Better Late than Never - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: None yet
Arkansas
Smile Better Late than Never

Hi all,

I'm Larry and I apologize for the late introduction. I live in Little Rock and am an Arkansas native (the Heinz 57 variety ). The plan is to retire ASAP but an optimistic time line for that is 4 to 5 years. I've been dreaming about a truck camper rig but think that isn't going to happen until I sell everything and it becomes my home. In the meantime I have expanded my outlook and added a small travel trailer to my "it will do" list. I figure it's unlikely I'll go anywhere to difficult with a 2WD pickup anyway.

As you might have guessed from my username I'm an avid cigar smoker. Who knows, maybe one day we will enjoy one together out there somewhere. Stay safe everyone.

Best Regards,
Larry
Stogiesaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome! My grandfather was a cigar smoker, and he lived to be 90 years old. In the end a car got him when he stepped off a curb with his hearing aid turned off. You can make of that what you want!

IMO a trailer is often more practical for full-timing. When you’ve got 365 days a year to explore, it doesn’t make sense to drive to a new place every day. A trailer allows you to unhitch and explore a region for several days or a month without packing up everything in the RV. A bit more space might be nice during an extended spell of bad weather, too.

Of course, if you’ll be boondocking or stealth camping, you may want the all-in one mobility of the slide-in.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome!

IMO a trailer is often more practical for full-timing. When you’ve got 365 days a year to explore, it doesn’t make sense to drive to a new place every day. A trailer allows you to unhitch and explore a region for several days or a month without packing up everything in the RV. A bit more space might be nice during an extended spell of bad weather, too.

Best wishes!
Well stated! Thus the reason drivable RVs loose their value at a much higher % than fiberglass trailers. The market is flooded with little used drivables (perhaps not as much in Covid 2020) because so many newbies make the mistake of not thinking thru the downside of traveling or living in a drivable.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #4

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
Well stated! Thus the reason drivable RVs loose their value at a much higher % than fiberglass trailers. The market is flooded with little used drivables (perhaps not as much in Covid 2020) because so many newbies make the mistake of not thinking thru the downside of traveling or living in a drivable.

In my opinion a truck camper is the best way to travel. We had several and actually wintered one in AZ for a few years. We quit them when my wife had issues getting into and out of the overcab bed.,Went to travel trailers which are much easier to hitch and unhitch compared to loading and unloading a pickup camper. Many pickup trucks don’t have enough cargo capacity for a slide in camper but can tow a trailer that is much heavier than some pickup campers. My opinion. Do what you want with it.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: None yet
Arkansas
Thanks for the responses. I will eventually be boondocking once I retire and start visiting all of the various parks and BLM land. I expect to be traveling in some pretty rugged country so I think a 4x4 truck camper will be the smart way to go if not the only way.

Right now I'm just looking for something to shorten the prep for my long weekend camping forays. I am not sure how many hours I spend to "load/unload/setup<=>teardown/load/unload/put-up" all of my camping gear. I would guess at least 8 hours, probably more. I think a small trailer would fit the bill quite well.
Stogiesaurus is offline   Reply With Quote