Bill in Pittsburgh - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Bill in Pittsburgh

After having owned the same tent trailer for 30 years and now approaching retirement, I want a small fiberglass trailer. Light weight is of most importance. I have narrowed my choice to a 13 ft. Scamp with a front Dinette. I want an ice box rather than a refrigerator for less weight and less maintenance.I do not want any holding tanks for less weight. (In 30 years no need for either ever arose, I generally like to camp in primitive sites). My desire is to attain a trailer with a dry weight of less than 1200 lbs. Since my needs are well defined I know I will have to buy new. In light of the cost involved, I would appreciate any advice experienced egg rv owners have to offer in order to avoid mistakes. P.S. Just my wife and I.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Bill (and wife) in Pittsburg, welcome to FiberglassRV from Donna D. in Portland, OR.

You'll find lots of good ideas here that will suit your needs.

Good luck on the egg hunt!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
You may not need to buy new. Many Scamps have a front couch/bunks that many people have converted to a front dinette, actually a very easy job, leaving storage under both dinette seats.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Welcome Bill, good luck in your search.
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #5

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Bill,

Welcome. I'm a fairly new member of this forum myself, and I've found lots of good, friendly conversation here. Just pull up a virtual chair, kick back, and join in the fun.

As for your front dinette plan... is it just for yourself, one other, or more folks? I ask this because an easy mod for the '80s-vintage Burros like the '83 I just got is to make a small table to use between the fixed portions of the front bench. I even got a table section with mine that had been modified with a small socket on the bottom to hold it up for that duty, or it lowered to become the center section of the front bench. The original (rear) dinette is more or less permanently relegated to being a big bed, so a special full size mattress replaces the individual cushion segments.

In connection with your other specs, mine has no tanks currently, although I will eventually put in a 6 gal freshwater tank and carry a small gray water bucket. I do want my refrigerator, but the old Burros were available with an ice box instead. Supposedly, the base model came in at about 900 lb dry weight, depending on who you ask. Hope this will provide a little grist for your mill!

Regards,
Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
Bill in Pittsburgh

Green Frog
Thank you for the information. I am now hopeful that I can own an enclosed trailer with all the amenities I have grown accustomed to that will weigh less than 1200 lbs. My wife and I have towed our tent trailer of 30 years more than 200K miles. Had I had to tow some heavy monstrosity, we would have never traveled nearly as far or as often.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #7

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Bill,

Think nothing of it. That's what folks on this board like to do... share with our on-line friends (both new and old!) I got your PM and will answer your questions in more detail there, but feel free to contact me either this way or by PM any time you want to chat. These little eggs are a lot of fun for us all.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
Still have questions regarding 13' Scamp

In my desire to own a 13' Scamp, I still have questions from current owners of this model or similar models since I have not received definitive answers form Scamp Factory sales people.
1. What is a somewhat close estimate of the dry weight for this trailer equipped with a front dinette, no holding tanks, and no refrigerator and all of the extra cabinets?
2. How much weight would a refrigerator add in place of an ice box?
3. Are these refrigerators reliable or do the break frequently?
4. My previous experience has been towing a pop-up with a single side pull out bed and weighing 875 lbs. I have found that towing this trailer with multple cars over the last 30 years that my fuel mileage is generally reduced by 2-3 mpg. Does the frontal difference between a Scamp and a pop up make a huge difference?

I would appreciate your ideas regarding these questions. With the exception of a few Burros and Scamps I see being towed down the highway, I have not had the opportunity to talk with any owners.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #9

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hi Bill! I don't have good answers to your questions but just noting that I was born in Sewickley and grew up across the river in the Imperial/Oakdale area, so hello neighbor!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Hi Bill! I don't have good answers to your questions but just noting that I was born in Sewickley and grew up across the river in the Imperial/Oakdale area, so hello neighbor!
Thanks All my relatives are from the Oakdale, McDonald, and BurgettesTown Area