Another new Compact Jr owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: 1989 Dodge B250 Camper Van & 1972 Compact Jr
Colorado
Registry
Another new Compact Jr owner

It seems I am not the only new owner recently, but I wanted to pop in to say hello and introduce myself.

My name is Tim, I live in Colorado, and this would be my second travel trailer but my first fiberglass one. Last year I purchased a small single-axle trailer to tow my Mother around behind my Camper van, but it proved to be too heavy for mountain terain or any real hope of decent MPGs (the van already only get 13 MPG on a good day, and 10 MPG towing).

We sold the trailer (at a 300% profit) after only 3 months of use but have been looking for a fiberglass one ever since. Heck, they are easy enough to find, just at a premium purchase price. We know that we want to tinker on it so a shell was going to do the trick for us. A rebuild was not a big issue as then we could set it up how we want it.

Last week we came upon a 1972 Compact Jr. We had seen one last year in SoCal and fell in love with it's concept. I figured I'd never see another one again, but this one just fell in my lap. We picked it up (we paid too much to ensure it was ours) and gutted it on day-1.

Needless to say, my Mother and I are ready for another road trip once this little guy is ready. It shouldn't take too long, another week tops, and the weather in CO is outstanding!

My build-report forum post
TMcArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #2

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
That will be really interesting to read about your rebuild. Sounds like you are planning on full steam ahead to be ready in a week!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
What's your rebuild plan?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #4

Colorado
Registry
Plan = simple :-)

Although only a single person would be sleeping in it (I have my van) it is possible that my Mother an Aunt will not go on trips together so I planned for sleeping area for two. I removed all but the stove/sink and replaced the single bed with two couches on either side of the trailer that pull out to individual beds... or pull both out for a King-size bed. Both have some storage space underneath. One already has the battery, 10gal water tank, and fuse box filling that space.

The "kitchen" is just getting a re-skin of paneling, but the opposite side will get a fresh counter and storage area since this little guy lacks storage area. Top-front of trailer I plan to install a cubby-hole shelf for additional storage.

I have already gutted it, re-wired both 120v and 12v inside and out, painted the inside, installed both beds, and just finishing up the fiber/bondo patches which allows me to get started on the new cabinet/storage this weekend.

I may have to get a new canvas too, this one is pretty moldy and may not clean up to my liking. We will see.

Then off to go shopping for a porta-potty and solar panel and we are set to go :-)
Old 04-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I would love to see the details of your twin beds as that's one of the things I want to do to my Campster, maybe.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #6

Colorado
Registry
My build report in another forum