Bed size.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #1

Name: Christy
Trailer: Scamp
Maine
Bed size....

Being new to the fiberglass camper world, I am wondering if folks might give me some insight on bed size in vintage campers. True full size bed for the most part or would that be a generous term? Are there some models with larger beds than others? We are particularly interested in a 13' model. Thank you for your thoughts!
ChristyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
"Full size" is somewhat misleading. My Scamp's bed measures 44-45" wide. I understand they do have a larger 54" size if you are willing to give up some cabinet to get it.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
HI Christy, welcome. You might find some useful information here.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...zes-29849.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyC View Post
Being new to the fiberglass camper world, I am wondering if folks might give me some insight on bed size in vintage campers. True full size bed for the most part or would that be a generous term? Are there some models with larger beds than others? We are particularly interested in a 13' model. Thank you for your thoughts!
Until recently Scamp has offered a 54" bed only in the Deluxe models, they now offer the 54" bed in standard models. In vintage Scamp Standards you will find the bed is 44" in all models.
If you can tolerate a rear entry trailer, many of them have the largest bed to interior size ratio.
Other than that, most conventional side entry fiberglass trailers offer only a 44" wide bed.
A vintage Trillium, being square, offers a bit more "roominess" even though the bed is no wider.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Welcome to the site it's great to have you here

Tony
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #6

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Christy,

AFAIK, the standard molded Scamp 16 does not yet have the 54" standard double bed option.
(Many of us wish that the 54" wide bed would be offered in the Scamp16 Layout 4.)
In the Scamp16, that option is only available in the "Deluxe".

Pictures of our 54" bed Scamp13 can be found in the later segments of the following thread.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=65096

Sadly, I don't know/remember where to find pix of the interiors and beds of other brands. 😕

Good luck on your search! 😀

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #7

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Welcome, Christy.

Dimensions may not be sufficient. Length and width can some times be misleading. For any that fit the your size requirements, I would look on the companies website to look at the layout. On many fiberglass trailers the bed corners are radiused such that you can't use the full length or width of the bed on one side.

There have been many posts on the site looking for ways to make these beds more workable.

Good luck in your search, and once again, welcome.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Welcome, Christy.

Dimensions may not be sufficient. Length and width can some times be misleading. For any that fit the your size requirements, I would look on the companies website to look at the layout. On many fiberglass trailers the bed corners are radiused such that you can't use the full length or width of the bed on one side.

There have been many posts on the site looking for ways to make these beds more workable.

Good luck in your search, and once again, welcome.
That was noticeable on early (vintage) Scamps, Bolers, LoveBugs and the like. When Scamp switched to the rear opening flat window, they squared off the rear of the mold to accommodate it. That pretty much eliminated the issue.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote