Another Amerigo to reconstruct - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #1

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Another Amerigo to reconstruct

Hello, I was a member of the forum a l-o-n-g time ago. Lapsed when I didn't have a glass trailer anymore.

History: Started in 2001 with a 1972 Boler American 13' which I redid (kinda spruced up really, nothing major). We sold that for an Esterel Popup (Cool little French-built trailer). Picked up a PlayPac for a project - gutted and totally rebuilt interior. Sold it cause we just weren't using it. Built a fiberglass baby toy-hauler out of a glass shelled bike hauler trailer at one point - sold it too.

Couple years ago we sold the Esterel and replaced it with a Trailmanor (basically a big fancy pop-up trailer). We're planning on selling that and replacing it with something new soon though (my wife has some health issues which I think are going to interfere with her being able to come along with the Trailmanor).

Anyway... Picked up the Amerigo this Sunday. It's going to require a total gutting - much like the PlayPac did. Picked it up partially just as a project, but also thought it would be fun to have a smaller less-hassle trailer for taking out just one little kid at a time (We have a pair of 7 yr old girls, plus a 19yr old girl and a 20yr old boy) for one-on-one time. My older daughter has already asked if she would be able to use it going camping with her friends too (WIN!)

So, gonna have to wait for warmer weather, but I'll be sure to post photos of this little girls journey back. By the time the weather improves I should hopefully have made some of the early decisions: What floorplan to give it? (yes, it's gonna change at least a little) What wall covering to use? (paneling like originally or ???) replace windows or not?

I mostly don't cook in the trailer - so the oven/hood are going to be going. Might keep a simple water system in it for doing dishes though.
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #2

Name: Chris
Trailer: Amerigo
Utah
Hi Mike,

Glad to hear of another Amerigo owner; and really glad to see we will be doing this rebuild almost parallel to each other - we can definitely help each other out. I have just finished gutting mine, and need to pull up the subfloor next (sorta lost at the moment on how to navigate this one....)

I am tossing around different floor plan ideas right now as well. It's surprising how much room is in this beauty once you have everything out of it and are staring at a blank canvas. I think the best two examples of floor plans I have found (one very similar to the original floor plan mine had demonstrated in a rebuilt condition, and the other is the floor plan that I am leaning towards) are the two Amerigo Liberty Van Companion owners on here (M & M, and can't remember the other user name) check those out. I am really leaning on relocating the kitchen to the back driver side with the bathroom/shower in the front passenger corner as you walk in. I am also leaving out the factory duette and dometic fridge... a bit too old and heavy for my liking, and I figure if I am completely rebuilding it from a blank slate, might as well modernize it while I'm at it. Will be going with just a simple cook top and sink, and then use the fresh water located in the front to supply the kitchen and the shower, which will be adjacent to each other.

Not sure on insulation yet, right now leaning towards rigid foam, but the awkward angles and body shape might make me have to use spray foam.... And I am most definitely going with T&G cedar paneling - huge fan, easy to work with, and looks awesome IMO (I am a fan of the rustic, cozy cabin vibe). Check out Dudley's rebuild, he did his in pine t&g and came out stellar.

Let's stay in touch on our rebuild journey, and when you begin the gut phase, shoot me a message and I can tell you some of the things that were lurking and to be aware of that I didn't know about until I did it.... I will also be posting pics soon after I finish.
cvc0922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #3

It's been a long time since I looked at the Van Companion photos. That really IS just a spiffed up Amerigo isn't it?

Floor plans: I'm debating between a couple. First is essentially the same as the original. Slightly enlarge the front "closet" to form a room for a porta potty. Switch the L shaped lounge into a conventional dinette with 40" cushions (I've already got the cushions... leftovers from the baby toy hauler). Convert the rear dinette into a gaucho bed. So it's got a couch and a dinette during the day and two beds (40" and 48") at night.

The alternative is to go with twin side bunks in the rear which doubles as the dinette (requires moving the road-side cabinet & turning the kitchen into a short closet). Again, slightly larger PP room in front curbside closet. Front road-side corner then becomes an L-shaped counter.

I'm looking at the Van Companion floorplan that puts a dinette in the front with a side bath on the road-side though. That looks appealing, I'd have to draw it out though. I'd probably keep the rear gaucho concept with this one. I really like the option of having a couch to hang out at.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #4

Temperatures have (finally) gotten above freezing and the accumulated snow from 8-10 storms is melting. Yea!

The heavy mildew smell in the Amerigo is also emerging. yea? Just reinforces the view that the thing is a total gut job.

I can see the front window is leaking. Don't know about the others yet. Haven't decided the fate of the windows either. I like the idea of replacing them with new ones ($$$!!!). I'm planning on adding AC to the trailer though, so I could even consider sealing the windows completely. That's the cheapest option.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc0922 View Post
I am also leaving out the factory duette and dometic fridge... a bit too old and heavy for my liking, and I figure if I am completely rebuilding it from a blank slate, might as well modernize it while I'm at it.
Please do not just throw these away. There are likely people, both on this website, and near you, who want your old appliances.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watters View Post
It's been a long time since I looked at the Van Companion photos. That really IS just a spiffed up Amerigo isn't it?
For reference:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post442710
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Mike! Welcome back!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Hi, Mike! Welcome back!!
Hi Back! Some familiar names/avatars still, but lots and lots of new ones since I was a regular!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Mildew smell, yech! I'm glad I didn't get involved with this one. Sounds like you are the right person to put the Go back into this Amerigo!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Mildew smell, yech! I'm glad I didn't get involved with this one. Sounds like you are the right person to put the Go back into this Amerigo!
Mildew? Ha! That will go when I pull the cushions, and the cabinets, and the walls... You get the picture...

I'll be sure to take some pictures when I get a chance. I really need to document the "before" for just how rough the interior is. Absolutely everything in the interior is going away with the exception of the ceiling.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cool, Mike's back! I remember the PlayPac most of all, because of the skylight. How are the TWINS?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Cool, Mike's back! I remember the PlayPac most of all, because of the skylight. How are the TWINS?
Hi Donna! You look like you haven't aged a day!

The skylight in the PlayPac had it's ups and downs. Had to be SUPER careful when I pulled and reinstalled it so I didn't crack the 30 yr old plastic (finding a replacement just wasn't gonna happen). On the upside - it was the only place I could actually stand up straight (I'm a hair over 6' tall - that's one of the big reasons I started asking about bed dimensions way back when - I was realizing that I just wouldn't fit comfortably in a lot of the back beds in eggs... shame). On the downside - it acted like an alarm clock in the morning if you weren't camped in deep shade. I never figured out a way to do a shade for it.

Twins: Prepare for the shock... They're turning 8 this summer. The older kids (I had pictures of them when I was rehabbing the Boler) are now 19 and 20. One's a Freshman in college.

My older daughter is still quite the camper and is actually planning on using the Amerigo when I'm finished. Still loves all sorts of outdoorsy things.

The little girls have been camping since they were 3 or 4 - always out with just me. My wife hasn't been able to go because of her health. Things went south for her shortly after we sold the Esterel and picked up the Trailmanor. Shame - she probably could have managed in the Esterel. I'm not intending the Amerigo to be a 4-person trailer although she'd be able to get in it just fine. We're planning to TRY her going in the Trailmanor this summer (at least testing things in the driveway). I think she won't be able to climb into the bunk ends - but might be OK in the dinette (dropped into a bed). If that works OK for her, we're planning on actually buying something new with a walk-around queen which would be MUCH better for her to get in/out of.

Anyway - the plan for the Amerigo is to make is a nice cozy 2/3 person trailer which is light and easy to take anywhere with any T.V. If I'm just taking out ONE little girl - it might make things easier. It would be a good camper for my older daughter to use too. Mostly of course - it's for the fun of doing it. I have an obviously twisted sense of "fun".

Once I'm able to actually start messing around with it - I'll be able to start nailing some things down, like floorplan. Chief alternatives being: Basically same as now (OK if I can lay down sideways and I'm not too tall for that) OR parallel twin beds (kinda like some folks do with Casita Liberties). I'll do that if I can't fit sideways. If I go with the parallel twins, the current L-lounge location will become counter space and the beds will double as couch/dinette. Either way there will still be two separate sleeping areas.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sounds like quite the plan. And you will post lots of pictures along the way won't you You'll have plenty of help from the twins, maybe more than you want!

Yep, I haven't aged a day in all this time... until I look in the mirror
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #14

Our twin girls enjoying a visitor to the front porch:
Attached Thumbnails
girls with turtle.jpg  

Tags
amerigo, eco