Boot and cover recommendations? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #1

Name: Gillian
Trailer: SCAMP 13'
Oregon
Boot and cover recommendations?

Hello!

We just bought our first camper and we're super excited to join the community. In 2 weeks we will have a brand spankin new 2013, 13' scamp (no bathroom). We've got 2 little ones and a Great Dane to squeeze in and hit the road from time to time.

So, we're accessory shopping already
We want some way to lock it up when it's outside like a hitch lock or lockable boot/ leveler and a cover. We've shopped around online a little but would love to know what you all recommend or to steer clear of. Recommendations? Opinions?
Thanks so much!!
PDX scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Welcome, and congrats on your new trailer.

I now just use a coupler latch lock. Lots to choose from out there. You can remove the hitch from the vehicle and lock it in there for further security if you wish.

I don't use a cover (yet) so other will have to point you in the right direction. A bit of a search of past posts will turn up lots of discussion on them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #3

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Look at beverlybay.com for a cover. They make horse trailer covers that will pretty close fit the scamp.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm happy with the one sold on eBay.
Deluxe Scamp 13' Travel Trailer camper Cover w Zipper Door Access | eBay
Old 04-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #5

Oregon
Thanks team!

We've been looking at that ebay cover... Glad to hear you like it.

Some of the lock/ hitch threads i searched were pretty thin... But I'll keep poking and hopefully hear more about favorites.

This is so helpful!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hitch Locks can be two edged sword. If you lose the key for some you could be in big trouble. For that reason we keep a spare key hidden inside our trailer. I'd tell you where we hide it, but then I'd have to order yet another hit and I have already used up this months pre-paid allowance.

Latch locks can usually be bypassed simply by disassembling and reassembling the hitch.

We have a Fulton Gorilla Guard on our Lil' BigFoot, and it's fine for our home parking space and at campgrounds. However, I think that it can be easily defeated with brute force and would not suggest using one in a storage area where you might not see your trailer for weeks or months at a time.

BTW: Most storage facilities offer little or no insurance against theft or damage to your trailer when parked therein. Be sure to ask them and your ins company.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #7

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I too havve the cover sold on Ebay. I think its good quality for the price. The first time I used it, it was a PITA to put on. Also, the "front" tag should have been in the back of the trailer. After the first use, I folded it a certain way when I took it off. Then when putting it back on in the reverse order, it was no problem getting it on. It has 2 web straps and a cord that go under the trailer and attach on the opposite side. So its pretty secure.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #8

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Welcome! How exciting! Are you having it delivered or picking it? If you are picking it up at the plant that will be a very long drive.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Just as an FYI here is Texas there has been some issues where they sweep by in a pick up truck that has no tailgate and two people or so (Im not guilty so can give you an exact amount) and they pick it up by the tongue and just haul it away thereby defeating that lock. The storage guy here said to run a big chain around the wheel so it cant be toted away by rolling if you are going to store it on someone else's premises.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Gillian, welcome to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here!!!

Your screen name is PDXCamper. I'm also from Portland and live in "breezy" east county... and that puts it mildly! IF YOUR TRAILER isn't perfectly CLEAN when you put a cover on... ANY COVER that touches the gelcoat and you live (like I DO) in a windy area... all the dirt/dust/twigs that get embedded in the soft underside of the cover will scrub the gelcoat... like sandpaper. Just letting you know.

If you are around the last weekend of April, come out to Champoeg SP and visit with us. The park is full, but we would love to meet you and you will learn a ton of stuff from all molded trailer owners and see models you may never see otherwise. Click here for info: April 25-28, 2013 Spring NOG - Northern Oregon Gathering Champoeg State Heritage Park

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #11

Oregon
Oh! Really good info! We'll be storing on our property in our own drive but we'll look into some of these options. Hmmm... Maybe we don't need a cover than? It will be in our drive most of the time and sheltered from wind but not rain. We're considering just fixing the carport up for her...

We're actually getting it delivered. We really wanted the road trip but only without little ones, so factoring in flying in gramma, renting her a car, our gas and food for 4 days blah blah blah it was WAY more than to have it delivered. Plus I want to save my days off for some scamping!!

We visited a model in Corbet oregon before buying so we're really excited!

Thanks for all the support!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #12

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome, that's quite the visual of all of you in the Scamp! You'll have to post a pic when you get it.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #13

Oregon
Weeeee!!! Just heard our baby is getting delivered probably Thursday. Can't wait to have her filling up our driveway! Thanks for all the accessories thoughts team!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #14

Oregon
And we just got the call they should be delivering around 9 am tomorrow! So bummed i'll have to wait till 5 to see it after work. Wish I had some vacation to burn so I could wait at home for it
Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX scamper View Post
And we just got the call they should be delivering around 9 am tomorrow! So bummed i'll have to wait till 5 to see it after work. Wish I had some vacation to burn so I could wait at home for it
The hatching is happening! And when you get home... there will be a brand new egg just waiting for you. Exciting time! Please post pictures, so we're as excited as you. Coooooooool!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX scamper View Post
If you don't have a lock you're happy with I have one I'll sell you pretty cheap. For this one you remove a lug nut, put a small bracket on then there's a bar that goes from lug bracket to edge of tire and around the tire. I've believe made by the same company that make "The Club" for steering wheel locking. You can see the trailer lock here. I see etrailer price is about $90 plus shipping. I'll sell you mine for $30 if you want to drive to Salem to get it.

Most trailer thefts happen in driveways. I've not heard of any problems when in a campground. In hookup I have locking pin that holds the tow bar into the receiver on the tow vehicle. I learned the hard way to always, I mean always put a lock on the hitch latch when I connect it to the tow. In camp I just simply lock the latch closed most of the time. Some times I'll use lock that prevents the hitch from being used.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Today's the day! Can't wait to see pictures...

Per locks:
I bought a three-piece keyed-alike set much like this one- one each for coupler latch, ballmount, and a big honkin' plug-type that goes inside the coupler when unhitched. Link
The set comes with three keys, but I also immediately had a couple of spares made. I keep a whole extra set of car/trailer keys hidden, just in case.

Have fun!

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #18

Oregon
Oh no! Just got delivered damaged. we may be sending it back ... In middle of this right now. Will post pics later.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #19

Oregon
Oh no! Arrived with damage do we accept it and get it repairs locally or send it back for a new one?!?!? Ahhh! I hate pressure decisions!!!
Attached Thumbnails
image-3882504106.jpg   image-3728200963.jpg  

Old 04-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #20

Oregon
Supposedly got blown off the road. I'm worried about non visible damage... Am I being silly? I guess an RV place on the way told the driver the gash was "repairable"....BUT he had the hose section repaired already on the way. Ug.
Attached Thumbnails
image-375293053.jpg