Back again - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #21

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Jack, I suggest that you add two arms to those mirrors; one forward, one down. ( like the spot mirrors on Big Rigs) It will cut down on the shakes.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Once you've tried the cheap stuff and gotten frustrated, take a serious look at the Hensley McKesh mirrors. Not cheap, but work wonderful, especially with the extra convex spot mirrors. I wouldn't think of towing with a narrow vehicle (Taco in my case) without them.
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #23

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Welcome back Jack.
We also tow with a Wrangler, and am on our second Scamp and 2nd Wrangler (now 07 Rubicon). We have found that wind resistance would just fold the add-on mirrors on our TJ back against the vehicle, and would move them out of alignment whenever we closed the doors. I tried tightening the adjustment on the original mirrors to stop this, but it didn't work. Since we are now able to see down the sides of the Scamp with our stock JK mirrors, we have found the BEST thing to use to see behind us, was a hard wired back-up camera on all the time, mounted inside the Scamp, looking out the rear window. We had tried several of the wireless type in various locations, but it had a lot of interference. I even use one on the Jeep when not towing, as my 37" spare tire blocks seeing out the rear view mirror (I mounted the monitor right on/over the face of the original rear view mirror.
Good luck on what works best for you.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dave,

Suggesting any brands?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #25

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Dave,

Suggesting any brands?
Norm,
I purchased the one posted on this site by someone who found a great deal on ebay. It is a PYLE VIEW PLCM35R that came with a 3.5" TFT LCD monitor/Night vision rear-view camera. I had already been using a wireless back-up that had a 7" screen, with dual input ability, so I can switch from the trailer camera when hooked up, and over to the Jeep's wireless camera for driving with-out the trailer.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #26

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Registry
X2 on the Hensley McKesh mirrors. I was able to get mine while they were on sale. I have great views all around the trailer and they make backing into a site easy.
Karen L W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #27

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
Just wait till you guys see what I've come up with for a "plan!"
If it works out I will puff up and boast.... if not, er, well than I'll never mention it again... but at any rate, it will be a week, maybe longer, before I know..

Bought a Honda EU 2000i today at Sportsman's Warehouse... $999.99
jack smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #28

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
My TV is about the same 05 unlimited and I've got and use the Grand Aero add on mirrors cost the more but work great for me. I mount them to the top and out side edge. with them you can adjust them and regular mirrors at different angles. One of the ways to cut down on door vs mirror is to un hook and twist the door strap (TJs YJs) rehook strap. I've tried suction cup ones and the clip on ones don't like them. My Scamps 2010 16 deluxe. FYI my mirrors are mounted on the body not the doors. I think The suction cup may damage factory mirror if something hit it.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #29

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post
My TV is about the same 05 unlimited and I've got and use the Grand Aero add on mirrors cost the more but work great for me. I mount them to the top and out side edge. with them you can adjust them and regular mirrors at different angles. One of the ways to cut down on door vs mirror is to un hook and twist the door strap (TJs YJs) rehook strap. I've tried suction cup ones and the clip on ones don't like them. My Scamps 2010 16 deluxe. FYI my mirrors are mounted on the body not the doors. I think The suction cup may damage factory mirror if something hit it.
Hi Darrell, well we'll see how my mirror "experiment" works out... but curious how you like towing the 16 ft Scamp with your '05 unlimited? I'm almost afraid to ask about your mileage.... Auto or manual transmission?
Any sway? etc? would love to hear anything you wish to report!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #30

Oregon
Darrell, I just researched these mirrors.... very much like the "invention" that I have in mind! If my plan doesn't work I will buy these!
Thanks for your input!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Our 40 year old mirrors

We bought these universal mirrors about 1972 when we bought our sailboat. They originally were mounted on a Toyota Crown!

Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC2230.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	55472

BTW they do vibrate. Congratulations on your new baby.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #32

Oregon
Well, I just cancelled my order for the "universal mirrors" and ordered the Grand Aero set... based on some of your inputs, and the fact that they actually look like they will work... <fingers crossed> I shouldn't have to extend them very much... and I don't drive all that fast, so we'll see!

My Jeep is currently down at the RV dealers () and they are installing brake controller, charging and light connections, (part of the deal) so by tomorrow at the latest I should be in business. Probably a week before I get the mirrors.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #33

Alabama
I did get a WT dist. hitch for mine but I didn't want the bar one. I got a Anderson Wt Dist hitch that uses chains. After towing from Huntsville Al. to Ocala Fl. last year, without it was not good (large SUVs passing..). after the Anderson can tow and about forget I'm towing. I've not noticed much change in MPG. Its not like the best vehicle for MPG. Try to not get higher than E10 gas your MPG and power will suck very bad. I can tell when I get it, even when some gas stations state that is the mix is (E10) I've found out different. My "LJ" is a 6 speed and has tuffy rear drawer, currently have on the hard top. I found I lose MPG with hard top and gear loaded in Jeep. The tow wiring is a plug and play set up with just having to plug in the wire harness in under left corner fender. The brake control wiring was just running the wire from Battery, there was factory plugs on mine for about all of it. Tomorrow morning if its not raining I'll try to take a few photos to post.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #34

Oregon
Darrell, Just checked out the Anderson hitch... which model do you have, and why chains vs. bars? Also curious as to how you mounted your mirrors on the body??
Yes, gas mileage is not good! I have got ~19 on the road, usually get ~13 in town. E10 is about all that is, here in Oregon unless one wants to pay $4.60 for ethanol free 92 octane, lol.
Maybe your photos will shed some light.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #35

Alabama
Sorry I got up to late to snap some photos today before work. I went with the one with chains on a recomendation from a RV store employee. He worked in service Dept.and had used many different types. No prying up bars and it adjusts the Wt Dist with a socket on a ratchet. I can level the jeep and no swaying at any safe speed.
http://www.andersenhitches.com/Produ...-brackets.aspx
I didn't pay quite that much due to them being a Distibutor of them and it was added it to a large order for the parts department.
gas around here shot up about $.55 more in 56 days I can understand.
The mirrors I got attach on to the factory mirrors, I installed "mirror mover brackets from Quadratec. mine didn't have the replacement strap.
Quadratec Exclusive USDZ-01 - Quadratec Mirror Relocation Bracket Kit for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec
this one dont have the straps. Quadratec Part No: 13025.1312 and cost less. Rugged Ridge 11025 - Rugged Ridge Mirror Movers in Black for 03-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec
I mount the Aero Mirror brackets one on top of mirror and the other one to outside edge.
I can feel for you on having jeep at RV dealership.. I installed my wiring and brake controller. I don't like other people working on my stuff though.
Attached Thumbnails
Anderson hitch.jpg   37061-add1-lg.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #36

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post
Sorry I got up to late to snap some photos today before work. I went with the one with chains on a recomendation from a RV store employee. He worked in service Dept.and had used many different types. No prying up bars and it adjusts the Wt Dist with a socket on a ratchet. I can level the jeep and no swaying at any safe speed.
http://www.andersenhitches.com/Produ...-brackets.aspx
I didn't pay quite that much due to them being a Distibutor of them and it was added it to a large order for the parts department.
gas around here shot up about $.55 more in 56 days I can understand.
The mirrors I got attach on to the factory mirrors, I installed "mirror mover brackets from Quadratec. mine didn't have the replacement strap.
Quadratec Exclusive USDZ-01 - Quadratec Mirror Relocation Bracket Kit for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec
this one dont have the straps. Quadratec Part No: 13025.1312 and cost less. Rugged Ridge 11025 - Rugged Ridge Mirror Movers in Black for 03-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec
I mount the Aero Mirror brackets one on top of mirror and the other one to outside edge.
I can feel for you on having jeep at RV dealership.. I installed my wiring and brake controller. I don't like other people working on my stuff though.
I just picked up the Jeep and the Scamp from the RV dealer. They installed the brake controller, 7 pin socket and checked everything out.... none of this cost me anything "extra" as it was all included in the deal I struck with them... actually think I made out really well, given that the Scamp is absolutely like brand new!
(I actually don't think they realized just how hot of an item it was.... until they started getting calls from all over the PNW from folks wanting to buy it, this was after I had finalized the deal.... they had just got it that morning on trade for a gigantic trailer... as the gentleman's wife wanted more comfort! )

After getting home and it was fun backing it into my yard, lol.... without being able to see very well with only the stock mirrors! (now I understand what you were saying about the door hitting your mirrors.... mine are still mounted on the doors) It's also clear that I will need the weight dist. setup, as there is a little bit of sag... and that's with nothing in the Scamp or loaded in the Jeep. I think I can get the Andersen hitch setup for less than $400 online with free shipping...
I'll write more tomorrow.... busy reading "various instruction sheets" and having a cold beer to celebrate!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #37

Alabama
hitch cost

You can I got mine for less than list 'll price. Here is with the mirrors mounted. Unluckly my XJs tow wiring was messed up when I got it.
FYI
I've been a full-timer in mine for over 2 years now.
Attached Thumbnails
20130228_092341.jpg   20130228_092501.jpg  

20130228_092519.jpg   20130228_092541.jpg  

Old 03-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #38

Alabama
Any thing new?
Old 03-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #39

Oregon
Yes indeed! I now have the Andersen hitch, and the Grand Aero mirrors. Just got the hitch hooked up yesterday but haven't tried it out yet as I've been busy with other stuff. Sweet installation for both!
The mirrors give a somewhat "distorted" view... but you don't need it perfect... just need to see if there's something LARGE in the way!

Thanks for your input I'll post some pictures next time I have everything hooked up.

I do have my hitch receiver pointed "up" ... as my Jeep is at stock height.