Bought a 2021 Honda pilot EX AWD to tow Parkliner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-24-2021, 05:45 PM   #21

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Registry
Brake controller

I would NOT tow it without a brake controller. If you start to have sway that is one of the ways to help correct it by applying some light trailer brake only. The weight of your trailer says in most states that supplemental trailer brakes are required and a better reason is for your safety and the safety of others on the road by you. Also a breakaway switch is probable required in the event that something in the hitch and safety chains fail. It is always best to go the with all required safety equipment install and functioning correctly. Trailer sway often happens when around large trucks or other large RV's and when it is windy or on downhills.

Check in your area for a mobile RV tech as he could install the require brake equipment if no shop can do the installation in time. Go to Etrailer.com to get prices on controller, breakaway switch and wiring, so you have an idea what the parts will cost. You can call them and they can usually tell you what you need for each model of vehicles. Their prices are good and shipping also. I have bought several things there over the last several years. They have good connections to most all product manufactures for the items they sell and will contact them if there are any questions they can't answer.
ROBERT ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:33 AM   #22

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ47 View Post
Hello fellow travelers,
We made a hare-brained decision to replace our 2009 Honda Ridgeline with a 2021 Honda Pilot EX AWD. It has the 9 speed transmission which most newer one have now for some reason. Let's just say that I wish we had kept our old Ridgeline which was easy to understand and maintain. It is done though and after jumping through many hoops with the dealer we got the hitch and harness installed. They recommended we also have an ATF cooler added even though our Parkliner dry weight is about 2,000 Lbs. Then they said the cooler was not available so we would be fine without it! Hmm that was when they could not get the part.
We are thinking that we will be okay if we do not load up the Parkliner (wont fill the 40 gal fresh water tank, we don't use the propane so will leave the 2 tanks off, etc) Will try to avoid steep mountain passes.
Has anyone in the forum towed with a 2021 Pilot without the ATF cooler?
Worried about not having the ATF cooler.
Thanks
Not a bad choice, the Parkliner was actually designed to be pulled behind a Honda Odyssey mini van.
AmcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:21 AM   #23

Name: Maria
Trailer: Parkliner 2018
Maryland
PJ, I have a 2018 Parkliner. This is my brake controller, wireless, effortless pairing. Works great and I love it. And this is a great price. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...ontent=General
Maria in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:37 AM   #24

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
...Our 2016 Parkliner fully loaded weighs about 2800 lb. No problem for our 2017 Highlander. But, you should learn how to downshift on steeper up-hill grades, and, perhaps keep it out of "overdrive"
I think our fresh water tank holds about 30 gallons. The Black tank is 40.

Wayne, my 2018 specs say: 2700 lb dry weight, fresh 15 gal, gray 30 gal and black 12 gal. I wish my black tank had a 40 gal capacity .
Old 09-25-2021, 10:54 AM   #25

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria in MD View Post
Wayne, my 2018 specs say: 2700 lb dry weight, fresh 15 gal, gray 30 gal and black 12 gal. I wish my black tank had a 40 gal capacity .
You have a liberty outdoors model. Wayne bought the original Parkliner.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:12 AM   #26

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmcGee View Post
You have a liberty outdoors model. Wayne bought the original Parkliner.

So Liberty Outdoors didn't build the original? Don't know the history, other than I toured the factory in NC around 2015 and fell in love with it. It was Liberty Outdoors then. Still, I wish it had a 40 gal black .
Old 09-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #27

North Carolina
The original was built by Parkliner Inc. in Gibsonville,NC. Then a few In Burlington, NC and last but not least there were some 1st style built by liberty outdoors in Liberty, NC.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:27 AM   #28

Maryland
Thanks AmcGee/Aaron. I took the tour in Liberty. Was it the same people/company even when they changed location? And I truly wonder why they sold (?) to Lil Guy and Lil Guy didn't continue building it.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:42 AM   #29

North Carolina
It was actually a merger between the two companies, and the little guy line just kept going, it is built by a different company now just using the name.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:59 AM   #30

Maryland
I heard the molds were bought by Trillium and the name would be something 'Escape' or something like that. A while back I checked the Li'l Guy website and 'Parkliner' was nowhere to be seen.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #31

North Carolina
Yes, our plant the Parkliner factory was shut down first then the little guy plant in PA kept running and was about to shut down and the company was bought. At that time the new owners liquidated all NC assets which included 2 sets of molds. The new style and the old style. Trillium does own the new style molds as far as I know, have not confirmed for myself. The old style were bought locally, the old style molds has just now changed hands again. I am not able to reveal any more info about this at the moment out of respect to the new owners. Thus info should come out soon.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #32

Maryland
Did not know about the PA plant making the Parkliner. Had I known I might be the owner of a brand new one (though I'm ecstatic with my new-to-me & 2nd owner of my 2018). Thank you for the information. And yes, Trillium does/did have the molds. I contacted them about a year ago and asked and they replied in the affirmative via email. I posted their reply here, so it's here somewhere.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #33

North Carolina
Ok, that is nice to know I could possibly be reaching out to them. Congratulations on the Parkliner I hope you have many years of enjoyment from it.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #34

Maryland
AmcGee, as with anything, due diligence and research is a must. They have an "F" BBB rating. Deposits made, company not communicating w/customer, months delayed in product, months delay in getting deposit refund...and that was for the Trillium (they named the 'Parkliner' as 'Outback Escape'). Just a thought. I googled 'Trillium Camper BBB rating'. I don't know any of this personally, just what is public on the internet.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #35

North Carolina
Yep, Parkliner was a long hard lesson learned for me and alot of other people around the original company. It the very beginning I was just the carpenter. That was originally the reason I got on the forum in those years.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:17 PM   #36

Maryland
Well, glad to see you here. I see you have a Parkliner. What year, and are you happy with it? So far, I love mine (got it 7/2019). The only issues are the belly band coming unglued (outside, driver side) under rear window and the 3way fridge losing cool on propane. I think the fridge/propane might be debris in the gas jet, which, after several viewings of youtube vids and looking at the manual, I will attempt to clean. Those here on the forum that have done it said it fixed that issue
Old 09-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #37

North Carolina
Sorry, I do not own a Parkliner but I did work at Parkliner from pretty much the beginning to to the end. Hopefully not truly the end for me, I am looking to the future.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #38

Maryland
Sorry, I do not own a Parkliner but I did work at Parkliner from pretty much the beginning to to the end. Hopefully not truly the end for me, I am looking to the future.

Oh I thought you owned one, since below your name (profile?) says "Trailer: Parkliner". I wish you great forward looking to your future.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:04 PM   #39

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
British Columbia
Towing with Pilot

I towed a Escape 17B loaded with a 2013 Honda Pilot with no issues at all in over 20 K. I just turned off the Eco mode when in hilly terrain. I would get yourself a different dealership.
David and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:08 PM   #40

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
All cars have a Transmission Fluid cooler built in to the radiator, (as far as I know)
Towing packages might add a supplemental cooler in front of the radiator.
Hopefully you have an engine coolant temperature gauge. IF your transmission gets too hot, it should show up as an increase on the temperature gauge.

Our 2016 Parkliner fully loaded weighs about 2800 lb. No problem for our 2017 Highlander. But, you should learn how to downshift on steeper up-hill grades, and, perhaps keep it out of "overdrive"
I think our fresh water tank holds about 30 gallons. The Black tank is 40.
The Honda Odysseys are noted for having transmission problems and are super fussy about their proprietary transmission fluids! Anyone in the know who tows runs a aftermarket transmission cooler. You can find much more info at the www.odyclub.com . Now I admit I know nothing about the Pilot, exceot that they have a much pricier transmission fluid. I'd be checking at www.piloteers.org for more info!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner