Barb in toronto...new member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #1

Name: Barb
Trailer: currently shopping
Ontario
Barb in toronto...new member

I have been lurking for a bit...I learned a lot about FG and definitely want one. I purchased a 22.5 ft Minnie Winnie last year (2002). I love it and the lay out...but the maintenance with 2 engines is a silly thing for me. I thought a contained unit would be safer if someone tried to get in...I could just drive off. I also did not want to buy a truck...I currently drive a Toyota Matrix. The forum has been a great place to learn about these trailers. I was allowed to attend a rally in May and that is where I met some wonderful people and these great trailers. Thanks!Barb
Barb in Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #2

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Your Matrix is a Toyota Corolla with a modified body and is not designed as a tow vehicle. Small 4 cyl engine built for economy. If you move into a fiberglass trailer you will also have to buy a proper tow vehicle. Take your time and do the research so you end up with the proper combination of tow vehicle and trailer to suit your life style.

Good Luck and Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Hi Barb
Welcome to the fiberglass community. I hope you'll find it to your liking.
I'm from Toronto and still visit the region regularly. a few years ago I discovered Toronto has its own campgrounds and I've camped at Glen Rouge in the East end a couple of times recently. It's a surprising gem and so convenient. I gather it's on the way to being transferred to Parks Canada and I hope it continues to maintain it's standards.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Hi Barb, from another 'Ontario-io-ioan' in the Halibuton Highlands.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Is that anywhere near Haliburton? LOL
Nice country.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb in Toronto View Post
I also did not want to buy a truck...I currently drive a Toyota Matrix. The forum has been a great place to learn about these trailers. I was allowed to attend a rally in May and that is where I met some wonderful people and these great trailers. Thanks!Barb
Hi Barb. We are just across the lake from you in Niagara. I lived in TO and worked at the U of T in Toronto back in the 70's.

Anyway now I just get to look at the big city from our window and that is close enough...LOL

The nice thing about the small egg trailers is that it doesn't take much to tow them. It's also nice to drive a fuel efficent vehicle when not towing, which tends to be most of the time. Many forum members tow with 4 cyl vehicles. Do some research to review all your options.
Attached Thumbnails
VW trailer.jpg   Lake 002.jpg  

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:41 AM   #7

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
Hi Barb,

I used to own a Matrix and did some towing with it. Sure you can't tow too much but it can be done without damaging the Matrix. We towed the popup trailer to Elliott Lake and back. We towed the Thompson trailer from Listowel back to Burlington - the Matrix managed this tow but it would be too big on a regular basis. We upgraded to a slightly larger Rav4 and tow a Trillium with it. See you at a future rally.

Phil

Old 08-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I fund several references on-line for the Matrix that indicate that some years had a 1500 lb. towing limit Look in the owners manual for your Matrix and let us know what that indicates. If you don't have the original manual let us know what year your Matrix was built as.

While 1500 lbs is somewhat limiting, there are a number of viable options. We towed several different FGRV's with 4 cylinder Honda CRV and were able to stay under it's 1500 lb town limit.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #9

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
A maximum total loaded weight of 1,500 pounds would severely limit your selection of hard sided travel trailers and put maximum stress on your tow vehicle thereby shortening its life.

As always the smart solution is to find what you like and then select a tow vehicle that will do the job of towing it with a margin for safety.

Happy Safe Camping.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #10
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
A maximum total loaded weight of 1,500 pounds would severely limit your selection of hard sided travel trailers and put maximum stress on your tow vehicle thereby shortening its life.
Maybe, maybe not so much. Depends on the mechanical make up of the vehicle. More investigation into the vehicle needs to be done. Most of us are aware the "tow rating" is not much of a reliable format to determine longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
As always the smart solution is to find what you like and then select a tow vehicle that will do the job of towing it with a margin for safety.
Happy Safe Camping.
Sure, in a perfect world that is what you would do but in many cases the "run what you brung" idea can certainly work.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Maybe, maybe not so much. Depends on the mechanical make up of the vehicle. More investigation into the vehicle needs to be done. Most of us are aware the "tow rating" is not much of a reliable format to determine longevity.

Sure, in a perfect world that is what you would do but in many cases the "run what you brung" idea can certainly work.
I do not think that "Most of Us", would agree with your characterization of our beliefs about tow ratings. At last count I believe a statement like "The Five of Us", would be more accurate.

Please don't speak for the group when you don't represent us.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:32 PM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Ahh it seems that any mention of a vehicle results in a "tow rating debate" even if no one said they planned to tow with it.

It's so interesting to me that you are coming from a Minnie Winnie to an egg camper. I had suspected that most people buying eggs were, like me, coming from a pop-up camper (or tents) but maybe that is wrong. Motorhomes, like boats, are big expenses.. and a smaller fiberglass trailer is much more financially friendly (but still an expense).

So tell us what trailer you are looking at? Escape maybe? Perhaps only the 13 footers might work with your car (subject to further research) but coming from a 22+ footer I would think you would want a 16 or 17. I found the 13 footer a little cramped for even one person.

Welcome and GL in your search.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:03 AM   #13

Ontario
thanks Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Hi Barb
Welcome to the fiberglass community. I hope you'll find it to your liking.
I'm from Toronto and still visit the region regularly. a few years ago I discovered Toronto has its own campgrounds and I've camped at Glen Rouge in the East end a couple of times recently. It's a surprising gem and so convenient. I gather it's on the way to being transferred to Parks Canada and I hope it continues to maintain it's standards.

Walt
I sent a reply to your post after the thread...I am new to this so...excuse
me. I have been struggling with using the site.

How long have you had your bigfoot? Where is the best place to find one?

I went to tucson for 3 months last winter with Minnie and loved it even
though I like winter I was certainly more active down there. I am planing
a 2 week excursion to Nova Scotia in September with a girlfriend. I love
to play in my garden in the summer so have only had short local trips. I
am only 11 minutes to the Rouge...I have walked there but was unaware that
one could also camp. I saw a 80s bigfoot in Moncton online last week.
Worth looking at?? What should I look for? Thanks! Barb
Old 08-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #14

Now we have to ask what you will towing with for certain. In the BigFoot family only the 13' Lil Bigfoot can squeak in under the 1500 lb. towing limit that SOME Matrix's have. Again, check your owners manual.

In BigFoot FGRV's I prefer the older (and lighter) 17' because it has a very useful floorplan. But it is almost twice the weight capacity of any known Matrix. The later 17.5' BigFoot, while looking identical, is even heavier.

Here are some pics of a 13' Lil Bigfoot we used to own. Feel free to browse the other albums:
http://s363.photobucket.com/user/adv...?sort=3&page=1

Old 08-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #15

Ontario
thank-you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogeh View Post
Hi Barb, from another 'Ontario-io-ioan' in the Halibuton Highlands.

I love the Haliburton Highlands and try to go as often as i can... only a couple hours drive...there are not too many campgrounds it seems there?? I stayed at Hilly Billy once. Barb
Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #16

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Greetings from east of T.O. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #17

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I fund several references on-line for the Matrix that indicate that some years had a 1500 lb. towing limit Look in the owners manual for your Matrix and let us know what that indicates. If you don't have the original manual let us know what year your Matrix was built as.

While 1500 lbs is somewhat limiting, there are a number of viable options. We towed several different FGRV's with 4 cylinder Honda CRV and were able to stay under it's 1500 lb town limit.
Hi Bob, I ran right out to the car. the Total Load Capacity is 850 lb and the towing capacity is 1500 lbs...do you add those two together? thank-you. My toyota is an 07 and has 136000 km on it. Barb
Old 08-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #18

No, load capacity is what you can put in and ON the car, you will have to include the weight of the tongue in that, meaning that you can carry less than the 850 lbs.

1500 lbs is a real tough limit to work with but it can be done, our Honda CRV had that limit and by being very carful we were able to keep a Lil Bigfoot under that limit, but not by much.

If you look at the Hunter Compact-II pics in my photobucket link, it can be a real lightweight and there was also a Canadian version built at one time.

Please avoid the temptation to follow what "Others" may advocate or have done in regards to ignoring manufacturer's weight limits. Contrary to some earlier statements, it is only a very tiny, but vocal, minority on this site that support that concept. No more than about 5 at last count..

Old 08-13-2015, 11:06 AM   #19

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
No, load capacity is what you can put in and ON the car, you will have to include the weight of the tongue in that, meaning that you can carry less than the 850 lbs.

1500 lbs is a real tough limit to work with but it can be done, our Honda CRV had that limit and by being very carful we were able to keep a Lil Bigfoot under that limit, but not by much.

If you look at the Hunter Compact-II pics in my photobucket link, it can be a real lightweight and there was also a Canadian version built at one time.

Please avoid the temptation to follow what "Others" may advocate or have done in regards to ignoring manufacturer's weight limits. Contrary to some earlier statements, it is only a very tiny, but vocal, minority on this site that support that concept. No more than about 5 at last count..
...Toyota Matrix4 cylinders, 1.8L. Here you go, Buddy. I had been towing for years of camping...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG631.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #20
MC1

Ontario
Quote:

On the other hand Buddy, riding a positive note, I would believe that 100% of the forum members would suggest that Barb, and anyone else for that mater, tow within the safe limits of the TV and rig as a whole. By doing this everyone is happy.

Note... there are a number of trailers out there that do not tow well and there are a number of TV's out there that have, lets say, have an overly generous tow rating. There are many factors to consider when putting together a combination besides always bringing up the vehicles tow rating number.