Trailer: 1975 Boler
Washington
Aprilís 1975 Boler

Click image for larger version

Name:	8131672A-E151-4B5B-AF0D-11159A92EB3F.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	134091
Hi! I just bought a 1975 Boler! Iím excited to get started on it but Iím not sure where to start. I have so many questions. I would like to get underneath it and make sure itís safe first, anybody have some suggestions or tips?

AprilDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #2

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
Make sure good tires, wheel bearings and trailer lights work, clean up the interior and go camping for a couple nights would be my normal suggestion.
In these times,,,, maybe in the back yard.
Once those things are done I'm sure other ideas will show themselves.
Fred

Old 04-23-2020, 07:18 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape21 DeJa View pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Rotated picture and welcome to our small world....
Attached Thumbnails
8131672A-E151-4B5B-AF0D-11159A92EB3F.jpg  
Old 04-23-2020, 07:43 AM   #4

Name: April
Washington
Thanks!

Thanks for fixing my photo I am still pretty lost on the site. Have a beautiful day!
Old 04-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #5

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Welcome to the Boler clan. I'll be following closely as you work things through. I agree with the short list of: tires, wheel bearings, suspension, lights and a good clean inside. Judging from the photo that you probably need a door catch. Once cleaned up inside, the suggestion to camp in it is a good one so that you can locate any leaks and start a list of items that need fixing. That was how we got our little egg up and running. With the exception of this year, we have been on the road for seven-plus years. We have owned it for 9 years. Two years were dedicated to getting it de-tarred (bought from a hunter who smoked and abused the lovely egg.

I will dig around my notes for the things that we needed to do to make our egg livable and send them to you.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #6

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
Welcome and congratulations. Take time and poke around this form and you will find all kinds of answers.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilDawn View Post
Hi! I just bought a 1975 Boler! I’m excited to get started on it but I’m not sure where to start. I have so many questions. I would like to get underneath it and make sure it’s safe first, anybody have some suggestions or tips?
As mentioned, tires, bearings, axle, DOT lights.. all important.
And dont neglect the tow vehicle.. lots to consider.
Then when you know its safe to tow.. how about the appliances and propane (if it has propane). How about the electrical systems (if they exist). And then there are the myriad of other issues that one can expect such as water leaks (plumbing and mother nature). And thats just a start.

If...
Quote:
... I’m not sure where to start. I have so many questions. ...
Then I suggest you try to find someone locally to come look it over. Someone who has years of experience with camping trailers. Its best if that person knows about Bolers and similar campers but not a requirement since all campers share some similarities. Nothing beats an in-person examination.

In fact there is one guy I know of who would be perfect.. but that wont happen. Still, you can learn a lot from him at: Complete Guide to 13 foot Boler Fiberglass Trailers
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:27 PM   #8

Washington
Wow! 7 years on the road I am so grateful and happy to know I will have help from so many people, so thank you. I can't wait to have a camp out in it. I just threw away all the cushions, they were pretty smelly, and I think I am going to skip the kithcen table and just have a bed on that side, I am thinking a foam one is gonna be my only option?? I will post some pics, where is the best place to do that?
Old 04-23-2020, 10:30 PM   #9

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Frye View Post
Welcome and congratulations. Take time and poke around this form and you will find all kinds of answers.
Thank you, I can see I have a lot of studying to do. I am exited for this adventure
Old 04-23-2020, 10:39 PM   #10

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
As mentioned, tires, bearings, axle, DOT lights.. all important.
And dont neglect the tow vehicle.. lots to consider.
Then when you know its safe to tow.. how about the appliances and propane (if it has propane). How about the electrical systems (if they exist). And then there are the myriad of other issues that one can expect such as water leaks (plumbing and mother nature). And thats just a start.

If...
Then I suggest you try to find someone locally to come look it over. Someone who has years of experience with camping trailers. Its best if that person knows about Bolers and similar campers but not a requirement since all campers share some similarities. Nothing beats an in-person examination.

In fact there is one guy I know of who would be perfect.. but that wont happen. Still, you can learn a lot from him at: Complete Guide to 13 foot Boler Fiberglass Trailers
All those things are swirling around my head and how much $$ it is going to cost. A lot of it actually looks in good shape. Making it safe and usable is my goal for this year. It looks like there is a small amount of damage on the edges of the main floor, the previous owner said it happened after a big 6ft snow we had a few years back. so it is a little wonky but seems stable. I am in Spokane and really do want to take it somewhere and get a overall opinion from a professional as soon as I can. Who is your guy? Thanks for the link I will check it out!
Old 04-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #11

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Make sure good tires, wheel bearings and trailer lights work, clean up the interior and go camping for a couple nights would be my normal suggestion.
In these times,,,, maybe in the back yard.
Once those things are done I'm sure other ideas will show themselves.
Fred
Hi, I am not sure if I messaged you back yet...lol. It definitely needs new tires, My friend is already cleaning up the original hub caps. I will need some new foam I guess, and then I will be camping out in the backyard! I also need a door handle and lock. there are a couple in the trailer but I am not sure if they even belong to it. I will post pics when I figure out where
Old 04-23-2020, 11:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Sent you a PM regarding cushions.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:24 AM   #13

Washington
Boler door hinge repair kit

Hi all! Thanks to everybody for the awesome welcome! I am still trying to figure out how to post pictures right side up, write messages, where to send them, what a threat is LOL
My door is off a little, I am about to buy a hinge repair quick kit. Is that the right thing to do? There is some cracking around the hinge holes, I havenít taken them off yet to see what kind of shape the hole is in. I am also missing the doorhandles, somebody cut the hole bigger than it should be. There are a couple vintage door locks and handles that came with it but Iím not sure if they actually go with it. I would send pictures if I could LOL
I was looking at the replica replacement kit. Is that my best option?
Attached Thumbnails
38CC7EEA-37D1-4D7E-A092-18F33AFA63EB.jpg   D5DEB8D6-BBA3-4049-BFFF-D3D102FC265F.jpg  

Old 04-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #14

Kootenay's of BC
Registry
Sounds as though you need some fiberglass repair.
Without pics its hard to give advice.
How did you get the top pic on the board?
Fred
Old 04-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #15

Washington
Added pics

I added some hing pics and here are some door pics
Attached Thumbnails
4BDA2695-D9DE-443A-B5F1-D0CA783C7040.jpg   0702B805-0BAA-43BD-9CA3-509232E8CE7B.jpg  

Old 04-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #16

Kootenay's of BC
Registry
So April how do you feel about learning to work with fiberglass?
The door should be rebuilt at the latch and probably reinforced at the hinges ,,,
IMO.
'Glass isn't that hard to work with but you would need a little practise.
Search YouTube to get an idea of what's required.
Heres one that gives the basics of start to finish.
These steps will be required on most repairs

There are some great how to threads here too.
Hoping you update on progress
Fred
Old 04-26-2020, 07:27 AM   #17

Almonte, Ontario
Hi April,
As for Fibreglass repair, check around to see if anyone in your area carries West System products and literature. They do fibreglass products for the marine industry but a Boler is the same thing that is on wheels. I used their products to restore the fibreglass integrity around door hinges and elsewhere using their boat restoration guidelines. Knew nothing before I began and now jump in with both feet to do repairs and add-ones.
The handle door handle looks like the original and could be probably restored if all the parts are there. You will need to restore the opening for the handle using a fibreglass repair. A good starter fibreglass exercise. West System has all the materials that will do this. The other door lock looks like it might have been the intended replacement for the original. Personally, I replaced my handle with a flush mount handle since I have issues with hooks on the outside of moving objects. Old Health and Safety officer issues.
I went to a local furniture repair store with a template of the cushions and had them make a new set of cushions with a very decent foam. The new Boler cushions are more comfortable than my bed in the guest room.
It is evident that most of the contributors on this site are prepared to tackle the issues that arise from their “new” purchases. Glad that you are with us. Best of luck. Keep us posted.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:57 PM   #18

Washington
I am ready and willing to work with the fiberglass, I’m actually excited about it when I was a kid I watch my dad redo the whole bottom of the boat. Thanks for the tips I’ll keep you updated on my progress.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:35 PM   #19

Kootenay's of BC
Registry
Quote:
I am ready and willing to work with the fiberglass, Iím actually excited about it when I was a kid I watch my dad redo the whole bottom of the boat. Thanks for the tips Iíll keep you updated on my progress.
Your attitude is exciting to read!!
Imo, don't "learn" on your boler start with a small project, maybe a 8 to 10 inch square piece of thin plywood with a 2 inch hole in it. Get a good feel for the process and go for it!!
Best of luck
Fred
Old 05-02-2020, 09:16 AM   #20

Almonte, Ontario
Fibreglass repair resource

Here is the Holy Grail (or at least the first clue) to fibreglass repair.

I have the physical copies since I can't spend much time in front of computer screens when I'm reading and trying to learn. The books are: Fibreglass Boat Repair & Maintenance; Gelcoat Blisters-Diagnosis, Repair & Prevention; West System User Manual & Product Guide. However, the link that I have included is. the all-encompassing guide to doing what we FGRVs do.

https://www.westsystem.com/wp-conten...anual-2015.pdf

Since you are faced with having to rebuild the door where the old handle came out, why not seek out a new handle to fit the space. I bought a flush RV handle and made adaptations. I like the look and also the fact that it does not protrude out.

I'll add a picture of the handle and the installation which is still in progress when I get back out to the Boler with a camera.

Tags
boler