Bought an '01 Casita, need feedback on a/c hole in front - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: currently shopping
British Columbia
Bought an '01 Casita, need feedback on a/c hole in front

After looking at a couple of 13' trailers (a '79 Boler and a '90 Lil Bigfoot), I managed to find an '01 16' Casita 3 hours from home which cost about the same amount of money. I was fortunate to have a friend who is an RV technician who happens to live in the city where the Casita was, so I got him to check it out for me before I drove up there to meet with the buyer.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that it appears to have a non-standard opening in the front of the trailer for the portable a/c unit. It looks like one of the previous owners just cut out a section of the wall and made a removable panel to cover the hole when the a/c unit isn't being used. Can someone please confirm that this isn't a factory modification?

Any ideas for a better way (ie: nicer looking and more waterproof) to seal this opening?

FYI this is a standard model Casita, meaning that it has no bathroom, which is exactly what we were looking for. So it has two bunks in the front. The portable a/c unit, when in use, sit on the bottom bunk.

BTW I live in British Columbia, Canada. I'm guessing there aren't many Casitas around here.

...lars
Attached Thumbnails
casita-001.jpg   casita-002.jpg  

casita-003.jpg  
lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I have a 16' casita and the air conditioner from the factory in the bath model like i have is on the lower right side (curb side) there is a large louvered vent (about the size of your opening) in the lower right front where the hot air comes out and another smaller vent just below the belly band on the right side in front of the door for fresh air in...... the rain cover on mine in the front is nothing more than a piece of vinyl that is the same size as the outer rim of the vent with four common sense fasteners (turn type buttons same that are used on the front of semi's to hold the winter covers in place) What you have there will work fine and all you need is a piece of vinyl to cover that vent but would probably get rid of that pushed out cover you have now and replace it with a vent (casita stocks them just give a call a get the measurement from them ....they also have the cover and the turnbuttons..... If i can find a picture of mine i will post it. Looks like a nice trailer you bought
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks for the info. I had a closer examination of it today and it's definitely not something that looks like it was done at the factory. I'd cover it with a metal plate of some kind, but the fact that the area is curved makes me skeptical that I could properly seal it up using a metal cover. I think my best approach would be to use fiberglass.

...lars
Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #4

If you decide to keep it as an air conditioner you get the appropriate size vent to cover the hole put caulk on the backside and then starting at one end drill holes about every three inches to get it curve to the shape of the body....just be sure the louvers in the vent face down on the outside so water runs off it like shingles on a house and the vinyl cover over it and i never had a problem with water coming in..... the same approach can be taken with thin sheet metal with the caulk behind it if you don't want the a/c.
If you have the skill to do the fiberglass (I don't yet) that would look the best
Joe
Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #5

British Columbia
Hey Joe, what would you recommend using, rivets or screws? If rivets, would I need washers behind the fiberglass for the rivet ends to mushroom against?

...lars
Old 09-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #6

either would work and you would not need washers behind on rivets as it is not holding any weight..... sorry it took so long to get back as i missed your reply somehow.
Joe
Old 09-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
either would work and you would not need washers behind on rivets as it is not holding any weight..... sorry it took so long to get back as i missed your reply somehow.
Joe
Thanks for the feedback, Joe.

Tags
casita