Last week I turned 63 and am single. Earlier this year I put all my "stuff" in storage and have spent the summer working in Yellowstone National Park. Great adventure!!! Now I have "wanderlust" and no interest in getting that stuff back out Headed to Houston to visit family and will stop by the Casita factory on my way. Maybe I'll see you on the road one day.
PeggyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #54

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyL View Post
......... Headed to Houston to visit family and will stop by the Casita factory on my way......... .
Great. I think they take VISA.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #55

Name: Peggy
Trailer: Looking at Casitas
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G.

Great. I think they take VISA.
Dangerous!! I thought they were cash only.
PeggyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #56

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Hi Pat...When I bought my current vehicle, I had towing a fiberglass trailer in mind. So, the requirements were
--able to tow about 2000#
--good gas mileage
--low purchase price.
Those requirements got me down to 3 vehicles.
Honda Pilot
Toyota Rav4 V6
Subaru Forester.

The Forester won out because of price. It will tow up to 2400# and I get 19MPG towing, 26MPG w/o the trailer. I got the 2.5 X model that has everything in it I need. It tows my 13' Scamp/bath very well. If I ever think I need to move up to a larger trailer, the Rav4 V6 will be my go to vehicle.

BTW, I was 60 when I got the bright idea I may like to camp. Ya never know until you try it.

Alice

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #57

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Are you too Old? YES

Too old to waste a lot of time fussing about it. Get on with the program as fast you can and you won't regret it. The only regret you'll have is not doing it sooner.
Hope to meet you out on our travels.