Boondocking or (Dispersed Camping) - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #61

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Oh, absolutely! Another limitation of bear spray. You'd ruin the trailer!
Agreed.

However, and I am not advocating one method over the other just opening up another thought. Let say you do have an altercation inside your camper and guns are brought to the fray. I suspect in a different way you could also ruin either partially or in whole your trailer this way. And what if one of those bullets pierces a propane line. Instantly you are inside a bomb that goes off or make that two if you have dual propane tanks. And what if your TV is setting right next to your camper during this altercation as the first bomb goes off or the bullet/bullets go right through the trailer and into the TV. Most likely it would be a short period before your TV goes up in flames and or explodes as well. Not that it would matter much at that point other than to hope no one else is injured or killed from the debris and shrapnel.

Granted these are all hypothetical worse case scenarios, but foolish not to consider them IMHO.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #62

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sorry Rob, I don't think that your specific fears are in need of consideration.
First... I don't carry or allow weapons in my RV's and have never read of a supported claim that anyone ever broke into an RV with one in hand.

That said, the chances of a bullet hitting a 3/8" diameter LP line is more than slim to none and, as I have actually seen, (in PD firearms training) shooting a bullet through a CRT TV just makes a mess, and with a flat screen TV, would only result in a hole in the TV and whatever is next in the line of fire. And one would have to be behind said bullet strike to be hit by any shrapnel. But, if it were a risk, I would be happy to promote that as another reason to not.... in the camper. Only wish I could.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #63

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Bob you might have misunderstood my comment or intent.

First I don't have any fears as you describe, but rather was only responding to bear spray vs using a gun inside of a trailer should such an altercation occur. Both can make an ugly mess if deployed. Yes I did paint a worse case scenario, true but only for the sake of effective comparison.

Hopefully this will clarify my intention.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #64

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
If it happens. I will take the chance of a mess or a hole. And hopefully get to walk away.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #65

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
If it happens. I will take the chance of a mess or a hole. And hopefully get to walk away.
Hope those other campers outside get to walk away too.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #66

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Hope those other campers outside get to walk away too.
I second your concern !! If firearms are present we leave the area immediately if not sooner
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:57 PM   #67

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I figure from past experience that this is about where the thread gets closed.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #68

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
As long as people continue to post respectfully, and just state their thoughts on the subject without any argument, then move on, there is no need to close the thread. We just ask that folks continue to do just this.

Other members will be able to draw their own conclusions from what they already feel or believe, while taking into account thoughts expressed here.

If you have said your piece, your opinion will be noted by all who read the thread, so there is no need to reiterate your stance.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #69

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I second your concern !! If firearms are present we leave the area immediately if not sooner
I wonder how you get any camping done? After all, most campers with firearms are carrying them concealed. It's altogether possible, perhaps even likely, that someone in the CG has a firearm just about every time you're there. With that kind of knowledge, how do you get comfortable with camping in any CG where other campers are present? For that matter, how do you even live near other people, when there's not telling which or how many of your neighbors possess guns?

Really the fact is this: despite the likely presence of armed campers near you, no harm or violence ensued and all went well for your camping experience. Just like the presence of armed neighbors around your house have not caused you harm (I assume...). Presence of firearms nearby is not inherently dangerous or alarming.

But if if makes you feel better, I guess you could always go door to door and check all the camping people, so if anyone in the CG has a gun, you can pull out and go elsewhere....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #70

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I wonder how you get any camping done? After all, most campers with firearms are carrying them concealed.
I understand your position Mike and when in the US I assume everyone but me is packing unless of course the folks camping beside me also happen to have Canadian plates BUT the problem is in my experience not everyone does conceal their guns and keeps them concealed.

I have pulled into two separate camping areas on BML lands - once in Calf. and the other in Arizona, where I have turned around and left right away - way to many people out doing open target practise with hand guns which puts me way out of my comfort zone - don't really want to know what happens after those folks have a few to many pops around the campfire at night. I recall taking a drive up one back road in southern Arizona and you would have been hard pressed to find a single cactus over the 5 mile drive that didnt have a number of bullet holes through it. I grew up in an area with the highest population of cougars in North America so I was taught how us a shotgun at an early age, so I not totally paranoid around guns. But the open use of handguns is just way to creepy for me!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #71

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'm somewhat with Steve in that if I were to see any weapons displayed in a campground environment that I would be concerned that either; a) someone thought that there was a threat or, b) someone seemed to have some sort of unnecessary need to display a weapon. First stop would be at the Ranger/Owners to ask if this was allowed, if so, I'm gone, if not, I'd request that the perpetrator be asked to leave.

Short of it being a Hunting Camp of some sort, a campground isn't an appropriate place for the unnecessary display of firearms

That's sorta like, if you don't see em', don't worry, if you do see em', find out why.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #72

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I wonder how you get any camping done? After all, most campers with firearms are carrying them concealed. It's altogether possible, perhaps even likely, that someone in the CG has a firearm just about every time you're there. With that kind of knowledge, how do you get comfortable with camping in any CG where other campers are present? For that matter, how do you even live near other people, when there's not telling which or how many of your neighbors possess guns?

Really the fact is this: despite the likely presence of armed campers near you, no harm or violence ensued and all went well for your camping experience. Just like the presence of armed neighbors around your house have not caused you harm (I assume...). Presence of firearms nearby is not inherently dangerous or alarming.

But if if makes you feel better, I guess you could always go door to door and check all the camping people, so if anyone in the CG has a gun, you can pull out and go elsewhere....
Mike . I respect your rights under the law and your opinion . We all have to do what we feel is best/safe for ourselves and our families . As Carol noted not all people act responsibly ,such as consuming alcohol while in possession of a firearm .My opinion differs from yours but I expect you to extend the same respect to me as I have extended to you .I am not paranoic about this situation just extremely cautious. Thank you
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:31 PM   #73

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
One thing to remember to help put things in context is that for United States citizens the right to keep and bear arms is a Constitutionally protected right, and just as important as our other Constitutional rights. That being said, common sense, sound judgement and a high level of training are a really important part firearms ownership and use. I can pretty much guarantee that you will never know if I am armed.
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:46 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
One thing to remember to help put things in context is that for United States citizens the right to keep and bear arms is a Constitutionally protected right, and just as important as our other Constitutional rights. That being said, common sense, sound judgement and a high level of training are a really important part firearms ownership and use. I can pretty much guarantee that you will never know if I am armed.
Me too!
Old 02-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #75

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I agree with Oregonian and Papa-t
Most of my life I've carried firearms Job requirment... Infantry now as a LEO. I have and carry OC. ASP and a firearm. I have a can of bear spray mounted by door in my RV. The only time I'm stressed about some one with a firearm is if its pointed at me or I'm in uniform responding to a call! I'm just as stressed by ax, club, knife or otherwise. I'm more worried about a drunk, impared or texting driver than a gun. A firearm is a tool no more no less.
I've "camped" in a lot of places, some of them I was carring no weapons (USA and Europe) and a lot of the places I was carring many weapons (SWA)
FYI some countries in Europe are not as stressed about firearms as some in the USA. in the past (80s-90s)
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #76

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
OK to skedaddle

Thanks for all your many great comments.
My 11 yo grandson and I were camping at one of the many small free fishing campgrounds along a river in the Washington Cascades...cowboy style...for the experience...bedrolls on tarp, beans cooking in the can over a fire, watching the stars....telling stories...until a drunk in a nearby campsite began shooting his gun. We threw everything into the car and skedaddled!

I since bought my Scamp - under similar circumstances I'm skedaddling. Drunks and guns don't mix.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #77

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I have no problem with concealed carry. I just don't expect to ever get comfortable with seeing strangers packing weapons.
I'm with the contingent that would prefer to pack up and camp elsewhere. Fortunately most of the places we camp it's illegal to have guns so I never worry about it.
I sure hope it never becomes an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #78

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
The thing is: where firearms are illegal to possess, only the bad guys have them, because the good guys obey the law. Being in an area where only the bad guys have guns doesn't give me any comfort.
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:19 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
The thing is: where firearms are illegal to possess, only the bad guys have them, because the good guys obey the law. Being in an area where only the bad guys have guns doesn't give me any comfort.
Amen! To the point. Exactly
Old 02-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #80

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
There are no bad guys where I go camping, just nice friendly folks. One of the things I love about camping.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking