Back again - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
Talking Back again

Hello!
Well, I was "here" back in '07 and shopping for a fiberglass little trailer.... as I was in Alaska at the time I was unable to find anything. So, I bought a teardrop. After a few camping trips it became clear that I was too old to deal with a teardrop! Next was a Winnebago and it was too big! So.... just this morning I finalized a "horse trade" and finally, after all these years... have got my hands on a 16' Scamp!!! It's a 2011 with side dinette and front bath.... just the floorplan that I wanted! This little Scamp is just like new!
Anyway, just wanted to say howdy! My dog and I are anxious to hit the local trails here in southern Oregon.... and beyond.

jack smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #2

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Glad you made it back! Very nice scamp. With all the amenities like the bathroom I think the scamp 16 has got to be the lightest of trailers. Must tow real nice.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
welcome back, jack! your journey to your scamp sounds like an interesting one! i know you will be more than thrilled with your new purchase.

all good things come to those who wait.

happy camping!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #4

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 19' 1977 BIGGAR
British Columbia
Hi Jack!

Isn't it great to get just what you want... even if it takes a while! I don't I've ever seen the 16 scamp in that layout! Hope to see you at a gathering some time!

Clayton
Old 02-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Southern Oregon!

My old stompin' grounds...where ya gonna start?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
So the winding trail brought you back to the FG world Welcome!! Be sure and share your travels with us, and happy camping times!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #7

Oregon
Many thanks!

Thank you folks for the warm welcome! Yes indeed, the journey to the Scamp was long, but fun filled all the way! (...Well, except for potty calls when camping in the teardrop...) The little rv fits like an old pair of shoes! I will be towing it with my '05 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited after having a brake controller installed early next week. Still trying to locate some "decent" mirror extensions.... which as far as I can tell are non existent for a Wrangler. I may have to "rig something."
I'll be going to bed very shortly.... couldn't sleep last night! (just like on Christmas Eve when I was a boy, lol)
Thanks again
Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Tow-n-see mirror attaches to your mirror by a suction cup that actually holds it on at 75 mph ( maybe more ) and on rough roads. It will attach to any existing mirror. Little vibration.

Tow-N-See Towing Mirror - Flat - Camco RV 25663 - Mirrors - Camping World
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #9

Registry
I use these strap-on tow mirrors, which fit just about any stock mirror, work great and cost ten bucks apiece.

And it's a good thing they're cheap, since I lost one last fall by clipping it off against a bush during a wild ride up out of the boonies in the California mountains!

Francesca

Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hit the road Jack.... and don't you come back for more no more sounds like a neat tune?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #11

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
What a great story, glad you found the perfect one and can start camping in style!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #12

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Tow-n-see mirror attaches to your mirror by a suction cup that actually holds it on at 75 mph ( maybe more ) and on rough roads. It will attach to any existing mirror. Little vibration.

Tow-N-See Towing Mirror - Flat - Camco RV 25663 - Mirrors - Camping World
I admit to being very skeptical about these! ... Although reviews support your claim that they don't fall off, most say that the passenger side mirror doesn't extend far enough out. (However it may be OK for the Scam as the reviewers were possibly towing wider trailers?) May give them a try as they have them locally at Fred Meyer.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #13

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hit the road Jack.... and don't you come back for more no more sounds like a neat tune?
That was my "theme song" ...back in the day!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #14

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
What a great story, glad you found the perfect one and can start camping in style!
I confess to never feeling quite right in the Winnebago, lol.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #15

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I use these strap-on tow mirrors, which fit just about any stock mirror, work great and cost ten bucks apiece.

And it's a good thing they're cheap, since I lost one last fall by clipping it off against a bush during a wild ride up out of the boonies in the California mountains!

Francesca

They have a variety of those... but I confess to not finding them, uh, all that pleasing to the eye. Do they vibrate?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #16

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by calindor View Post
Hi Jack!

Isn't it great to get just what you want... even if it takes a while! I don't I've ever seen the 16 scamp in that layout! Hope to see you at a gathering some time!

Clayton
It is floor plan #6.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack smith View Post
I admit to being very skeptical about these! ... Although reviews support your claim that they don't fall off, most say that the passenger side mirror doesn't extend far enough out. (However it may be OK for the Scam as the reviewers were possibly towing wider trailers?) May give them a try as they have them locally at Fred Meyer.
Just my experience, and FYI:

The suction cup mirrors were the first thing I tried, and in my case at least I found that they wouldn't stay adjusted and vibrated badly. This might only be specific to my car's electric-adjustable mirror type, to which they were attached....

I returned them and haven't had the same problem with the strap-ons, perhaps because they're attached to the more rigid body of the car mirror rather than to the glass.

Francesca
Old 02-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I've been through a number of add on mirrors, and while not the least expensive, my favorites by far are the Grand Aero mirrors.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've replaced my Tow n See mirrors with the Grand Aero ( haven't actually used them yet ), but they are very pricey ( about 4 times the price ). One advantage of the G Aero is that there is no suction cup covering up part of the OEM mirror.
With Tow n See, I had no vibration issues with the driver side mirror, and I could see just fine in the passenger side mirror with the Escape 17 behind. My problem with the passenger side mirror was that I never managed to focus on the image in just a glance. Always took a couple seconds to isolate the image in the mirror.
On the driver side, I didn't have that problem.
I don't think it is anything to do with the Tow n See mirror, but I'm hoping that the Aero allows me to use the passenger side mirror without taking my eyes off the road ahead for too long.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #20

Oregon
Francesca, Jon and Glen,

Thanks for your input! I pondered all morning and actually came up with a plan similar to those Grand Aero mirrors. I have in mind fabricating some brackets that will fit under the bottom (with epoxy) and buying those "old time" telescoping units that I can slide back and forth in the brackets as well as being totally removed. Haven't "worked out all the details yet" but being sort of a tinkerer... I'll have a shot at it.
Here's a link to the mirrors I have in mind:

CIPA Replacement Extendable Side Mirror for Jeep - Black-Finished Steel - Driver or Passenger Side CIPA Custom Towing Mirrors CM49704

The price looks good too! (and my labor is cheap!)

Here's the Jeep mirror... the flat part along the bottom of the arm looks perfect for improvised brackets: