Another new user with Subaru towing dreams - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #21

Name: Sunshine33
Trailer: Scamp
Delaware
Registry
Welcome!
We have a Subaru Outback and are pulling a Scamp 13ft. Our Scamp has a toilet, shower, A/C on roof, awning, 54" bed. We love it and have no trouble pulling it. We have electric brakes on the trailer.
Hope you find something you like. Come to a fiberglass rally (they are listed on this site too) and take a look at some different campers.
Ann and Joe
sUNSHINE33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #22

Name: Sunshine33
Trailer: Scamp
Delaware
Registry
Welcome !
Not sure if my reply went through. We pull a 13ft Scamp with our Subaru Outback with no problem. Our Scamp has toilet, shower, 2 burner stove, sink, frig (no freezer), A/C on the roof, awning and 54" bed. It has electric brakes and we have no problem pulling it with the Outback. It will only be for the two of you though. The Scamp 16 has the option of sleeping four, however you are above your towing capacity.
Come to a fiberglass rally and take a look at some different campers and talk to people. The rallies are listed on this site too.
Good luck...you won't be sorry😀
sUNSHINE33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #23

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Towing with a Subaru

Welcome to the forum.

I've been towing a Scamp Deluxe 13 ft with bathroom with my 2002 3.6 Outback over Cascades and Rocky Mountains (OR, WA, BC) for 5 years with no problems...pulls easily. But I don't fill the trailer's water reservoir or carry extra weight such as canned goods in the trailer... and I have trailer brakes.
The 13 footer is OK with 2 people or 1+ dog....

If you're planning a family soon, I suggest you look into a trailer larger than 13 ft and a another brand of a towing vehicle. Others on this forum have provided great advice. One option would be to get a Subaru for a safe, family car, and a used tow vehicle that will pull the larger trailer that will fit your upcoming famiy needs.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:09 AM   #24

Name: Rob
Trailer: Shopping
North Carolina
Nice to know there's a rally soon right here in NC! Any excuse to go to the outer banks is a good one.

Looks like I've got to choose between four people on the inside of a 13', or two in, two out with a bathroom. Narrowing it down!

Could anyone recommend a good portable toilet or shower? For simplicity's sake it seems like this would be a good compromise to accept. My brother lived out of a camper for awhile so I do know the potential horrors of indoor trailer plumbing.
RobTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:18 AM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree (about RV plumbing). Given the same two alternatives I would do the same. Oh wait... I already did- a Scamp 13 without bath for four people!

I don't have experience with a porta-potty or enclosure, since my wife unequivocally vetoed the idea in favor of campgrounds with facilities, but there are lots of choices. Your big decision will be whether to get one small enough to fit in the enclosure Scamp provides (pretty small) or a larger one to last longer when camping away from facilities. The Thetford Curve seems to be well-recommended for a larger unit, but it's pricey.

I recently saw one clever, inexpensive hack for a backcountry shower: a pressure sprayer meant for applying pesticides or weed control. Heat a little water on the stove, mix it with cold water to take the chill off, pump and go.

A lot depends on how long you plan to be out without facilities. I camp with three females and we can easily last 3-4 days on sponge baths. When I had longer hair (many years ago!) I could wash it in a basin. Full hot body showers are a modern luxury, not a necessity.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:26 AM   #26

North Carolina
Thanks for the insight, Jon. I can't even call myself a rookie with 0 hours of experience under my belt, but knowing you have a family of four getting along happily in a 13' gives me confidence.

I think once the wife and I start seriously discussing this it will be an easy choice. Whatever makes her happy on the road makes me happy

This whole dream is probably 1-2 years out for us, but I like feeling prepared for every option.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:26 AM   #27

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I don't know how much difference there is between portable toilets, but if you are going to keep it in a privacy tent outside, consider the Thetford Curve or another taller one. It's a lot easier to get up and down from a normal-height toilet. Some of the smaller ones are pretty short. Holding tanks are usually 2.5-5 gallons. A full 2.5 is easily carried, a full 5 gallon would weigh >40 lbs, but you'd have to empty the former twice as often. (More of an issue for a family than for a single person, but also depends on how you use it.) Look for one with a pouring spout from the waste tank as it will be cleaner to empty. Most of the non-bathroom trailers come with a cabinet intended for the portapotti but the taller ones may not fit so I'd wait for the trailer first.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #28

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Check Zodi for better quality outdoor showers that last more than one trip. I would also consider a tankless on demand water heater as an alternative. You want a propane version. It could be set up for most likely outdoor use. When it gets too cold outside, plan B is campground showers.

Zodi Portable Instant Hot Showers | Zodi SAFE Tent Heaters | Free Shipping * on Orders over $100 | Zodi.com
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #29

North Carolina
Thanks for the suggests everyone

I feel like I've almost got enough puzzle pieces to put together a whole picture now.

I'm also starting to eye other options for towing like the Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander... Hopefully Subaru will counter well with the new Ascent before I have to change my identity. I used to own a Subaru and loved it more than anything. I didn't think it would ever be possible to get it out of my system.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTs View Post
Thanks for the suggests everyone

I feel like I've almost got enough puzzle pieces to put together a whole picture now.

I'm also starting to eye other options for towing like the Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander... Hopefully Subaru will counter well with the new Ascent before I have to change my identity. I used to own a Subaru and loved it more than anything. I didn't think it would ever be possible to get it out of my system.
I used to have a thing for air-cooled Volkswagens.

But, I got over it!

Anymore, it seems I buy vehicles, not brands. Features, opportunity, price, different needs, it can take you all over the map. Most recently, my planned Audi Q7 became a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's complicated.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #31

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have been happily towing my 13' Burro with a 2014 manual 4 cylinder Outback. There are never more than two adults, mostly just me and stuff for one person. I would not want to have an actual trailer bathroom in this mix because

(a) the trailer is already small and making the living space smaller is not appealing - we use campground bathrooms when available and the weeds when camping off grid and it's all good.
(b) the trailer is small! bathrooms can get stinky, and stinky in a small space...no thanks.
(c) it's weight I don't want to add to the car's load.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote