Anyone tow with a Sienna van? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2015, 05:52 AM   #21

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
I towed our EggCamper 17' with a 2002 Sienna, then later with a 2011 Sienna. The 2002 had the 3.3L engine, the 2011 had a 3.5L engine. They both did fine, even through NH mountains. The advertised weight of the EggCamper was just over 2000#. I added transmission coolers to both vans and had to add air-lifts to the 2011. Although I never weighed it, my mods to the egg probably added a couple hundred pounds to the dry weight. The 2011 Sienna had less ground clearance than the earlier 2002 Sienna.

Heads-up - I'm not sure about the 2006, but when I added the transmission cooler to the 2011, I learned that the transmission was a sealed unit and I had to return to the dealer to top off the fluid after the after-market cooler was installed. That trip cost about $100 for 1.5 pints of world-class transmission fluid. But even though, I wouldn't tow without a transmission cooler. Transmissions are much more expensive.
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:10 AM   #22
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
That is interesting about the 06 tranny being sealed. Our 04 is not.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:13 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Fluid is added through the disptick tube, just like on my Highlander (same transmission).
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:24 AM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
Ontario
I tow my Boler 13' with a 2011 Sienna. I was looking for a bigger trailer at one point and was told I needed the towing package. According to the manual the tow weigh for the Sienna is 1500 lbs and 3500 lbs with the towing package and class 2 hitch with electric brakes etc. So, went to the local toyota dealer and was informed that mine had the tow package. As the Boler 13' is less than 1500 lb, electric brakes are not required nor is the class 2 hitch. But If you have no hitch, go right to the class 2 right away. I barely even know I am towing a small Boler with this van. I'd recomend it highly as a small trailer Tow vehicle.
slimmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:43 AM   #25

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Wayne,
It was the 2011 that had the sealed transmission. I don't know what they did in 2006. Also, with the sealed transmission, there is no dipstick. It's completely sealed and as near as I can tell the dealer topped it off at the transmission.

Tim,
Incidentally, I ordered the 2011 with the tow package, which was a joke. It consisted of an engine oil cooler. That's it; there is no hitch receiver, no hitch wiring, and no wiring for a brake controller. Which is probably why you didn't realize that yours had a tow package. From all outward (and some inward) appearances, you can't tell if there is a tow package.

But the van was nice.
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #26
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Funny thing about these sealed or restricted trannys these days.

Our 03 Infiniti came with a tranny dip stick tube but just had a cap screwed to the top of it. No dipstick

Got on the Infiniti forum and the boys there listed a part number for the dip stick so drove down to the dealer and bought one for $10. bucks. All is well.

BTW.... our G35 has no tow pkg. The tow pro's who set up the car added a tranny cooler, brake controller, HD 2" receiver/platform, and wiring.
Works good.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #27

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Ron, thanks for the heads-up, and everyone who contributed to the discussion regarding the transmissions and coolers, and towing packages (of all sorts!). I appreciate it very much! It is so encouraging to know that whatever question I may have, there is someone here with experience who either knows the right answer or will point me in the right direction to get the answer!
Thanks again, everyone.
Tonie
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #28

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
Ontario
When I bought mine it was used with a class 1 hitch with wiring. Seems odd to install a class 1 when a class 2 would have been better. I love my van and when the time arises and a larger trailer is in the works, I'll get the new hitch, wiring and electric brake controller installed. Estimate for that was about $600-700. I'll stick with my baby Boler. Love it for its size and towability.
slimmit is offline   Reply With Quote